DR650S-2CH IR unboxing, first impressions

Scotty_Gun

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue 650S-2CH IR, Mobius
My new Blackvue shipped overnight from blackboxmycar.com. I did not realize they were located in British Columbia. I ordered the basic wiring package. It includes everything I need for a hard wire. I don't intend to hard wire right now, though. My 2017 Civic has a pretty discrete compartment where the accessory plug is located. I also ordered the 2 ft. cable for the IR cam, since both cameras will be on the windshield.

Everything looks good to go. I've got two comments/gripes, right off the bat, though.

First, the power cable is a DC male on the camera side and a full size auto accessory (cig lighter) plug on the other side. This means, to power the unit, I need to be in the car. It also means that I'll need an accessory adapter/expander to add a second socket for my phone charger and third camera that I already have wired in the backseat. I was hoping for USB on the power side. I wanted to power the unit up in may apartment, this morning, and play around with the configurations. I'll have to wait until I do the install.

Second, the mounting brackets utilize RED colored double sided tape. That red tape will be very visible through the windshield and that totally negates the discrete form factor of the cameras that is supposed to be an "anti-theft" selling point. If I can manage, I am going to use black double stick tape for the installation.

never seen red double sided tape before, red backing tape on the double sided tape is normal though

Yes jokiin, you are correct. The red part is just the backing to a clear sticky mount. I was mistaken.

Photo May 04, 3 36 07 PM.jpg

Back