DR650S-2CH and Parking Mode

Over60

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
DR650S-2CH w/Power Magic Pro.
I have just installed the DR650 and the Power Magic Pro....I'm sure they are both installed correctly.....
Driving video is great...BUT.!!
How do I get it to go into parking mode...??
I've tried parking and turning the switch to "parking mode" and it records everything....... Does NOT shut off.... Is it not supposed to shut off and only turn on with movement or impact to truck.???
I put firmware 1.006 on it when I got it and I've seen that some people were having trouble, so I just put 1.005 on it, but have not tried it yet.

Any suggestions or help...much appreciated..!

Thanx

By the way.... to enter "parking mode" do I wait till I shut off the truck and let it power down before turning on the switch for Parking Mode...or do I turn the switch ON before shutting down.... The instructions are very unclear...

Thanx..

Your cam does not shut down. It's on for the time that you set it to on the PMP. In parking mode the cam is still on and it will record because it sensed something (leaves, branches moving, passing people/vehicles etc). Some have even claimed that the flashing security light on the car 's dash starts the cam recording.

If it's wired up properly, the PMP will switch the cam to parking mode (green flashing light on your cam) when you turn off your ignition.

If it's wired up properly, the PMP will switch the cam to parking mode (green flashing light on your cam) when you turn off your ignition.

Umm. It is my understanding that the PMP... "only" provides power to the camera. It has two options switched..off or on. When "off" only the ACC connection will power the camera.. When "on" it supplies power through the always on connection. The "only" thing that turns the camera into parking mode is a lack of movement as sensed by the camera. The sensitivity of the camera (to detect movement shock etc) can be controlled... but unfortunately it is so sensitive that ANY movement captured by the camera will keep the camera running.

Having said that.. this is on my DR650GW.. the "S" model may be different.. but the PMP is still.. just a switch

What switch are you talking about? The one on the PMP? That doesn't put the camera into parking mode, it only controls whether or not the PMP supplies power to the camera when the vehicle is turned off.

The camera itself decides to go into Parking Mode after a period of no movement. It comes out of parking mode when it senses the vehicle is in motion.

This is different from a camera like the F770 which directly receives constant and switched power and thus can discern if the vehicle is on or off. The DR650S merely gets power from the PMP or other device and thus has no direct means to know when you've turned off the car.

What switch are you talking about? The one on the PMP? That doesn't put the camera into parking mode, it only controls whether or not the PMP supplies power to the camera when the vehicle is turned off.

The camera itself decides to go into Parking Mode after a period of no movement. It comes out of parking mode when it senses the vehicle is in motion.

This is different from a camera like the F770 which directly receives constant and switched power and thus can discern if the vehicle is on or off. The DR650S merely gets power from the PMP or other device and thus has no direct means to know when you've turned off the car.

That's what I meant to say, but I was in a bit of a rush this morning.

I went golfing yesterday and turned the PMP switch to "on", thinking that would turn on "parking mode".... When I returned to the truck, I just drove home....

When I reviewed the footage.... It never stopped recording during my golf game at all.... I was parked pointing toward an open field where there was no movement that I could see at all.....

New camera, so wondering how to use it... It IS wired according to the instructions.

By the way....does the green light on the PMP come on when the switch is in "ON" position, when parked.??

Thanx.

I went golfing yesterday and turned the PMP switch to "on", thinking that would turn on "parking mode".... When I returned to the truck, I just drove home....

When I reviewed the footage.... It never stopped recording during my golf game at all.... I was parked pointing toward an open field where there was no movement that I could see at all.....

New camera, so wondering how to use it... It IS wired according to the instructions.

By the way....does the green light on the PMP come on when the switch is in "ON" position, when parked.??

Thanx.

The PMP should always be on, if you wish to use the cam in parking mode. The cam is very sensitive and your open field probably had grass and leaves moving around. The green light shows your cam in parking mode. If you view the files, you'll see different colours against the files. On my version, black files (lots of them) are the videos it recorded whilst in parking mode. The files will also have "pf "and "pr" in the file names.

You should have the manual on your SD card. If you can't find it go to blackvue.com/download.

OK... Looks like My PMP is faulty.... No green light when in P mode....
No recordings with the "P" designation, all "N"......just records everything when parked....!!
I've contacted seller and another one is in the mail...

Thanx guys... will update y'all if I get it before next Friday, as "I'm outta here .... heading to B.C. for 3 weeks....!!

Want it working for the trip, if possible...

Video quality is awesome on this DR650...!!

Umm. It is my understanding that the PMP... "only" provides power to the camera. It has two options switched..off or on. When "off" only the ACC connection will power the camera.. When "on" it supplies power through the always on connection. The "only" thing that turns the camera into parking mode is a lack of movement as sensed by the camera. The sensitivity of the camera (to detect movement shock etc) can be controlled... but unfortunately it is so sensitive that ANY movement captured by the camera will keep the camera running.

Having said that.. this is on my DR650GW.. the "S" model may be different.. but the PMP is still.. just a switch

Does your PMP show a green light when switched "ON" while parked..?? Mine does not..! The camera does NOT show a green light either.. should it..?

The "green" light comes on when the PMP is switched in the on position. (and is off when the switch is off). If /when the PMP is turned on your camera is powered from an always on circuit. While powered from the PMP your camera is subject to the switching options you have set on the PMP by those little toggle switches on the PMP. When / while the PMP is turned off (no green light) your camera is powered from the ACC circuit and will only run while that circuit has power.

Remember that the camera is continuously recording.. it only saves to the SD card that video that changes. Park mode is an effort by Blackview to limit how much video is recorded when there is no visible change in the video.. Sadly it is so sensitive that it is almost a complete waste.. because that empty field.. is in fact moving, there are ants.. clouds.. leaves ..the wind.. birds.

So... silly question.... You *HAVE* enabled Auto Switching to Parking Mode in the DR650S configuration, yes?

Let me ensure one thing is clear: the PMP does not control the DR650 going into parking mode. The PMP is there to cut off power at either a specified delay after the car is switched off, or if the battery voltage drops below a certain threshhold with the car turned off. The switch on the PMP merely controls whether or not the PMP will provide power after the car is switched off. To repeat, the PMP only channels power to the camera, it does not control its state.

The DR650S switches to Parking Mode if it the vehicle is stationary for five minutes. Presumably if you have "Auto Switching to Parking Mode" setting set to Off, it won't switch over and will just remain in Normal mode.

So... silly question.... You *HAVE* enabled Auto Switching to Parking Mode in the DR650S configuration, yes?

Let me ensure one thing is clear: the PMP does not control the DR650 going into parking mode. The PMP is there to cut off power at either a specified delay after the car is switched off, or if the battery voltage drops below a certain threshhold with the car turned off. The switch on the PMP merely controls whether or not the PMP will provide power after the car is switched off. To repeat, the PMP only channels power to the camera, it does not control its state.

The DR650S switches to Parking Mode if it the vehicle is stationary for five minutes. Presumably if you have "Auto Switching to Parking Mode" setting set to Off, it won't switch over and will just remain in Normal mode.

UPDATE...
OK, I have auto switching to auto-mode turned on. I now tried turning OFF the sensitivity altogether.
I found out that if I turn the PMP to ON before I shut the truck off, the green lite on the PMP will now stay ON..so the camera should go into Parking mode by itself, right.?

Well, that didn't work. It recorded for about 5 minutes and stopped recording.
I walked around truck waving my arms....the sensitivity setting is set to OFF.... It did NOT record. Good.
I then jumped onto the tailgate to see if it would record me....It did NOT.
I'm convinced that the unit if "FUBAR"......

Hope the replacement gets here fast...

Cheers

Wait, you have been turning off the truck then flipping the PMP switch to ON? Not sure it works properly if you do that.

Normally people just leave the PMP switch set to ON and only turn it off on the occasions where you for some reason didn't want the camera to go into Parking mode. It doesn't hurt anything for the switch to be ON when the truck is running. Just leave it ON unless you don't want parking mode.

Okay for the shock sensor. What happens if you're in the truck, let the camera go to parking mode, then knock on the camera body? It has a setting to make noise when an G-shock based event occurs, so it'd be easy enough to tell (if you have it switched on). It's possible the camera is faulty, it's also possible the sensitivity is messed up.

I doesn't go into parking mode with the PMP hooked up. Without the PMP it does. (with acc. on and cig lighter adapter.)

There is supposed to be a green lite on the camera when parking mode, correct? I don't get that with PMP hooked up.

Lets try again... The PMP is just a switch to power the camera. When turned on.. (and the green light on the PMP is on) the power to the camera comes from an always on circuit.. And your camera is recording subject to the controls set on the PMP.. as in time or voltage. When the PMP is turned off... the camera only records when there is power from an ACC circuit.

The camera is recording video all the time... providing it has power.. It only saves to your SD card when there is movement (as in, the recorded video is changing from one frame to the next because the vehicle is moving). When.. the camera senses there is no change in its position.. as in the vehicle is stopped.. from either its GPS not changing or no movement from its accelerator sensors it goes into park mode.

The sensitivity of when to record to CD in park mode can be set in the settings of the camera..

There is NO green light on the DR650GW 1 CH.. your DR650S may be different.. but I doubt it.

I doesn't go into parking mode with the PMP hooked up. Without the PMP it does. (with acc. on and cig lighter adapter.)
That makes no sense. There are two wires going into the camera. Power and ground. No "communication" or signaling. The camera has no way to know how its getting power.

There is supposed to be a green lite on the camera when parking mode, correct? I don't get that with PMP hooked up.

Have you read the manual? If not, I'd recommend it. The DR650S "REC" LED blinks orange in normal mode and blinks green when motion is detected in parking mode.

So, per above you say the camera works fine when plugged in directly and not when through the PMP.

Please describe how you've wired the PMP. What did you connect the Red, Yellow, and Black wires to?

New

That makes no sense. There are two wires going into the camera. Power and ground. No "communication" or signaling. The camera has no way to know how its getting power.

Exactly my problem...it makes no sense.!!

Yes...read the manual....it does NOT flash a green lite on the camera in parking mode with PMP hooked up and engine off as it does not go to PM. I even set sensitivity to "0" and to see if the leaves were not letting it go into Parking mode, but nothing I can do will get it into PM with the PMP on and ignition off.

With the PMP set to OFF and ignition OFF.....When I turn the PMP to ON it does NOT turn on.....ie: the green lite on the PMP does NOT come on, like it is supposed to. Does yours..? The BlackBoxMyCar guy there said it should turn on in that scenario.

Whatever... should have a new one Monday..

Thanx guys for trying to help me here, but I'll wait till I get the new one and make the switch over and see what happens.

...will update you when that happens.

How is the PMP wired? What color wire to what connection. Please answer that question. There's a reason I'm asking.

Back