DrivePro 520 Not to bad of a Dashcam

Mr_roadside616

Reaction score
Country
United States
So i decided to post a thread about the Transcend DrivePro 520 seeings as their isn't a lot on here about it. I did read the thread that included a review of the camera but for the most part it didn't seem to answer some questions. One question i saw unanswered was about the G-sensor. Yes the G-sensor can be turned off. Now onto my own personal thoughts on the camera. I haven't used the WiFi feature to much for retrieving videos from it but the little bit i did use it, i wasn't to happy with it. Mostly because it was slow. The WiFi is about my only complaint about it. The video quality is excellent. The rear camera at night does a great job in dark light conditions. The front camera does pretty good with dark light conditions as well, but when there is excessive lighting (the sun) it doesn't do the greatest but you can still make out what you're watching. The battery isn't the greatest but i didn't expect to be great as the camera doesn't have a parking mode. I have not had any issues with coordinates, as the do seem accurate. It does freeze on me if i have some "emergency" videos saved and the SD card is full, but that could also be from the SD card itself. The microphone on the unit is amazing (sometimes not a good thing lol.) I was playing air drums on my dash very lightly and it was picked up in a video I uploaded to YouTube. please feel free to ask me some questions about the camera and I will do my best to answer what I can. if you want to see some video samples you can check out my YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/c/mrroadside616 If anyone has any suggestions on anything that can make the camera work better please feel free to also add. I hope this thread is able to help someone with a purchase in the future.

Hi. I have been using 520 for almost 2 years. Prior to this, I had a no name brand that I purchased from amazon for $65 which eventually died after a year or so. This camera is great. But I am looking for a replacement for one single gripe of mine. I have a DSLR but I end up taking more pictures in my smartphone. I guess this is true for everyone. Sometimes convenience is more important than quality. My gripe is related to similar convenience issue. The only reason I chose this camera was for wifi file transfer. There are small events now and then and it is hassle to remove memory card, take to room, download one small file. Now and then my clumsy hand drops microsd card and it always ends up at the most unexpected and obscure place inside the car. Well it takes 10 minutes to transfer 272 MB 3 min video file. Come on, mobile to mobile transfer using ShareIT app is so fast, it took me 5 seconds to transfer this 272 MB file between two Galaxy phones. There are two other issues and they are -

1. When accelerating and when in not so smooth road, there is rattle noise (Hyundai petrol car). I pasted transparent adhesive tape over button. It reduced some noise but not completely.

2. There is few millisecond overlap in video between clips. When you are joining them for one long running video, it is distinctly noticeable.

Currently I am desperately looking for a dashcam with high speed wifi file transfer.

No all the cameras i am aware off all suffer from abysmal slow wifi, i am not sure if this are changing with 2018 models, so for now the best option are still a OTG card reader if you want to get stuff onto a phone or tablet.
Personally i would not need anything ever to go that route, so the 32 + 128 Gb memory space in my phone are hugely overkill for sure.

The file overlap you can remove using registrator viewer if it support your camera, you just enter what ever number of milliseconds overlap your camera have, and the software then remove that automatic, its a nice little pice of software to bundle up several clips into one file.
Most cameras i have seen have a 1 second overlap but the B1W i am testing have just 1 frame overlap, yet other cameras of mine have no overlap.

Back