DR500GW Lost GPS

mordred

Reaction score
Country
United States
Coming home from work this afternoon I noticed that my GPS light went out right as the camera announced it was exiting parking mode. The video shows it blink off then back on and then back off - where there was a speed indicator there is now --- .

Any thoughts? Running the modified firmware at 12Bps.

Thank you.

Seems to be a common problem. Anyone found a fix that does not require diss assembly?

yeah hit the reset button in firmware browser. do a forum search theres 2 methods.

I do not think the GPS reset in the browser is the same as pulling the residual power (battery) from it. I have completed the browser reset and still have no GPS functionality.

How do I get the two halves of the case apart at the end? The photos show a small screw on one half and a tab on the other. For those that have taken it apart, does that screw indeed go into the tabbed portion?

If not, how has everyone managed to get it apart without breaking it?

Thank you.

------

OK, you have to take the panel by the wifi indicator off and get to the screw behind it.

I have unplugged the GPS module and even went so far as to remove the 3v battery. Still no GPS. Any ideas?

contact Mio, i'm sure he would love the challenge, or send back for warranty.

GPS unit is burnt out!

Ok guys,

So I got this Blackvue DR500GW WiFi and the GPS got destroyed due to an excessive heat inside of the car. Symptoms: No accurate time, it would always default to the year 1979 after restart. When connected to the camera in WiFi mode while driving, no accurate speed was being displayed. Spent two days troubleshooting, reset the firmware, reformatted the card no joy the GPS chip is burnt.
This camera does run very hot and will destroy the GPS chip. It appears that the extra vents on the camera do nothing to cool the unit and really; more efficient firmware should be written for the camera to use.
Place where I purchased the camera from was great. No questions asked, just refunded the money back minus the restocking fee which was $60, ouch!
Currently looking for another camera out there, but can't find anything that would have a good reputation. Might try the same camera one more time, if it busts, it will then be over.

Re: GPS unit is burnt out!

megaspeed said:
Ok guys,

So I got this Blackvue DR500GW WiFi and the GPS got destroyed due to an excessive heat inside of the car. Symptoms: No accurate time, it would always default to the year 1979 after restart. When connected to the camera in WiFi mode while driving, no accurate speed was being displayed. Spent two days troubleshooting, reset the firmware, reformatted the card no joy the GPS chip is burnt.
This camera does run very hot and will destroy the GPS chip. It appears that the extra vents on the camera do nothing to cool the unit and really; more efficient firmware should be written for the camera to use.
Place where I purchased the camera from was great. No questions asked, just refunded the money back minus the restocking fee which was $60, ouch!
Currently looking for another camera out there, but can't find anything that would have a good reputation. Might try the same camera one more time, if it busts, it will then be over.

Very strange as we had our Blackvue 400 in USA last year and it performed flawlessy even at Vegas on 104F days and was sitting in the sun and the steering wheel was to hot to hold the camera still worked.

So dont know where all these heat problems come from

My 500 works fine in our heat here in Queensland as well Leave the car in the sun Inside temp over 40C and camera still works

I doubt it's heat killing the GPS, the GPS are generally rated way above the temps the camera can handle, around 125c is common

jokiin said:
I doubt it's heat killing the GPS, the GPS are generally rated way above the temps the camera can handle, around 125c is common

I agree as I have used various GPS devices the world over, some in temps exceeding 120° F.

What I do not know is the correlation between the 3v battery and the heat. Since I removed the battery and performed a browser rest my GPS has come back to life. It has not been as hot as the day it quit yet so we shall see if this fix will last. While I had it apart I took the time to paint the lens bezel matte black. Quite easy to do once you have the case disassembled.

Back