DR900S 1ch test

Looking good!

What I’ve been doing with my dashcam video was to play it using the iPad Pro photo app (share) and the viewing was not very good. I’m a newbie at this and today I took the microSD card out of the dash cam and installed this card into a USB-C dongle and played it again in Files and low and behold the video clarity was much better and the license plates were more clearer. Guess I learned something new

The app is likely to be doing "on the fly" compression of the video file so it loads more quickly (or buffers for less time), this is okay if you just want to take a quick look/scan through a file but not so good when you want the "full fat" (show me all of the detail) version of the file.

I'm sure there's plenty of other dashcam users that have been wondering why the video looks pants when they view it on a mobile device using an app, it's an easy mistake/oversight to make to be fair.

Last edited:
The app'll let you choose which quality do you want to see (until you check the "Don't show again" box). DR900S produces two streams. It's nonsense to do compression on the app side because in that case the camera would have to upload the entire video in full res anyway...

IMG_3536.png

Back