DR900s is Simply Useless to Proof a Close Call Incident at Night Time! Video & Pics

NorthStar

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I had an incident with a jerk that passed me from the emergency lane last week and almost hit my side mirror

I called the cops to report him since he seemed to be drunk and out of control. I told the cops that I will send a video that shows the incident along with his license plate

Guess what! The video shows nothing from his license plate#, simply NOTHING! Despite using the max settings on this $450+ 4K cam!

I was doing approx 88mph and he was doing approx 100mph. I also passed other cars that were doing 80mph and still I couldn’t read their license plates from the video. In other words, the DR900s didn’t get any license plate during this whole 4 hours trip on this highway!

What is the benefit of this cam if it couldn’t help in such incidents?! Also, is there any better dash cams that would’ve done a better job in such situation?

Pics and video below

3c8e69b69b057e024923a6d6c3de40bb.jpg

138ae47bc42debd07b026996d78097ee.jpg
ef73e2689bfa00e6970a904cfd693bea.jpg
d1d4bea28c29168dd088a3faa81b6f8f.jpg

I am afraid it would be the same with any other camera out there, as that guy whizz past pretty fast compared to your speed, if you can see the plate it is a good idea to call it out for the microphone to pick up.
Now the 4K sensor of the 900 are not the best low light performer out there, but even factoring this in i doubt another camera would have made the plate capture.
Personally all i expect at night are my placement in regard to lane markings or side of road - color of intersections and at best the color and maybe make model of the other car, and that should also be fine to save my ass against any outrageous claims against me, but ! it will of course not do much in regard to hit and run events.

Many focus too much on plate capture, and while it is of course ideal to get that, then really technology in consumer grade dashcams are not there yet, and i don't think it will be there for the foreseeable future.

you Americans are also challenged by the nature of your plates, which are far more cluttered than the simple black letters on white background EU plates, that i even thing have larger letters ASO too

41-E0YjFOpL.jpg

12 X 6 inches.
Dansk_med_flag_503x110.png

A EU plate are around 20 inches wide and just shy of 4 inches tall ( the standard car plate )

US plates to me look more like MC plates here.

Which have the measurements of. 9.5 inch wide and 6 1/4 inch high.

Numbers / letters on EU plates are 2 3/4 inch tall

Last edited:
Or in the case of the UK rear plates, black letters on a yellow background not necessarily with country flag/code or those stupid EU stars.
What surprises me is that peeps actually expect to be able to read number plates (cluttered or otherwise) in the gloom of night. The problem that NorthStar has, is caused by the relative movement of the other vehicle the during the much longer exposure time required to capture enough light.

If you cruise Minsk nice and easy at night, plate capture are no problem, but it is the speed in between camera car and target car that do it.
same video also prove if the other car go a little faster you will not get plate capture.

Or in the case of the UK rear plates, black letters on a yellow background not necessarily with country flag/code or those stupid EU stars.
What surprises me is that peeps actually expect to be able to read number plates (cluttered or otherwise) in the gloom of night. The problem that NorthStar has, is caused by the relative movement of the other vehicle the during the much longer exposure time required to capture enough light.
UK plates are also larger than most EU plates at 20½" × 4⅜", although the size isn't regulated, only the font size, as a result we have a number of even larger rear plates on British built cars:

And you can get your plate as a sticker, thats not a option over here, so you bloddy well better make room for that plate on your front ( most likely where the issue is ) or just not drive your car.

UK plates are also larger than most EU plates at 20½" × 4⅜", although the size isn't regulated, only the font size, as a result we have a number of even larger rear plates on British built cars:
rover75.png

My rear plate is 14½" x 4⅜" but I only ave a 5 character plate

I purchased my DR900S recently and had the same experience. The license plates are not visible at all... DURING DAYTIME.

It was 2pm and 95 degrees with the sun blasting outside. This idiot almost merged onto me.

20190625-143613-NF-1.jpg

And here's the idiot again making a 4-lane turn.

20190625-143714-NF-1.jpg

It's "4k" but the images are ultra compressed and it looks like pastel painting if you zoom in.

@aeong
It might do better were you to lower the lens somewhat- with that much sky in the view the cam's auto-exposure won't be optimum. The general advice is to have 40% sky shown at the most.

Phil

So I had an incident with a jerk that passed me from the emergency lane last week and almost hit my side mirror

I called the cops to report him since he seemed to be drunk and out of control. I told the cops that I will send a video that shows the incident along with his license plate

Guess what! The video shows nothing from his license plate#, simply NOTHING! Despite using the max settings on this $450+ 4K cam!

I was doing approx 88mph and he was doing approx 100mph. I also passed other cars that were doing 80mph and still I couldn’t read their license plates from the video. In other words, the DR900s didn’t get any license plate during this whole 4 hours trip on this highway!

What is the benefit of this cam if it couldn’t help in such incidents?! Also, is there any better dash cams that would’ve done a better job in such situation?

Pics and video below

3c8e69b69b057e024923a6d6c3de40bb.jpg

138ae47bc42debd07b026996d78097ee.jpg
ef73e2689bfa00e6970a904cfd693bea.jpg
d1d4bea28c29168dd088a3faa81b6f8f.jpg
Do you realise you have to view the 4K recordings to get its potential on a 4K resolution device ?

Do you realise you have to view the 4K recordings to get its potential on a 4K resolution device ?

Ok, and what is the proper way to view the 4K recordings I included in my first post?

Ok, and what is the proper way to view the 4K recordings I included in my first post?
Mate that’s a YouTube recording YouTube doesn’t play in 4K resolution , do you get it ? You need to view this stuff on 4K specific devices , it’s in the instruction manual

You realise if you don’t view in 4K resolution you may be able to record in 4K but without viewing it in 4K everything will be blurry

I mean look at the qaulity of the resolution of what you are watching it on what you have given us looks like 780P resolution my iPhone 8 can get a waaayyyy better picture than that resolution you gave us , which tells me you are not viewing this in 4K it’s hilarious, what video is this from a Nokia 2700 from the late 90s ha ha ha ha dude you are too much !!

I mean look at the qaulity of the resolution of what you are watching it on what you have given us looks like 780P resolution my iPhone 8 can get a waaayyyy better picture than that resolution you gave us , which tells me you are not viewing this in 4K it’s hilarious, what video is this from a Nokia 2700 from the late 90s ha ha ha ha dude you are too much !!

You are smart! yes it is Nokia 2700 from the 90’s, and thanks for informing me that I am “too much” thats very kind of you

I don't get it.. Exactly where in that video is the car that passed you out of control ..and drunk? Show that video to your local Po Po and they might just write you the ticket for speeding.. Timestamp shows 142 km ....Anyway.......What ever that is that is glaring in the windshield ...move it.. It could be messing with sensor thus messing up the quality of the vid.. I have vids of cars passing me on the interstate doing way faster than that car in the vid and I can make out most of the tags... No problem with the settings on our DR900s

I don't get it.. Exactly where in that video is the car that passed you out of control ..and drunk? Show that video to your local Po Po and they might just write you the ticket for speeding.. Timestamp shows 142 km ....Anyway.......What ever that is that is glaring in the windshield ...move it.. It could be messing with sensor thus messing up the quality of the vid.. I have vids of cars passing me on the interstate doing way faster than that car in the vid and I can make out most of the tags... No problem with the settings on our DR900s

Legal speed limit is 145 so I am doing just fine. I agree the phone screen glare will affect the sensor, but I checked another footage from the same trip after i moved my phone from the dashboard hoping to have better results and it had the same problem, I could not get any details from the license plates of cars I am passing either slowly or fast

Kindly share with us some of your own videos and pictures while driving in dark highways at legal high speeds so we can compare your results to what I have

Back