DR550GW - Recovery of GPS, time zone, English voice prompts

Re: DR550GW - Recovery of GPS, time zone, English voice prom

This is awesome! I'll try it out tonight on my Korean 550 and see how it goes. Thanks for the link!

By popular demand of English-speaking users, our team is ready to continue to surprise owners Blackvue.
Follow the news on the forum, is actively working to develop custom firmware for BlackVue DR550GW-2CH
If you have questions you can ask in the forum, active and experienced users will always help you in many matters

A link to car-DVR.info was posted by the mightyboo yesterday in the sticky at the top of the forum. I'm surprised (my mind is blown actually) by the fact there is a Linux server living in our camera complete with vi and shell programming. Hack city! I wish I could do this but my Blackvue is on its way to Korea for autopsy. Except for the 1.008 failure on my camera I just love this cam. The team at car-DVR are brilliant.

looks like im a member on the wrong forum now, see you there when I get some time. maybe goodbye here.

defbear said:
there is a Linux server living in our camera complete with vi and shell programming. Hack city! .

most cameras are running embedded Linux of some sort

REMEMBERING THIS THREAD IS FOR THE 550 NOT THE 500 that most of us have.

If it isn't it says it is but others have been confused between the two recently.

The firmware should alert you as there is no version that is shown here for a 500

Maybe you can do the same with the 500 but be sure to use the correct firmware Like 1.005E or 1.008E

[offtopic]Recovery of GPS, time zone adjustment, the English voice prompts...
Only BlackVue DR550GW-2CH[/offtopic]

Last edited by a moderator:

alexsoll said:
[offtopic]Recovery of GPS, time zone adjustment, the English voice prompts...
Only BlackVue DR550GW-2CH[/offtopic]

??????? Am just pointing out that some members may have not noticed that your thread is headed DR550

Most of the posters on here have DR500cameras unless they have bought new ones in the last week

The firmware in the link is also different to the versions used in the DR 500.

Some clarification as to the suitability of doing this in the DR500 and which firmware to use would be very helpful. We appreciate the advice but it needs to be specific or someone may brick their camera

Last edited by a moderator:

jokiin said:
defbear said:
there is a Linux server living in our camera complete with vi and shell programming. Hack city! .

Sure, compiled and running specific programs shut tight as a drum. I can't login into my Sony Cyber-shot camera. I would not expect a Login on a dashcam. And then it runs your commands and scripts. It's not a bad thing for many of us. Think of all the wav files you can substitute. It can be used for good or for mischief. I'm surprised Pittasoft left it open.

defbear said:
jokiin said:
defbear said:

Sure, compiled and running specific programs shut tight as a drum. I can't login into my Sony Cyber-shot camera. I would not expect a Login on a dashcam. And then it runs your commands and scripts. It's not a bad thing for many of us. Think of all the wav files you can substitute. It can be used for good or for mischief. I'm surprised Pittasoft left it open.

some cameras have alternate firmware versions as some enthusiasts have worked them out and been able to recompile the firmware with mods, I remember some Canon models where this had happened, the weakness for the Blackvue product I guess is the WiFi access, would have been much harder without that

I have just received my DR550GW Korean version. Anyone knows to convert to English firmware and the viewing
software in English? BlackVueSetup(HD)_E_v2.032 does not work with Korean SD card (BlackVueSetup(HD)_K_v2.034)
I don't understand the steps mentioned in this post. Where should I download the firmware? I could not find any link in the CarDVR forum website mentioned in this post.

References are not available to anonymous users. It is necessary to register on the site.

Hi Alexsoll. English speaker here. I tried following your link but since I can't speak Russian I'm not sure where to go. I'd hate to ask you as I'm sure you've said it a million times. Is there custom firmware yet for the 550? If yes do you have a link? Thanks.

Matt,
You can be 100% sure, that if there was custom firmware for the 550, it would have multiple threads about it by now. :| Especially given that pretty much all owners are waiting for it (or for some decent firmware upgrades from Pittasoft).

I like the fact that they test the cameras before they release the firmware, I wish Pittasoft were so caring.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be following this thread for updates. I was trying to translate the link he put up but it wasn't working out to well haha.

Hi Matt,
Custom firmware is developed . This is done at the moment:
16.09.2013 - Try a new kernel Linux v2.6.35.7
Differences from Pittasoftovskogo :
- Aborted " lishee " : the unused drivers , file systems , etc. ( decreased nuclear volume , increased speed of loading )
- Inserted Support exFAT file system on the basis of initial tests of SAMSUNG
- The driver card wi-fi RTL8192 installed the latest version : 3.4.4
- In the kernel includes support for CIFS (SMB) to be able to mount the / upload directory protocols CIFS / Samba
- Are included in the kernel drivers Hisilicon Watchdog and Hisilicon RTC

14.09.2013 - After the torture , testing and tinkering with the source , collected the full usable Linux kernel with all the drivers for the DR550, then , the author has filled in the recorder , it works! ! So now would be a full-fledged Linux - with all the necessary options (optional) .

planned:
- Insert the exFAT file system support SDXC card in the kernel.
- Implementation of the camera warning sound (Speedcam)
- In stock WDR in DR550 is not involved , but in the custom bikes we turn it on and will " roll out " in the near future , along with a bunch of other settings.

anyone got a translation LOL. Thanks Alexsoll for the update.

Back