DR900 video files

Yosamitysam

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got the DR900 and I’m testing it out and the files are pretty much all 1 min long. Looked in the manual and it says you can increase to 3 mins - is that it? Is there any way to increase that? I’m thinking of using the cam to sort of record a long road trip but not sure how to do that with a gazillion small clips...

Most video players/editing platforms can stitch your files together into one long vid. Here's some specifically made for dashcam use:
Dash
Dashcam Viewer
DVPlayer
There are other good choices like VLC player and potplayer etc. The app by dashcam makers tend to not do nearly as well, and the same goes for OS apps for Win or Mac.

There is a limit to file size with the data formats used for SD cards, so they can't do one really long single recording, and with dashcams the shorter files we normally use also ensure that if a file is corrupted you still have something which is better than losing everything you needed. And the smaller files tend to work more reliably. Sometimes the file length setting in dashcams affects their reliability so if you change this settiing, give the card a view afterward to make sure all is still well.

Phil

The number of clips isn't important, it's the overall total space usage. A 128Gig card may hold one full day of driving (you can do the math), which means (at least) once a day you need to offload all the card storage to some other drive (card swap, WiFi) which is going to have a fairly massive amount of available space (at least 128Gig times the number of days of the trip).
You can use one of the posted scripts or apps to stitch the small files together, and some may even allow lowered resolution to reduce space requirements. Hopefully a task you could perform on a reasonably-powered notebook overnight. The downside is that BV's own Viewer will no longer accept these stitched-together files (unless something's changed in a very recent version).

Back