DR550GW-2CH - worth it?

Landon-Zicknit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR550GW-2CH
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a DR550GW-2CH. Is it worth it? I see a lot of information online with people complaining about bitrate/video quality and some other small bugs hoping these will be fixed in future firmware updates. I've got no confidence they will be upping the bitrate; the ARM A8 SoC that the camera is built upon is probably near its limits encoding two h.264 streams as it is. In terms of power think iPhone 4. Also if the hardware could take this without trouble it would already be enabled from the factory; they wouldn't limit it without reason. Unless its to make the files manageable and streamable over wifi? The other bugs like the BST timezone issue I'm sure they will resolve.

Don't really need the back cam but could be useful. Finevu CR500 looks to be better picture quality but taking the data off by having to remove the card or take my laptop to the car seems like a faf. But then also with the Blackvue I don't want to have to sit with my phone in the car for hours after driving downloading a file at some crummy transfer rate so maybe it would be easier to get device that the card is easily accessible. Also with the Finevu you've got the hassle of the external GPS module and having to mount it on the windshield.

Hmmmm - any help or 2 cents much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Read the threads, make up your own mind There are endless questions identical to this and all the info is there, both good and bad, for posters to read, .

Only you can know which is best for you.

My tuppence worth:

As above really, you need to make your own choice....
But for me right now, the rear camera is being a bit of a thorn in my side... The loss of DAB is a pain - but what is more annoying is that routing the cable was a real fiddly job as the car has 8 airbags to navigate and keep the cable away from, so I have a reluctance to pull the cable out & re-route (but will do when I get the time).

Also if the hardware could take this without trouble it would already be enabled from the factory;
With regards to this.... I'm not so sure I agree with the statement. If I were to draw an analogy to the car itself... "remaps".... if a simple remap can squeeze an extra 5-25% out of a cars engine because the hardware can take it, then why don't they? Hypothetical question, I don't want a response ;)
The 500 model (without rear cam) came with a low bitrate too, but the custom firmware has boosted that to an acceptable level with (as far as I have read), no detrimental effect on the unit. (This is what I'll probably buy for our other cars, unless I see something better).

for what it's worth, I've found the file download speeds not to be too bad - but then I would only download one if I needed it, so that's my preference.
(If only they did a windows app or windows phone app I'd be even happier, as I have to use the crappy old ipad just to download the footage.)

Thanks for the info RacingSnake. Can I ask what car you've got? I guess anything built in the last 5 years is chockablock with airbags so this is a problem for most users. Nightmare scenario - airbag goes off to be restricted in some way by the cable going to the rear camera.

Taken on board what you've said about the bitrate. These Russians seem to be pretty efficient at modifying the firmwares so we can live in hope. I'll always lean towards scepticism though; have bought things in the past though on the proviso that firmwares or 'jailbreaks' were on the horizon that never materialised *COUGH*Apple TV 3*COUGH* :oops:

lol, yes, I know what you mean re: firmware updates, but hopefully there are some switched on guys out there to fix the cam. (and your apple tv)

My car is a Range Rover Evoque, so I was a little reluctant to start pulling it apart in the first place :D

I have the same dilemma with the DR550GW-2CH as I like the parking mode the wireless feature and the 2 channel capability, what I don't like is the low bit rate, and also question if the bitrate can be improved, as to why would they launch the model knowing its inferior to the competition, also the bit rate will always be lower as it also needs to support a 2nd (rear) camera with will always be compromise as compared to single channel cameras.

Just to put a spanner in the works have you considered the RoadHawk HD bit rate is 12bps got GPS, and uses 64Gb SD card, but no parking mode, however I have been informed you can now get 32Gb integrated wireless SD cards.

On a daily basis I keep swaying between the two. In providing the 2 channel capability I would need to buy a separate standalone unit such as the RoadHawk 720 but would have the inconvenience of having to separate cameras which are not integrated and synced together.

I can not justify buying two RoadHawk HD cameras, for me any current camera will be compromise as the ideal solution in not available yet and may not be for another year or two?

Last edited:
Thanks Estoril Sport - that RoadHawk HD looks very interesting. The 2 channel was never a 'must have' for me and neither is parking mode (I can't see it being useful as the camera starts recording 5+ seconds after the knock is detected which to me is too late as evidence for anything).

Thanks for the info RacingSnake. Can I ask what car you've got? I guess anything built in the last 5 years is chockablock with airbags so this is a problem for most users. Nightmare scenario - airbag goes off to be restricted in some way by the cable going to the rear camera.

Taken on board what you've said about the bitrate. These Russians seem to be pretty efficient at modifying the firmwares so we can live in hope. I'll always lean towards scepticism though; have bought things in the past though on the proviso that firmwares or 'jailbreaks' were on the horizon that never materialised *COUGH*Apple TV 3*COUGH* :oops:
Thanks Estoril Sport - that RoadHawk HD looks very interesting. The 2 channel was never a 'must have' for me and neither is parking mode (I can't see it being useful as the camera starts recording 5+ seconds after the knock is detected which to me is too late as evidence for anything).

Parking mode is the main reason that I brought the DR550 .. and I actually think it's pretty good. It doesn't start recording 5 seconds after the knock is detected .. it starts recording 5 seconds BEFORE the knock - it's is always buffering the last 5 seconds to enable it to do this..

When I first got the camera I did think that the low bit rate was a bit of an issue, but having had it for a while you realise that you're not using it to make movies.. it's only really there to provide evidence in the event of an accident (or to get videos of people's crazy driving to post on YouTube :) ).. for this I think the quality is fine..

Also, I'm using a 64gb card which stores about a weeks worth of video before it gets overwritten.. if the bit rate was higher, the quality would be better but the files would also be bigger meaning less recording time on whatever sd card you have...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Thanks Rich, you've convinced me with that. I've order a DR550GW and a battery protector hookup thing to wire it up nicely.

I'm using a 64gb card which stores about a weeks worth of video before it gets overwritten.. if the bit rate was higher, the quality would be better but the files would also be bigger meaning less recording time on whatever sd card you have...

I thought the DR550GW would only accept 32Gb MicroSD cards? What manufacture of 64Gb Micro SD card do you use? This now sways the preference back to the DR550GW! Only running on a 32Gb MicroSD card was a limitation as the RoadHawk HD also works with a 64 Gb SD card

The DR550 didn't officially support 64gb cards - you can't format them on the camera itself.. but if you use a utility to format the card on a pc using 32k cluster size they work fine...
Search the forum .. theres a discussion of how to do this on here somewhere...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Like Rich, I'm using a 64GB card formatted with cluster size 32kb.
Works fine, but it is a pain not being able to format on the unit. Native 64 support would be great!

I have the same dilemma with the DR550GW-2CH as I like the parking mode the wireless feature and the 2 channel capability, what I don't like is the low bit rate, and also question if the bitrate can be improved, as to why would they launch the model knowing its inferior to the competition, also the bit rate will always be lower as it also needs to support a 2nd (rear) camera with will always be compromise as compared to single channel cameras.

Just to put a spanner in the works have you considered the RoadHawk HD bit rate is 12bps got GPS, and uses 64Gb SD card, but no parking mode, however I have been informed you can now get 32Gb integrated wireless SD cards.

On a daily basis I keep swaying between the two. In providing the 2 channel capability I would need to buy a separate standalone unit such as the RoadHawk 720 but would have the inconvenience of having to separate cameras which are not integrated and synced together.

I can not justify buying two RoadHawk HD cameras, for me any current camera will be compromise as the ideal solution in not available yet and may not be for another year or two?
If I planned this right I would have gone for the Roadhawk for the front and a Mini 0801 for the rear same price but i would have Full HD front and rear. and GPS fornt and rear. as well as better quality video. or I would have gone with two Mini0801 cameras, anything but what I ended up with the DR550GW is what I got but not up to standard with other cameras at £300+ its not worth it.

This is my personal opinion and its up to you what you buy. Unfortunately I didn't find this site until after I had bought the camera.

Just an added note. the sellers that I have contacted eg the chap in Ireland and the chap at advanced in-car have been very fast with responses, and considering I bought from the Irish distributor ,who has been great BTW, advanced in-car has also been a great help.

If I planned this right I would have gone for the Roadhawk for the front and a Mini 0801 for the rear same price but i would have Full HD front and rear. and GPS fornt and rear. as well as better quality video. or I would have gone with two Mini0801 cameras, anything but what I ended up with the DR550GW is what I got but not up to standard with other cameras at £300+ its not worth it..

In my experience of doing a lot of [mostly crap] mods, changes and updates to cars if something is self contained, discreet and easy to use its worth 10x more in the car environment as opposed to at home or out and about. Nothing worse than things that don't fit properly, difficulty of use, wires dangling all over the place, etc. This doesn't necessarily mean that I disagree with what you've said here but just remember having an all in one unit like this does have benefits.

Re: the pixelation/blocking... I think in the case that you really needed the footage (i.e. 'knock for knock' that wasn't your fault) the quality would be more than adequate. It's this point made by RichC above that convinced me.

In my experience of doing a lot of [mostly crap] mods, changes and updates to cars if something is self contained, discreet and easy to use its worth 10x more in the car environment as opposed to at home or out and about. Nothing worse than things that don't fit properly, difficulty of use, wires dangling all over the place, etc. This doesn't necessarily mean that I disagree with what you've said here but just remember having an all in one unit like this does have benefits.

Re: the pixelation/blocking... I think in the case that you really needed the footage (i.e. 'knock for knock' that wasn't your fault) the quality would be more than adequate. It's this point made by RichC above that convinced me.

I agree about mods on cars, I like stock cars that don't have loads of mods. the dr550gw does have a neat and tidy design. That's why I went for it, however having two separate cameras is not a major problem after all running a wire front to rear would be needed for either camera setup.

If I have a crash and the time or date are not "relatively" accurate then it cant be used as evidence. also I have tried all sorts of different setting on the camera and cant get the reg to be clearly displayed. if someone swung across hit me and I stopped and they left I would have no real way of proving it was them after all I can only read number plate when they are moving at the same rate as me or when I am parked and there moving slowly.

I have to park on a quite busy road when I am collecting my disabled friend and When i review the footage I cant see what make and model some of the cars are when there going fast as there all blocky, so much that the outline of a brown / black car the other day looked like a stealth fighter all i know is it was fast and Low. never mind the reg. I am a motor trader so that you would think would be easy for me.

In defense when the lighting conditions etc are right its amazing but you still struggle to see registration numbers.

When you view the video in the viewer on your computer you can pause it at a selected spot and usually read the plate That's what I do and frame by frame it till I can Using the magnifier can work also when plate is at closest point to you.

have trouble with the rear camera (DR350) reading plates even when in close as in tailgating but still good enough to identify driver and can yell out the plate number for later on my front camera

I have done the saying the plate a few times and have frame by frame stepped through video to see when the plate becomes readable.

if the car is travailing say 20MPH past you in clear light no rain like on there demo footage, or travailing towards you at around the same speed.
on there website
http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=17,
you should be able to read the reg with the zoom function like in there video. but you cant.

"note can someone re-size the images to half page width"

Taken from http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...-out-by-a-van-again-good-job-i-have-add.3081/

Some times the image blends into one big mess all together. Wow...
Now granted on the video you can see the bus as its starting to pull in, but the bit-rate means it runs out of time to store all the info so it just blends it into one until it empty's the buffer.

vlcsnap-2013-11-14-11h50m02s245.png

Now you cant see this reg and its closer then the Blackvue video. you don't get to read the reg until the car is in front and i have caught up to it a little more.
vlcsnap-2013-11-14-11h50m47s174.png

vlcsnap-2013-11-14-11h51m01s115.png

In this image you should be able to see the reg of the bmw x5 heading towards me. I am near stationary and if he had swiped my wing mirror off I would have nothing.

vlcsnap-2013-11-14-11h52m13s48.png

Back