DR650GW-2CH GPS not locking on behind BMW athermic windscreen

BenedictF15

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Has anyone solved the "athermic windscreen problem with GPS signal" ?

Athermic windscreens are great for blocking the summer's hot sun rays but.... they block the GPS signal too.

at the very top/center of the windscreen there is a small portion of the windscreen normally used for your toll transponder (allows for the GPS signal to go through) but it is unfortunately camouflaged with black dots... making it an impossible location for a dash cam.

Has anyone found an elegant and efficient solution or a repeater that is not a horrible piece of plastic with tons of cables difficult to hide ?

Thank you.

... yes but no thank you..... unless there is a much better product available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone solved the "athermic windscreen problem with GPS signal" ?

Athermic windscreens are great for blocking the summer's hot sun rays but.... they block the GPS signal too.

at the very top/center of the windscreen there is a small portion of the windscreen normally used for your toll transponder (allows for the GPS signal to go through) but it is unfortunately camouflaged with black dots... making it an impossible location for a dash cam.

Has anyone found an elegant and efficient solution or a repeater that is not a horrible piece of plastic with tons of cables difficult to hide ?

Thank you.

I am still stuck with this problem. Am I the only one out there with that problem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had my DR650GW in a 2011 Sonata and it is now in a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. In the Sonata it was mounted dead center just below the dots. In the Jeep it is mounted above and to the right of the mirror mount. Neither one has given me any problems with the GPS. Have you tried the camera outside the glass just to see if the GPS is actually working?

One-Six

The GPS is working outside. I have another car with a DR550GW Blackvue Dashcam. I swapped dashcams from one car to another and in my 2017 BMW X5 F15 the GPS does not work for the 550 or the 650. Does your 2006 Jeep have an athermic windscreen ? Maybe my car has a more recent windscreen technology ?

I am sort of thinking the Jeep does not have one. I Have my toll transponder on the other side of the mirror and it works fine. But the toll authorities told me it is best to mount the transponder below the AS1 line because some cars windscreens can cause problems. Have you tried your camera at a lower point? In reality here in the states, we are not allowed to have anything on the windscreen below the AS1. There are so many people here with huge decals taking up the bottom quarter of the windscreen, I doubt the police will say anything about my small camera in the Sonata being just below the line.
Back out to do more yard work, Good Luck

One-Six

Back