DR900s 2-CH - Cloud Solution?

ILAB56

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I went out and bought a hotspot and followed along with the video tutorial on the blackvue website. My phone picks up the cloud and the icon turns blue, but only when I'm near or in the car.

Anytime I leave within 15 feet, the cloud is disconnected. My hotspot is on and my phone is connected to the hotspot. The dashcam original wifi is forgotten and cloud hotspot mode is enabled in the app.

It only connects back to the cloud when I am near the car.

Am I missing something here? Anyone know a fix for this?

FYI - I'm aware of the scheduled cloud outage going on the next couple of days. This problem occured before that.

a lot of hotspots go to sleep if they don't see any activity within a specified period, sometimes this can be adjusted, sometimes not, depends on the device

a lot of hotspots go to sleep if they don't see any activity within a specified period, sometimes this can be adjusted, sometimes not, depends on the device
My phone disconnects within a very fast period of going away from my car, so I'm pretty sure its not inactivity. I'm talking less than 5 minutes.

yes, the hotspot would have to stay in the car
Okay. I'm a dumbass lol. Thank you! That's probably the problem. I'll try it tonight.

This is probably a insanely stupid question, but if I leave it in the car how will the signal stay with my phone if I am away from my car? I know its supposed to be from the cloud, but I thought a hotspot was still wifi.

the camera uses the hotspot device to get an internet connection, not related to your phone
Ah got it. Okay. And if there was a sleep setting on the hotspot, where would it be?

Would not the hotspot be kept alive by the fact that the 900 is sending video?
Watch the data usage.

Anytime it pings the cloud server it's data so it should stay on. Definitely do a deep dive in your hotspot settings.

Would not the hotspot be kept alive by the fact that the 900 is sending video?
Watch the data usage.

Depends on how the user has it set up, but usually only if there is impact detection, so not often!

Depends on how the user has it set up, but usually only if there is impact detection, so not often!

My hotspot has a sleep function but stays on when connected to the Blackvue so I presume there must be some sort of regular communication between them that keeps the hotspot awake.

That's nonsense because otherwise Blackvue server will throw "Offline status” notification. And reaction for disconnection of the camera is instant so there is a constant communication.

Last edited:
That's nonsense because otherwise Blackvue server will throw "Offline status” notification. And reaction for disconnection of the camera is instant so there is a constant communication.

That barely uses data.

Back