DR900X Plus does not "see" any 5GHz networks

Peterpan783

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've recently purchased both 900X Plus and 750X PLus.

Having issues with 900X Plus and WiFi.
Firmware has been updated to latest version 1.000

On the official specs web page this camera is described as "Wireless AC compatible"
WiFi: Built-in (802.11 a.b.g.n.ac)

On the firmware download page, under the What's New section, there is NO mention of AC Wifi.
Wi-Fi Built-in : 802.11 b.g.n (2.4/5.0 GHz)

The part that they forgot to mention was that it was the crippled version of Wireless AC.
This is Wireless AC 1x1, 5GHz, single channel, with a max connection speed of 433Mbits/s.
This is NOT what I was expecting and it does make a difference!

The vast majority of wireless AC routers in the market are dual channel, 2x2, 866Mbit/s. When we buy a "wireless AC compatible device", 866Mbits/s is the speed we are expecting.

Blackvue has been very misleading about this, not disclosing upfront that the AC on this camera is the 1x1 "slow" single channel version.

This is a 4K dash cam generating huge files. It needs all that speed, and more!

Rant aside, the problem:

The 900X does not detect any access points in the 5GHz band. If I want to connect to the camera directly, I get to choose between 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.

If I am trying to have the camera to connect to my router at home or to an android mobile hotspot in the 5GHz band, the camera doesn't see any of those networks. That is under the "cloud settings", where we have up to three different networks to configure, in order of priority.

Also, if for some reason I want to use the mobile hotspot as simply a local router without Internet, the dash cam will initially connect and then kill the connection. There is no way of maintaining this camera connected to a local AP if the AP doesn't have internet.

What is the point of having a "5GHz wireless AC enabled" daschcam that cannot truly connect to 5GHz access points in client mode?

The max download speed I can get on an ideal connection to a router in the 2.4 GHz band is 150Mbits/s. That's a theoretical 18MB/s transfer speed, which makes this wifi connection virtually useless, considering the file sizes. The card can transfer up to 90MB/s on a card reader.

This is simply "nontransferable" via WiFi at this speed.

I bought this "wireless AC enabled" dash cam so I could automatically have my footage transferred via WiFi without having to constantly remove microSD cards.

If I jump to the 750X, the situation isn't really any better. Smaller file sizes, but restricted to 2.4GHz networks, wireless N, and 150Mbits download max. (300Mbits in practice gets split in half, 150 up, 150 down).
Under ideal conditions, which we all know we rarely have.

Anyone else having same issue not being able to connect to 5GHz networks in client mode?

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I will be honest, I like my DR90X Plus, but Blackvue is losing ground. I went with them for the reliability reputation, but at the premium price point they need to th ink outside the box. They took numerous options out of the settings to focus on optimizing the picture how they think it should look. Their “free’ cloud option is a waste of time. If Street Guardian and get a 4K cam out in a horizontal format I would have jumped on it. The Blackvue gets hot and I can’t see how this cam lasts more than 2-3 years. My biggest issue is the poor design for the CPL. The gap between the CPL lens and cam lens creates purple flares. Also build quality is a mess. I bought 2 DR900X Plus and one the rear cam is blurry and I need to pay shipping back to get it replaced. My eyes are on Garmin if they can fix their app and offer a true dual cam solution.

Back