DR650GW-2CH, vanishing files, skipping video, card support?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the risk I took getting another blackvue came with problems I was hoping to not have. anyone else having issues such as:

videos skip, some sections of the video slow down, then speed up, or just freeze?

i tried my new transcend 64gb sdxc, i formatted it in fat32 with smartdisk fat32 tool (although i problem should have first tried the format from the camera) and most of the videos seemed fine. only one file before an event seemed to slow down then speed up... but then suddenly it said it cant find the file I am trying to play, crashes windows explorer. reopen the folder, and the last 6 hours of files were gone.... they just deleted themselves.

so anyways, i guess my question is, should my 64gb cards be in fat32 or exfat?

i dont think i have had issues with 32gb cards in it.

edit:

i put a 64gb sandisk sdxc formatted in fat32 in my 550 with guiformat and so far all the files seem fine. so maybe ill try formatting the transcend with guiformat, and also formatting it with the camera. the reason i didnt try formatting with the camera is the sandisk had the same skipping issues.

if neither of those work, might have to send the camera back.

edit2:

oh my ****ing god... i am convinced it is windows that is ****ing something up. again, now this time with my 550, as i was going through random files, it suddenly said it cannot find the file. go up a folder then back into the record folder, and just like my 650 memory card the last 6 hours vanished.... all those files just disappeared. i feel like this has to be some issue with windows and these 64gb cards being formatted in fat32.

Last edited:
What card reader are you using mate?

the card reader that came with my 550. i am almost convinced that card reader is corrupting everything. multiple times with multiple cameras suddenly files vanish, and then there is some strange file with random letters, and when i click it... it crashes windows explorer, and i have to reformat the card. PRETTY sure i remember that happening with my innovv c2 and g1w before too. and i think each time it was when i used the card reader that came with my 550.

i just have a hard time believing i am having a camera issue because two cameras, with different memory cards, both had the SAME issue, vanishing files, then they BOTH needed to be reformatted the same day... the common thing between them is i was using the same card reader on my desktop PC.

Yeah sack it off mate and get a decent USB one - Kingston do some good USB3 ones but just get whatever has a decent review on Amazon for under $20 and you should be fixed hopefully :)

well i have never had ANY issues while putting the cards into my surface pro which has a micro sd card slot, but i prefer using my desktop. might need to finally get around to installing all my software onto my surface pro and just using a keyboard/mouse/monitor for my surface pro when I am at home.

i still am not sure if it is the card reader or my pc tho. it still could be the cameras or cards for all i know. tomorrow i am going to test the cards again, reformatted in guiformat and i am not going to use that sd card reader i am suspicious of.

the weird thing is, even with that sd card reader, my transcend 32gb card after going through as many files as i could, it had no issues, while i had used it in my new 650.

i was using the sd card reader that came with my mobius but it no longer works. just wont be detected by my pc. after unplugging and replugging it probably 10 times it did get detected once only for windows to say it doesnt recognize it. i think this happened because i pulled it out without ejecting it.... i usually do eject them, but this time i didnt, and usually when i forget, it has never been a problem.

I had issues initially with 64GB cards and it was the Technika reader I was using at the time - that went in the bin and my problems have gone away now.

Maybe the filesystem is corrupting if the SD cards test ok? Do you eject the cards before physically removing them from the PC? Sorry if that's sucking eggs but that has caught me out a couple of times when I've been in a rush.

yea in the past i have pulled them out with out ejecting them but always do now. which camera do you use?

I've had issues with quite a few cameras when the filesystem is flagged as dirty (ie not ejected) - it's caused issues with the GS6000-A7, GT680W, and G90 so far.

The LS460W seemed to actually manage to flag itself as dirty in the middle of driving which was unusual and the G90 does it on short trips as my battery in there is rubbish - at some point I'll upgrade it :)

so yea pretty positive it was just the micro sd card reader. been using a full side sd card adaptor, in my sd card reader in my desktop, been playing files left and right old and new, every day, and no issues.

Back