DR650S-2 proximity sensor not working...

Discussion in 'DR650S' started by Brian Whitfield, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Brian Whitfield

Brian Whitfield New Member

United States
    Is anybody having issues with their proximity sensor not working? I was showing off my BlackVue dashcam to a friend recently and tried to show how the proximity sensor would turn voice recording on/off. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to do anything at all (my friend was not impressed). I know when I first got the DR650S-2 a couple of months ago, the proximity sensor worked ok. Now I get nothing. I've checked and double-checked the settings and its definitely enabled. Could the recent firmware update have affected the functionality of the proximity sensor?

Thanks...

2. gpb

gpb Member

United States
    It'd help if you'd describe how you're attempting to trigger it...

I find it works best if I place my finger on it for a couple of seconds.

3. Brian Whitfield

Brian Whitfield New Member

United States
    Pretty simple... Per the instructions in the manual I "Touch or wave a finger within 20mm of the sensor to turn the voice recording function on or off". I have tried numerous combination of actions to trigger the function. Nothing works. I finally got a response to my complaint to BlackVue suggesting I reload the firmware (been there, done that...). Will probably switch to a more reliable dashcam in the future.

4. cookoo

cookoo New Member

Australia
    Dash Cam:
    DR650S-1CH
    If it is just been powered up, wait a few more seconds before the sensor starts to work.
    If you have just turned on/off the audio, also give a few more seconds to let it settle before triggering it again.

Better to conduct this trials with the voice announcement on - so that you know the action is completed successful before triggering another.

Hope the above helps.

Mine works fine.

5. gpb

gpb Member

United States
    As @cookoo mentions, it takes a bit for the camera to boot and be ready. Holding a finger over the sensor for a couple seconds works fine on mine. If yours truly isn't working, talk to your vendor regarding warranty replacement.

Which specific dual channel, wifi, GPS built in, parking-mode, manual-recording dash cam do you think is "more reliable"?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  6. bpsmicro

bpsmicro Member

Canada
    I just nipped out to test mine. It does work in Parking Mode. I basically touch where the sensor is, I haven't tried waving close to it.
    I previously had audio turned off for recording, and touching the sensor turned it on/off. When I re-enabled audio recording (the default), then touching the sensor turns if off/on. So basically the first touch put it to the opposite of your default setting, and the second touch puts it back to whatever your default setting is.