DR900S-2CH Initial Impressions

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received my DR900S-2CH yesterday and have been driving with it today. Here's my initial impressions of the dashcam:

Compared to my DR750S, it's offers a very noticable bump in detail and resolution. Here's a set of comparison images with closeups of plates from both dashcams.

DR750S vs DR900S TJs parking lot license plate comparison.jpg

DR750S vs DR950S Safeway parking lot license plate comparison.jpg

DR750S vs DR900S Delorean license plate comparison.jpg

and here's a few photos of the dashcam itself:

DR900S open box.jpg

DR900S-2CH on box.jpg

DR900S and B-124.jpg

The new H.265 compression scheme is very impressive as well. File sizes are essentially the same as the DR750S with both dashcams set to the highest video quality, Extreme Mode and 25 Mbit, except the DR750S records at 1080p60 and the DR900S at 4K30. So the files aren't bigger than what we've had before. Very cool...

Update: Here's a bunch more sample footage, day and night, and comparisons with several other dashcams.

Last edited:
Thanks Vortex for those comparisons. Now I'm glad I pre-ordered through Blackboxmycar (through your YT channel). Will you be doing battery B-124 review anytime?

Will you be doing battery B-124 review anytime?

Pretty sure the B-124 is a rebranded Cellink Neo so anything you read out there about it should apply. I've had the Neo since January and have been very pleased with it. Powers up the cam far longer than my previous B-112 did and the app for viewing battery status can come in handy sometimes as I have mine hidden where I cannot get to it without removing panels and such.

And Thank you as well Vortex for the pics and your thoughts on the DR900S.

Any nighttime captures food comparison?

Are you running a polarizing filter on either camera? I'd be curious to see if that would clarify some of the license plates by reducing some of the reflection/scatter,

Thanks Vortex for those comparisons. Now I'm glad I pre-ordered through Blackboxmycar (through your YT channel). Will you be doing battery B-124 review anytime?

Yes sir. The DR900S comparisons will be the top priority though. I need to doublecheck something first and then I'll post up a video about it later today.

As far as I can tell though, the B-124 looks basically identical to the Cellink Neo that I reviewed recently. Same design, specs, capacity, app, and even the bluetooth disconnect warning. The only difference I've seen is that the price can be a little different and the B-124 is compatible with more than 1 expansion battery, but even that I'd want to doublecheck too, so I'm still doing some research on that.

Reactions: Mtz
Any nighttime captures food comparison?

Not yet. The weather's looking good today so I can go out this evening and check it out.

Are you running a polarizing filter on either camera? I'd be curious to see if that would clarify some of the license plates by reducing some of the reflection/scatter,

Nope, no polarizer on any dashcam. I have some, but I like to leave them off to keep things apples-to-apples, as well as to not compromise low light comparisons for testing. For myself though, yeah I like running them. :)

Last edited:
Pretty stunning difference, thanks for sharing!

Not yet. The weather's looking good today so I can go out this evening and check it out.

Thanks. Any chance you upload raw videos of the captures above for us to see the difference for ourselves? That would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Sorry guys! I was running the DR750S at 12 Mbit by accident yesterday so I did some more driving today with both set to 25 Mbit and updated the OP with new comparison shots.

Thanks. Any chance you upload raw videos of the captures above for us to see the difference for ourselves? That would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah sure, I'll upload some. Give me a few. :)

Edit: Here's the clip of me sitting in the parking lot.

I'll get you a driving clip in a bit as well.

Last edited:
Lol at the DeLorean with the “RUSTLS” plate, love it!

Man, the more I see of this DR900S the more I consider getting it. But I’m hanging in there for a 4k that eventually has 256gb support (or if the 900s gets updated to support it).

Update: Sorry guys! I was running the DR750S at 12 Mbit by accident yesterday so I did some more driving today with both set to 25 Mbit and updated the OP with new comparison shots.

Yeah sure, I'll upload some. Give me a few. :)

Edit: Here's the clip of me sitting in the parking lot.

I'll get you a driving clip in a bit as well.

Thanks for the comparisons. Have you tried a 256 GB card just to see if it actually works?

Why does the 900s look darker than the 750s? Is there a "brightness" setting on the Blackvue cams?

Is it possible to obtain the same "brightness" with the 900s?

Why does the 900s look darker than the 750s? Is there a "brightness" setting on the Blackvue cams?

Yeah both dashcams have an adjustable brightness option. I have both set to factory defaults and didn't mess around with them, but you can raise or lower the brightness of either dashcam as desired.

the pixels in the 750s are almost 50% larger, they collect more light, IQ tuning is playing a part in the result also

That's true. I wonder how much that'll impact things with night time footage. They use different sensors too. Do you know what sensor the DR900S uses? They aren't advertising the Sony Starvis sensor for the front cam the way they did with the 750. Improving nighttime footage was why the DR900S was delayed.

I didn't have time last night to capture any night time footage, but I intend on capturing some this evening. I'll share what I find. :)

That's true. I wonder how much that'll impact things with night time footage. They use different sensors too. Do you know what sensor the DR900S uses? They aren't advertising the Sony Starvis sensor for the front cam the way they did with the 750. Improving nighttime footage was why the DR900S was delayed.

http://www.ovt.com/sensors/OS08A10

Back