DR750S-2CH Heat Survivability

Albee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR750s-2CHNL
Hello Roomies .. This will be my first New York summer with my DR750S-CHNL. The head unit is installed on the front windshield in its protective housing. The car is parked outside in the sun , with temperatures of 92 degs "F" / 33 "C" or more. Im expecting temps to rise in the hundreds Degs "F" as summer progresses. My previous Dash-Cam got damaged in the heat... Would anyone have any idea or experience on the temp handling capability of the DR750S. ? :)

Thanks Jokin. Will shut down as needed . Such a pity .. have friends working In Sudan and Kenya who are also interested .
Cheers ..

Hi Jokin .... Just seeing new software versions V1.006 for the DR750S-2CH that includes a cloud warning for ambient unit temperatures in excess of 149 deg (F) / 65 deg (C)... Impressive operational temperature specifications ... Guess this answers the question . :)

if you are parked in the sun your camera can reach 65°C when it's 25°C outside, if the car is a dark colour it will reach those temps within about 30 minutes

This is off topic but during the last snowfall we had in Vancouver (like 5cm) my friend sent me a photo of his vehicle. Right in front of his dash cam is completely bare. The heat from the dashcam kept the part above it clean with no snow or ice. So these little things do give off quite a bit of heat. (DR650GW-2CH)

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

if you are parked in the sun your camera can reach 65°C when it's 25°C outside, if the car is a dark colour it will reach those temps within about 30 minutes
Hi Jokin .... Would you know if the high Temp cloud warning feature includes a shut down of the unit for protection ?. That would prevent my checking on daily temperatures and very helpful for use in extreme climates (Sudan / Ethiopia) where temps at times get to 65°C or more. :)

Hi Jokin .... Would you know if the high Temp cloud warning feature includes a shut down of the unit for protection ?. That would prevent my checking on daily temperatures and very helpful for use in extreme climates (Sudan / Ethiopia) where temps at times get to 65°C or more. :)

I'm not sure, it's a new feature and not something I'm familiar with, would be logical to have that tied into a shutdown option but unsure if they've done that, I wouldn't run it in extreme temps though, no camera is going to handle that for too long

DR750S has High temperature cut-off feature which turns OFF the dashcam automatically when the temperature inside the vehicle reaches approx. 80 °C (176 °F) and turns back ON when temperature decreases to approx. 55 °C (131°F) .

DR750S has High temperature cut-off feature which turns OFF the dashcam automatically when the temperature inside the vehicle reaches approx. 80 °C (176 °F) and turns back ON when temperature decreases to approx. 55 °C (131°F) .
Does it log something in the internal log files when it does this? That'll give people something to look for if pondering "random" shutdowns.

Does it log something in the internal log files when it does this? That'll give people something to look for if pondering "random" shutdowns.

As of now, there isn't any internal log file on the SD card regarding High temperature cut-off feature, however, in FW ver.1.006, there is a Cloud feature which sends a push Notification when your BlackVue detects an ambient temperature of 65 degrees Celsius (149°F) or more.

This would be great if the 1.006 wasn't unusable

Hi Jokin .... Just seeing new software versions V1.006 for the DR750S-2CH that includes a cloud warning for ambient unit temperatures in excess of 149 deg (F) / 65 deg (C)... Impressive operational temperature specifications ... Guess this answers the question . :)
iow, you're in Vegas - summer temps EASILY go over 105° - meaning car temps inside the car will easily exceed 155° ... yep - pretty easy to see why electronics with insufficient thermal management systems begin to fail.

I've used the DR750S for a couple of weeks in Vegas by now, and I'm pretty dissatisfied by its performance. When it's operating, the camera slowly goes out of focus if it gets hot. In addition, parking it outside when the temperature is ~90F+ means that when you return, either the parking mode image will be completely fuzzy (and useless to identify any license plate), or that it'll have shut off, and you'll have to sit in the car with the A/C on for at least ten minutes before the camera can start again (but it'll still record fuzzy when it does).

I'm thinking about returning it, but it seems the Thinkware flagship has the same issues, and I haven't found a 2CH solution that doesn't have this issue.

I think if you park in full sun in the warmer months it's not hard to exceed the working temps of any camera

Shouldent cameras with a remote unit stashed out of the sun have a chance, sure the inside of a car can get almighty hot, but far lesser than if the camera was exposed on the windscreen.

Shouldent cameras with a remote unit stashed out of the sun have a chance, sure the inside of a car can get almighty hot, but far lesser than if the camera was exposed on the windscreen.

they will be more tolerant but not impervious

they will be more tolerant but not impervious
WHY!! if cameras subjected to the 100's of dedrees hotter in outer space, & they do ok, do you really believe we can't do it here on Earth, where inside car temperatures will never exceed 175°f ??
I think if you park in full sun in the warmer months it's not hard to exceed the working temps of any camera
should it be that way though - if you are spending $100's more than the cost of the medium quality brands ?

Last edited:
Back