DR750W-2CH + PowerBank

beom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I've recently ran into an issue in my HOA garage where the property manager keeps targeting to tow my cars! Therefore am in need of help for my set up.

For now it charges wonderfully, and have the parking mode run all night. However my biggest issue is..I work 7 days on and 7 days off. My 7 days on are covered as I drive, charge and parking mode till I go to and from home/work. On my 7 days off, I do not drive at all (literally no miles once it goes back in the garage) and therefore no charging occurs and is just pure parking mode is required for 7 days straight.

I want to replace the Neo after its use with a 12V power bank Li-Ion to lengthen parking mode. Since it is garaged in a temp controlled space I am not worried about this factor. I was wondering if this set up is done correctly: I have a portable battery (1) specified below. I want to connect the usb-A to the power bank with the other end being a DC 12V (2) to connect to the camera end. Is this correct? I will also be unplugging the back up camera as it will be against the wall/not required and reduce power usage. I am not looking to connect to fuse/battery of my car. Thanks in advance.

Setup:
-DR750W-2CH + 128 GB
-Cell Link Neo 6 charged via cigarette socket whilst driving
-(1) portable battery: 20,000mAh Output Type-C/DC: 5V-3A 9V-2A 12A-1.5A(MAX) / Output USB1: 5V-3A 9V-2A 12A-1.5A; USB2: 5V-3A(MAX)
-(2) Wiring: DC 5V to DC 12V USB Voltage Step Up Converter Cable, Power Supply Adapter Cable with DC Jack 3.5 x 1.35mm

Last edited:
One additional thing to keep in mind. Are you going to check your parked car once per day or once per week? Very important factor is how big capacity memory card you are going to use in order not to be overwritten while parked.

One additional thing to keep in mind. Are you going to check your parked car once per day or once per week? Very important factor is how big capacity memory card you are going to use in order not to be overwritten while parked.

Yes daily, im not looking for any damages/accident occuring. It is mainly so that the property manager and her goons are not actively sabotaging by peeling off my parking stickers to warrant towing me again. Sad but true :/ (it’s a stupid rant.) This is to save myself and catch them for for future purposes

An expensive option would to buy an automobile LiFePO4 battery and a hobby charger. I ended up building a nearly 11.5Ah back up battery for my B124/neo 6 and it lasts around 60 hours. That costed about $30 USD in batteries (8x 32700 LiFePO4 batteries. If you are a bit handy, building one with 24 batteries around 35Ah of battery without using any extra converters.

Can you post the name brand and model of your backup battery as I am 100% sure that it isn't rated 20,000mAh at 12 volts. Most backup battery manufacturers use the shady practice of rating the packs using their 3.7 mAh ratings. That would be under 6.2 mAh at 12 volts and with converter losses, you will only get a few hours of operation.

An expensive option would to buy an automobile LiFePO4 battery and a hobby charger. I ended up building a nearly 11.5Ah back up battery for my B124/neo 6 and it lasts around 60 hours. That costed about $30 USD in batteries (8x 32700 LiFePO4 batteries. If you are a bit handy, building one with 24 batteries around 35Ah of battery without using any extra converters.

Can you post the name brand and model of your backup battery as I am 100% sure that it isn't rated 20,000mAh at 12 volts. Most backup battery manufacturers use the shady practice of rating the packs using their 3.7 mAh ratings. That would be under 6.2 mAh at 12 volts and with converter losses, you will only get a few hours of operation.
yes I've attached them below. so far, I attached to the amazon DC cord that I received today and it is powering up the blackvue and recording as it should. This is for both batteries that I have/pictured below.

I guess in a long term perspective, I hear that it may heat up the portable battery so that scares me to an extent if it reaches dangerous temp since it's drawing up a higher current.. or am I being overtly cautious now?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 4.10.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 4.10.00 PM.png
    808.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 4.10.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 4.10.13 PM.png
    797.7 KB · Views: 11
I fully doubt that they allow that pack to run even near it's max discharge capacity. For it overheating, I wouldn't worry about. Run it for 2 hours and see that it will be barely hotter than ambient temperature. Since you are in a temperature controlled storage, ambient temperature isn't an issue. As for the Capacity. the black one should have very similar capacity to the Neo 6 but may suffer slightly to all the conversion. The neo 6 claims to be 6 Ah @ 12v which is 72 Watt Hours. Your grey one claims 20 Ah at 3.7v which is 74 Watt hours. Your gray pack claims 49.6 Wh. My neo 6 only ran 750s-2 channel camera for a bit under 24 hours with GPS and WiFi on and using both cameras.

Back