DR650GW Manual video lock

Harry Lime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DR650GW-2CH
Just got my first Dashcam and fitted myself without too much hassle. There doesn't seem to be a manual 'keep' button but I set the front back axis G sensor low and turned on the beep and I tested that it can keep a video by just lightly tapping the camera and getting the beep to confirm. It doesn't need much of a tap so I don't think it's going to do any harm. Will the beep be annoying by beeping for other events? I read that most people turn it off?

But if I tap say, 20 seconds into the start of a 1 min video file it will save that file, which is ok if the incident was 10 seconds ago. But if I tap 5 seconds from the start is the camera programmed to save the previous file too? That would be logical as if an accident happens 1 second into a file it would be unhelpful to just see the outcome. Still at least I will have that file in red and so be able to find the incident I wanted to keep.

The card can record up to 9 hours of video so dont worry about it Take it out when you get home and scroll through and you can then save the file.
I do it by reading the date and time and going to the record folder, find the file and copy it onto a HDD.
Far better to concentrate on driving instead of playing with the camera. If you have a prang you wont need to hit a button to save it and yes the beep is bloody annoying especially on a roughish road.

by default mine had the beep for events off, but i tried turning it on and after awhile it got annoying. also when i opened then shut my door it beeped, which i did not like because if someone were to break into my car i dont want it to beep (maybe it doesnt in parking mode? maybe i need to retest that).

either way i dont think the event files are actually locked anyways. i think all it really does is help you filter the files easier, but they still get recorded over like normal files from my experience.

by default mine had the beep for events off, but i tried turning it on and after awhile it got annoying. also when i opened then shut my door it beeped, which i did not like because if someone were to break into my car i dont want it to beep (maybe it doesnt in parking mode? maybe i need to retest that).

either way i dont think the event files are actually locked anyways. i think all it really does is help you filter the files easier, but they still get recorded over like normal files from my experience.

The normal files get written over first followed by the older event files When I was on holiday I left the camera for about 10 days before I saved the files and it only had the previous days files on it. No event files earlier than that.

So if you want anything it pays to save it at the end of the day it happens

Took it out today and it did beep a few times over bumps so it could get annoying. 9 hours of files sounds a fair bit. Is that with the 16GB card? If I only drive for half an hour and when parked there's just an occasional person walking past to trigger it then it could last a few days?

Leaving it for 10 days and only having the last days video is disappointing? Did that happen with visible passing traffic so it never got to rest? I'm hoping it will be useful if I leave it in airport parking for a week.

Personally I would turn the motion sensor off if I were leaving it for a week. The g sensor is sensitive enough that just shutting my car door sets it off in parking mode. Someone breaking in the window would likely set it off.... Or bumping into the car.

Took it out today and it did beep a few times over bumps so it could get annoying. 9 hours of files sounds a fair bit. Is that with the 16GB card? If I only drive for half an hour and when parked there's just an occasional person walking past to trigger it then it could last a few days?

Leaving it for 10 days and only having the last days video is disappointing? Did that happen with visible passing traffic so it never got to rest? I'm hoping it will be useful if I leave it in airport parking for a week.

It was driving up to 300 miles each day in one stint on a 32G card. Didnt matter nothing happened

Back