DR500GW says WIFI signal is too weak

Art B

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought this dashcam after favorable reviews. It worked great. Only problem was my antiquated Droid-X. It allowed me to display a live view but because it was a 3+ year old 720p phone it wouldn't play back previously recorded videos via WIFI. So I upgraded to the Samsung Note 3 and Ohhhhh what a difference. Life was great. I even got my IPAD on board and all worked well...for two weeks. Then one day while trying to pull up Live view to adjust the lens, I got a message, "WIFI signal is too weak, return to files list"

Very fast forward, Amazon sent me a new camera...same problem. I then tried my IPAD...it worked fine. I even resurrected my old phone and with the exception of not being able to view recorded videos, it allowed me to view the Live view.

If it wasn't for the fact I already had it up and running on the new Note 3, I would swear the smart phone was the issue, but that's not the case.

Now I have the 2 week old camera ready to send back to Amazon but I'm also considering sending back the new one they sent since it didn't change a thing.

Can anyone out there offer any suggestions? I'd certainly appreciate it.

Are you viewing it via wifi while the car is on or in parking mode?

Are you viewing it via wifi while the car is on or in parking mode?
Thanks for the response, but no. For weeks all I had to do was get in the car, start it and make sure WIFI is on then pull up the app. It was always very simple and straightforward. Now, as I follow the same procedure, I get that message. Also, I believe I failed to mention, the camera still works fine and records as it's supposed to but now, if I want to view an incident, I have to remove the SD card from the camera and put it in either my cellphone and watch the previously recorded videos or punch the SD card in my computer and watch it in my office. It's very frustrating...it worked before but it just stopped cooperating...and I've done absolutely nothing between the time it worked and the time it stopped working.

Strange. I have zero issues with wifi signals. BUT I only use it when I'm in the car. Not sure if it was meant to be used to monitor from the office.

Strange. I have zero issues with wifi signals. BUT I only use it when I'm in the car. Not sure if it was meant to be used to monitor from the office.
VBX, Of course it's designed to be used to monitor from the office, or your basement or your mancave or where ever you have a computer capable of accepting and playing back a mini SD card. I think you misunderstood me...of course the "CAMERA" is designed to be used in the car. But, if something occurs on the street, whether I'm involved or we say I am behind an incident and I want to show an officer at the scene what I recorded, I used to be able to bring up the BlackVue app on my Samsung NOTE 3 smart phone. And, while standing in close proximity to my (still running) dash-cam, I'd be able to view, highlight and play back the segment in question by way of the the WIFI. Now...I get the message that my WIFI is too weak so I'm left to doing one of two things...remove the mini SD card from the camera, remove my SD card from my phone and put the camera's SD card in my phone to play it back OR....take the mini SD card to my OFFICE (which is where my computer is) and play it back that way.

I just got an email from Pittasoft. I posed my same dilemma to them about the wifi signal strength. They solved the problem. They told me to go into the WIFI settings then go one more step into the "Advanced" WIFI setting and unselect the "Auto Network" button. I don't know how that button got selected in the first place let alone what it's for, but my problem is solved so that's what matters right now. Thanks for the input and interest in my situation.

I just got an email from Pittasoft. I posed my same dilemma to them about the wifi signal strength. They solved the problem. They told me to go into the WIFI settings then go one more step into the "Advanced" WIFI setting and unselect the "Auto Network" button. I don't know how that button got selected in the first place let alone what it's for, but my problem is solved so that's what matters right now. Thanks for the input and interest in my situation.

Art,

How did you get to the "advanced wifi settings"? I took the sd card out of dashcam and plugged to my PC, I opened it and there r 3 tabs; basic, sensitivity and wifi-etc. I went under wifi-etc but all I see is the "auto-run" on/off button. Is that what you are talking about turning off to make it work? Will pm u my email and phone number if easier to explain. Since the signal is weak to my Note 3, i can access the settings in the app itself.

Tia

Ian B

Hi Lan,

The problem is lies on your mobile not DR500 cam. This function only applied to Samsung note 3 or any Samsung hp running android 4.3 jelly jean. GO to WIFI advanced setting, unclick the auto network switch. I think this function is stupid !

I have a note 3. This screen does not display. "Always allow Google to scan for Networks when wifi turned off"
Nice one. April Fool!

My Samsung note 2 just updated to jellybean 433 it had no problems connecting before now have the same problem as above .I have tried the fix but it works intermittently say 1 out 15 times no matter what I do restart phone restart blackvue

So once again the poor old camera gets the blame when it something else causing the problem LOL

Just found a fix for above problem its called wifi fix its on google play works fine for me running jellybean 433 with blackvue software on android

My problem is with the blackvue 550 is loss of DAB even after rerouting the cable even that is to short to put rear cam on the bottom of rear screen and hissing on playback is realy bad so ordered another one whilst waiting for a reply from blackvue uk about new type of cable to help DAB. New one has a lot less hissing on playback but where rear cam plugs into side of blackvue the socket is loose on the board so have to hold it in. The rear cam cable was so hard to unplug so that happened. this is meant to be removable from the car there is no way that connection will last. Going to return both and just get the blackvue 500 one so no DAB loss or socket to break.

Last edited:
Art,

How did you get to the "advanced wifi settings"? I took the sd card out of dashcam and plugged to my PC, I opened it and there r 3 tabs; basic, sensitivity and wifi-etc. I went under wifi-etc but all I see is the "auto-run" on/off button. Is that what you are talking about turning off to make it work? Will pm u my email and phone number if easier to explain. Since the signal is weak to my Note 3, i can access the settings in the app itself.

Tia

Ian B

Hes talking about the APP on the PHONE Not the viewer in a PC

Back