DR900X Plus is recording in Mp3 Mono low sample rate, not AAC Stereo? Distorted Audio.

kmd1970

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
GS600,GT300W,LS400W,DR750LW-2CH,CR-2000G,X2,F770,DR750S-2CH
I am getting distorted audio with bass frequencies in my recordings, so I took a look at the codec information using VLC.

My old (Aug 2017) DR750S records in AAC, Stereo @ 32000Hz with no distortion.

DR900X Plus uses mp3, Mono @ 11025Hz ? :unsure: :(

DR750S codec info.jpg

DR900X Plus codec info.jpg

My DR900X Plus audio is OK at low volume mid frequencies, but loud volume and/or low (bass) frequencies it distorts. I will be honest, for the price Blackvue charges I am a little disappointed, but overall it is a good camera. The DR750X Plus I returned for the DR900X Plus had the same audio distortion.

Last edited:
This might be an attempt to keep the file sizes smaller with 4k? :unsure: Not sure.

I checked samples from Viofo A129 Pro, it uses AAC, Stereo with high sampling rate.

Last edited:
Did it on my DT750X Plus as well. Might be that audio is not the primary function and rarely the evidence needed vs. the actual video.

Did it on my DT750X Plus as well. Might be that audio is not the primary function and rarely the evidence needed vs. the actual video.

Just because I am not a professional chef, doesn't mean I purposely ruin my food. :D

There are times when good audio evidence is needed.

However, some states have laws against recording people without consent. My state is one party consent.

This expensive device should always provide the best video and audio quality possible. :cautious:

From a Thinkware U1000 4k sample
2021-10-20_10-29-55.jpg

DR900X (not plus) example. Weird thing is that my Mic is "Off". Not sure what it's recording if anything. Did the "Plus" remove stereo?

Screenshot 2021-10-20 095259.png

Not to necro an old post but this info is still relevant 15 months later.

- I tried pulling videos into Davinci Resolve and the videos are fine but the audio is 2 secs of audio then silence. The only workaround I found was import the raw videos into DR and delete the messed up audio. Then convert the raw video in VLC player and export just the audio as another format, Import that and sync them.

Audio works fine in VLC player just playing as a video but importing them into a video editor seems to break them? What's up with that?
@kmd1970 did you ever find a fix/workaround?

Back