DR900X Plus 2ch Entering Parking Mode Sensitivity

BoomTIP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all - so I recently installed my DR900X Plus and everything has been working great, but I have an annoyance.

When the camera goes into parking mode (voice announces it and light goes green), I get out of my vehicle, shut the door, and it instantly starts a locked “parking impact” event recording.

I’ve done some searching, and it sounds like previous cameras or software had a ~3min delay after entering parking mode to allow you to exit before it would activate the g-sensors, but this clearly isn’t happening, which is really annoying and guarantees I’ll have at least 2 parking impact events every time I park (exiting and entering the car).

I know I can turn down or turn off the g-sensors, but that’s not ideal because I would like them monitoring for when the car shouldn’t be touched.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to request a simple delay feature to Blackvue?

This really makes no sense…

Could it be the way that you have wired your camera? As I understand it.. the delayed parking mode only works when wired to both the battery (constant power) and the ACC source.

Could it be the way that you have wired your camera? As I understand it.. the delayed parking mode only works when wired to both the battery (constant power) and the ACC source.

That’s how I have it wired and it seems to enter/exit parking mode correctly. I do have a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles, so maybe the ACC fuse I’m using is doing something else behind the scenes. I could try a different one, but like I said, it seems to be functioning properly besides this annoyance.

That’s how I have it wired and it seems to enter/exit parking mode correctly. I do have a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles, so maybe the ACC fuse I’m using is doing something else behind the scenes. I could try a different one, but like I said, it seems to be functioning properly besides this annoyance.
If it was wired incorrectly, it would either turn on later or not at all.

It's not the wiring and there's no delay function to set. It's the software that needs this function added.

Otherwise, you could put a delay off relay in on the ignition wire which would allow it to do what you want.

FYI, if ignition is on and the car doesn't move for 10 mins, it actually goes into Park Mode as well.

If it was wired incorrectly, it would either turn on later or not at all.

It's not the wiring and there's no delay function to set. It's the software that needs this function added.

Otherwise, you could put a delay off relay in on the ignition wire which would allow it to do what you want.

FYI, if ignition is on and the car doesn't move for 10 mins, it actually goes into Park Mode as well.
Ok, so I was reading other places that some seem to have this delay, but maybe that’s incorrect or it wasn’t carried over to the DR900X. That’s a bummer.

Ok, so I was reading other places that some seem to have this delay, but maybe that’s incorrect or it wasn’t carried over to the DR900X. That’s a bummer.
Definitely no delay in mine.

The DR900X and DR750X series of dashcams had their firmwares updated in July 2021 with a change to the first 3-minutes of parking mode activation so that impact events are ignored during that time. My DR750X Plus and DR900X Plus dash cameras seem to be behaving in the same manner (no alerts for the first 3-minutes after parking mode activation).

Here's the BlackVue blog post entry about it.

[Firmware Update] Improved Parking Mode Notifications for DR900X and DR750X​

Dear BlackVue Users,
We recently released firmware updates for DR900X and DR750X Series dashcams. These updates focus on the built-in Parking Mode feature of those models. When hardwiring those models to use the built-in voltage monitoring feature, Parking Mode activates as soon as the ignition of the vehicle is turned off. As users would leave their vehicle, the vibration caused by closing their vehicle’s door would create Parking Mode Events. To reduce the chances of false positives, we added a 3-minute window of time during which Events are ignored from:
  • Notifications sent to user in case of Cloud connectivity.
  • Parking Mode Voice Alerts, which play when the dashcam exits Parking Mode.

Models Concerned:​

• DR900X-1CH/2CH v.1.007
  • DR750X-1CH/2CH v.1.007

What’s New:​

Version 1.007 (2021-07-12):
  1. Parking Mode Impact Notifications scenario update (when using ignition-based Parking Mode, i.e. with the built-in voltage monitor): to reduce risks of false positives (due to closing a door when leaving the vehicle, etc.), the dashcam will skip sending notifications or playing impact-related voiced alerts for impacts that occur within 3 minutes of Parking Mode activation.
  2. Added support for empty space characters in Cloud Hotspot SSID names.
※ Compatible software versions:
BlackVue App: Android v3.19 / iOS v3.21 and up.
BlackVue Viewer: Windows v3.04 / Mac (SD Card Viewer only) v3.05 and up.

The DR900X and DR750X series of dashcams had their firmwares updated in July 2021 with a change to the first 3-minutes of parking mode activation so that impact events are ignored during that time. My DR750X Plus and DR900X Plus dash cameras seem to be behaving in the same manner (no alerts for the first 3-minutes after parking mode activation).

Here's the BlackVue blog post entry about it.

[Firmware Update] Improved Parking Mode Notifications for DR900X and DR750X​

Dear BlackVue Users,
We recently released firmware updates for DR900X and DR750X Series dashcams. These updates focus on the built-in Parking Mode feature of those models. When hardwiring those models to use the built-in voltage monitoring feature, Parking Mode activates as soon as the ignition of the vehicle is turned off. As users would leave their vehicle, the vibration caused by closing their vehicle’s door would create Parking Mode Events. To reduce the chances of false positives, we added a 3-minute window of time during which Events are ignored from:
  • Notifications sent to user in case of Cloud connectivity.
  • Parking Mode Voice Alerts, which play when the dashcam exits Parking Mode.

Models Concerned:​

• DR900X-1CH/2CH v.1.007
  • DR750X-1CH/2CH v.1.007

What’s New:​

Version 1.007 (2021-07-12):
  1. Parking Mode Impact Notifications scenario update (when using ignition-based Parking Mode, i.e. with the built-in voltage monitor): to reduce risks of false positives (due to closing a door when leaving the vehicle, etc.), the dashcam will skip sending notifications or playing impact-related voiced alerts for impacts that occur within 3 minutes of Parking Mode activation.
  2. Added support for empty space characters in Cloud Hotspot SSID names.
※ Compatible software versions:
BlackVue App: Android v3.19 / iOS v3.21 and up.
BlackVue Viewer: Windows v3.04 / Mac (SD Card Viewer only) v3.05 and up.

That’s interesting, thanks for sharing. I also just found the below note in the manual which seems to agree with what you’ve posted.

2DD04368-31EE-40D3-B746-0DF1388A3ECE.jpeg

BUT…. This still doesn’t make sense. I‘ve realized it DOES ignore alerting you that there was an impact if it occurs within 3 minutes of parking, but it STILL records a locked impact file (I hear the beep, the light turns red and it shows up in the locked event recordings). Why? My whole point is I don’t want unnecessary locked files on the card. I suppose I can just use a large card and turn on locked file overwriting, but it just feels kinda sloppy, especially since they are implementing some kind of 3 min alerting delay...

Just to drive home my experience, here’s a screenshot of my recordings that show me driving at 6:52:08, parking and shutting my door which causes a locked parking impact at 6:52:52, and then entering normal parking mode right after at 6:53:53. So I get these locked parking files every…time.. I park… but there is no voice alert for them so I guess that’s kind of a win

798D5119-E207-44A4-A88C-304986FFAF23.jpeg

That’s interesting, thanks for sharing. I also just found the below note in the manual which seems to agree with what you’ve posted.

View attachment 63661

BUT…. This still doesn’t make sense. I‘ve realized it DOES ignore alerting you that there was an impact if it occurs within 3 minutes of parking, but it STILL records a locked impact file (I hear the beep, the light turns red and it shows up in the locked event recordings). Why? My whole point is I don’t want unnecessary locked files on the card. I suppose I can just use a large card and turn on locked file overwriting, but it just feels kinda sloppy, especially since they are implementing some kind of 3 min alerting delay...

Just to drive home my experience, here’s a screenshot of my recordings that show me driving at 6:52:08, parking and shutting my door which causes a locked parking impact at 6:52:52, and then entering normal parking mode right after at 6:53:53. So I get these locked parking files every…time.. I park… but there is no voice alert for them so I guess that’s kind of a win

View attachment 63662
I just ran a test with my DR900X Plus with firmware v1.009. I see what you mean about it still recording an impact event file even though it doesn't notify about it within three minutes of entering parking mode.

On the microSD card from my DR900X Plus, the oldest normal mode recording files are from 09-Dec-2022, but I have a collection of the event/impact video files from before that date. It would seem better for the 3-minute delay period to be a true delay in switching from the normal mode impact G-Sensor settings to parking mode impact G-Sensor settings. That way there would be no impact event of any kind (not recorded and thus nothing to notify about) at least at the start of parking mode.

I spent many, many months last year trying to get Pittasoft to fix a DR750X Plus G-Sensor problem (parking mode G-Sensor settings incorrectly being used for first normal mode session after power up). They delayed looking into so long, that the firmware release they tried to reproduce the problem with was "working" and thus stated "could not reproduce". I ended up creating a YouTube video for my channel showing the problem did exist in the version of firmware I reported to them and it was somehow (accidentally or purposely ??) fixed in a later release.

I can see it being a valid request to see if Pittasoft will change the 3-minute delay logic, but I'll let someone else climb that hill to fight that battle. :)

1673833381601.png

I just ran a test with my DR900X Plus with firmware v1.009. I see what you mean about it still recording an impact event file even though it doesn't notify about it within three minutes of entering parking mode.

On the microSD card from my DR900X Plus, the oldest normal mode recording files are from 09-Dec-2022, but I have a collection of the event/impact video files from before that date. It would seem better for the 3-minute delay period to be a true delay in switching from the normal mode impact G-Sensor settings to parking mode impact G-Sensor settings. That way there would be no impact event of any kind (not recorded and thus nothing to notify about) at least at the start of parking mode.

I spent many, many months last year trying to get Pittasoft to fix a DR750X Plus G-Sensor problem (parking mode G-Sensor settings incorrectly being used for first normal mode session after power up). They delayed looking into so long, that the firmware release they tried to reproduce the problem with was "working" and thus stated "could not reproduce". I ended up creating a YouTube video for my channel showing the problem did exist in the version of firmware I reported to them and it was somehow (accidentally or purposely ??) fixed in a later release.

I can see it being a valid request to see if Pittasoft will change the 3-minute delay logic, but I'll let someone else climb that hill to fight that battle. :)

View attachment 63663
It’s good to see you can replicate my issue and it’s not just some anomaly on my end.

I did send Blackvue an email with these details, but I’m not holding my breath. If something comes of this I’ll update the post though! Ideally, in my opinion, they’d add an option in the firmware settings to set a true parking mode delay between 1-5min that ignores any movement so we don’t fill our cards with locked parking impact files.

Thanks for the information.

I also have this issue, I have a full post on Facebook but maybe its better posting it here. I think I'll post it in here under this post.

The below only applies to Xseries cameras or any camera that can switch to parking mode when the vehicle is shut off.
Topic / key words :: Impact events triggering from getting in and out of the vehicle.
TLDR: Critiques of the current system and Ideas for fixing them. One of the big selling points of this cam is its alerts but I’m seeing now how many falses I and others are getting. I think software can fix a good portion of them..

I think this is a bigger deal for people who have their cam connected to the cloud. The more false events you have the more data you burn through. This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but since this can probably be fixed with software I don’t see why I don't post here and see if it's an idea people like and possibly get the attention of Blackvue.

(( As seen above, they reference the fix in their Blog. I never would have checked there ))

This issue was sort of addressed back around firmware V.1.008 for Xseries cams. This should be around 05.11.2022.

My reference is Jack Kelly’s first post on July 30th 2021. I would like their post but I’m special and don’t know how to.
Quote from said post,
“”BlackVue Australia
Hey all, the latest firmware release for all the X model dashcams should address this issue - it adds a 3 minute buffer period after entering parking mode and 3 minutes before exiting parking mode to prevent these movements from triggering the "impact detected" audio message.
Let us know if you have any questions.””
This fix feels like a stopgap measure. Before this was addressed there were multiple complaints at least in this group page alone. This fix is also not listed on Blackvue’s firmware “What's New” pages. There's no firmware update history I could find so I had to use the wayback machine (See Attached Picture).
Cool, so now that we're up to speed, this is what currently happens.

For 3 minutes after switching modes (Parking to Normal or vice versa), Impact Events are not pushed to phones or flagged to be verbally announced upon startup. However Impact Events are still being triggered, recorded, and uploaded to the cloud. So even though the Camera / Phone didn't tell you when you slammed the door when you left the car, it still recorded it and uploaded that clip to the cloud.

This setting is hidden in the app and can’t be adjusted, I also don't know how Blackvue came up with 3 minutes. It feels like a long time.

So my solution / idea is to replace this 3 minute stopgap with these settings below.
1. Parking Mode Event Block.
Target Purpose : Leaving the vehicle after switching into parking mode.

This setting would Block all events from registering until the set delay elapsed. So the event would never happen, never record and never upload. Or it's possible to force recording to start but as a normal or motion recording upon entering parking mode with this setting on. I’d say a selection of seconds that make sense are 15’s, 30’s, 45s, 60s. This would be enough time to get out and open the trunk and what not. Of course if you got a big van full of youngsters this might be too little time.
In Practice: Let's say you set this setting to 30s. Upon switching off the vehicle you have a 30s grace period to slam open and slam all the doors without triggering an impact. Impact recordings never happen in the background for those 30s it’s as if impact recording is turned off.
A side note is, If you do have motion recording on, You leaving the vehicle SHOULD flag that anyway but I’d still feel safer if the software forced that recording. It currently does not force any recording upon entering parking mode.
2. Parking Mode Event Send Delay
Target Purpose : Entering the vehicle while it's in parking mode.
This setting is to stop triggers from when you enter the vehicle from a parked state. I’m not really sure how I feel about this setting but I figured I would share it with everyone.
The idea would be to delay sending events to the cloud and alerting your phone. This would give you time to enter the vehicle to start it without triggering the Impact Event chain of events and Cloud upload. The massive downside is you would need to delay ALL impact events, I’m just not sure how many people are willing to do that. I’m also still assuming more false impacts are from leaving the vehicle instead of entering it.

In Practice : Let's say you set this setting to 10s. If an impact event were to happen it would still record as normal but would wait 10s before alerting you and trying to upload to the cloud. If you were to enter your car and start it before 10s, the impact event is converted to a normal / motion event or at the worse it would toss that file (if even possible)
Final Thoughts
And this is the part where I’m not sure if it's even do-able. Either, the camera tosses that event recording or instead the recorded file is converted to a normal or motion type recording. But I don’t know if it's possible. I assume what separates the recordings are their filenames so I don't see why it's not possible to rename the file after it's written. Perhaps the files are not named until after they’re written anyway making this very doable.

There's also the fact that you're delaying notifications and I’m not sure how many are willing to use this part of this idea. I notice I create more events from leaving the car then entering it.
The only way to solve this is to re-invent the camera with it being able to sense the doors locking and unlocking and having settings that use that information. But I’m trying to go with what we already have.

I suspect more false impacts are from leaving the vehicle (slamming door shut). Not that people don't slam the door when entering the vehicle but since you're pulling the door closed IT SEEMS like people shut them softer. So I’m more happy with solution 1 than 2 but what do all of you think?

Attachments

• 900x-Plus-Updates.jpg
    900x-Plus-Updates.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 1
Back