DR750S-2CH - slightly out of focus

Wargoose

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR750S-2CH
I recently upgraded my DR550GW-2CH to a DR750S-2CH and was a bit disappointed to see that the slight focus issue that plagued some of the old 500 and 600 series cameras was still present, especially on Blackvue's new flagship. Since I had fixed this on my 550 easily enough, I did the same with the 750. Removed the trim ring around the lens with my fingernail (it will pop off) and then adjusted the lens. The lens was not glued in position as some older cameras have exhibited, nor did I need pliers to rotate it - finger strength was enough. It needed to be rotated nearly 5mm clockwise (as you face the lens) before I was satisfied with the image.

Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with it. The rear is also a bit fuzzy, but the 1080p is still much better than the old 720p. I'm also running a CPL filter - you can just spot the edges at the corners of the video due to the larger lens the 750 uses.

The lens was not glued in position as some older cameras have exhibited, nor did I need pliers to rotate it - finger strength was enough.

that's unusual, if it's not locked in place with a bit of glue you can probably expect it to drift off again over time

that's unusual, if it's not locked in place with a bit of glue you can probably expect it to drift off again over time

I know - the 550 was definitely glued. I have marked the newly adjusted position, so it's easily returned there. If it does ever move, I can use a hot glue gun to put a small dab down like I did with the 550. Looking at lots of other posted videos, it seems pretty hit and miss as to what you get from the factory, but I've definitely seen samples of worse focus issues on the 750. I'm sure they can move some during transit with temperature and humidity shifts, but I'm still surprised Blackvue hasn't come up with improved quality assurance coupled with a more robust way to prevent movement.

What was your process for fixing the focus? I connected my phone to the 750s wifi, and adjust the camera, but it's hard to tell from that small screen and looks like there might be compression. I noticed the stop lights in my original recordings were out of focus. In adjusting it I don't think I've gotten it any better, but like I said it's hard to tell from the small screen.

It takes a bit of time since, as you've noted, phone screens are a bit small to see the details well enough. I even tried a tablet screen and found it wasn't sufficient to check off of a live feed via wi-fi. Also keep in mind that the kind of adjustment I did probably voids your warranty, but I had seen so many posted videos that seemed a bit fuzzy I doubted my sending it back for a replacement was going to get me a perfect unit. Also, you would never be able to tell I had actually opened it up and adjusted it as there are no glue marks shifted or anything obvious like that.

Basically, remove the trim ring around the lens - use your fingernail and pull hard - there are two tabs top and bottom that you are releasing and a small notch on the trim ring that matches to a rib on the camera body that prevents it from being installed 180 degrees out of position (I forgot to take photos when I had it off). Try not to use anything metal for this, like a screwdriver, as you can easily deform plastic with metal.

You will then want to make a temporary mark on the edge of the lens next to that rib as a reference point of where you started. After that, adjust the lens a bit (start with a couple of mm), then set your camera back up and get some recordings to view on a larger screen (I took my laptop with me in the car and just took the SD card out and viewed them on there). Seems a lot of work, but all told it maybe took me an hour or so to get it where I wanted. At some point you may focus too far out and want to bring it back. I also left the rear camera unplugged through all of this so I did not strain the coaxial cable constantly unplugging it and plugging it back in (you don't need the rear camera plugged in for the front to record).

This video shows you the same kind of adjustment on an older Blackvue camera:

The lens sits a bit shallower in the 750, but you can still grab it just fine. I was able to move it by squeezing hard with my fingers, but you could use small needle-nose pliers if needed, though I would probably wrap them in tape first so you don't mar the plastic.

Thank you for the reply. I did get the cap off yesterday and a tiny mark that lines up with that rib so I know where I started.

I was affraid you'd say that about your process, pulling the SD card and all that. I think I noticed the focus the most with stop lights, so I'll try to use that as a reference object.

Yeah, it helps to drive in high traffic areas with lots of road signs, street names, license plates, etc. that you can read on the video and see if the clarity improves. You're still limited by bit rates, lighting, etc. but overall I was really pleased with the results and am quite happy with the camera and the 60fps smoothness of the video. Try to drive the same small route between adjustments so you are looking at the same stuff repeatedly and can see improvements.

Thank you for posting this!
I was not very happy with the video quality of my DR750S-2CH, then I noticed that rear camera shows clearer video. Searched and found this post. Now, I can read license plates on live view on iPhone.

Back