Drained battery. Broken 3-wire VIOFO hardwire kit or other issue ?

That would have the same effect as connecting both the red and yellow to ACC, no need for the relay...

You would think that but not exactly same.
There will be a slight delay that seems to be needed sometimes in the hk.
I did some testing ages back and found the hk does not always start with both wires connected together.
It seems it gets confused and one wire needs to be disconnected and reconnected to fix it.
As long as the battery never goes flat and the hk wiring is not touched you may not see the problem again.
Of course it is an intermittent fault so hard to reproduce.

Previous post on Dashcamtalk have highlighted this as a problem.

The very latest hk's may have resolved this.

@LateralNW

Yes, that's the exact situation with mine. I tried disconnecting the +12v to see if it would run on just the yellow ACC wire, but it doesn't power up. My Viofo car kit doesn't have a number on it - I have had it for a few years so maybe there is a better more recent version. I don't really want to buy one and fit it to find that it's the same though... I'll consider the relay solution. Just wish there was something tidier... I suppose I could just cut it out and connect the camera itself to an ignition controlled fuse...

@LateralNW

Yes, that's the exact situation with mine. I tried disconnecting the +12v to see if it would run on just the yellow ACC wire, but it doesn't power up. My Viofo car kit doesn't have a number on it - I have had it for a few years so maybe there is a better more recent version. I don't really want to buy one and fit it to find that it's the same though... I'll consider the relay solution. Just wish there was something tidier... I suppose I could just cut it out and connect the camera itself to an ignition controlled fuse...
It won't work on yellow or red. Red and yellow must be together and connected to +ACC.
For me, the HK3 worked for more than a year, with yellow and red together, until the parking mode was needed.

Back