Driver decides against left hooking a cyclist.

Tom Butler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 & Mobius (rear facing)
Thankfully the driver aborted the left turn.

With the cyclist ahead and in full view of the driver you would have thought, they should have never ended up in that position. Poor judgment initially by the driver.

At least the cyclist was vigilant too, a lot of pedal pushers here get creamed that way ( car making right turns ) and when it is a truck or a bus that make a right turn it can get really messy.
As i kid i was in a bus that made a right turn in front of a moped rider, and he was really lucky and he and his moped only got a little scratched and bend up.
Same time period i saw the aftermath of a large van / small truck style vehicle doing the same to a moped, and it was literally wrapped around its rear vheel, and the street was a flood of blood and pieces of his brain.

If I had been cycling there, I would have been in front of the car, in the middle of the lane until half way across the junction so that it couldn't do that.
There is a bit of cycle lane there, but in the UK cyclists do not have to use cycle lanes, especially when they appear to be designed to encourage accidents!
I was going to say that the police should be removing those parked cars from the cycle lane, but it appears that bit isn't a cycle lane? Not sure what it is, clearly it is not wide enough to be a parking lane so it must be a cycle lane even if not marked as such?
The parked cars should still not be half on the pavement, that is illegal.

The car driver put his turn indicator on before overtaking, he knew he was turning, overtaking was just stupid!

..especially when they appear to be designed to encourage accidents!
I have to agree with that assessment. I don't know what the right solution is but designing traffic flow this way is the dream of incompetent naive public administrators. You have a bike lane where the cyclist ostensibly has the right-of-way but then force motor vehicles to cross that lane when making a turn. Compounding an already bad situation, the cyclist will be approaching the vehicle from a position where it's least likely to be noticed, which combined with the cyclist mentality of "I'm going to do it whether it's my right or not" is guaranteeing something really bad is going to eventually happen.

A community some distance from me supposedly addressed this by having the bike lane stop before an intersection which makes me question the usefulness of the concept in it's entirety, but that's a different subject. If you go to this location in Google maps and scroll north you'll see examples of some of the most confusing bike lane design ever.

In most places the bike lane is right-most with vehicle traffic to the left. Sometimes they are separated by a 'hashed box' (no motor vehicles allowed) and other times not - this seems to be at entrances/exits from business frontages but not in all cases. (I guess no motor vehicles are allowed to enter/exit a business that's fronted by a 'hashed box".) The bike lane ends at intersections but at some busier intersections a 'right turn lane' is created for vehicles to the right of the bike lane and the bike lane is then between traffic lanes (painted green). The explanation was that traffic will not have to cross the bike lane to make the turn. I guess the planners thought the vehicle traffic would just teleport to the right turn lane versus having to cross the bike lane before getting to the intersection.

It really pains me to think that someone got paid to come up with this design. It's so bad that cyclists I've talked to avoid the area because nobody (cyclists or drivers) have any idea how to deal with it. In the 5 years or so this has been implemented I've never seen a cyclist using the bike lanes, they're all on the pedestrian side walks (and I don't blame them).

The 'icing on the cake' in this solution is there used to be 3 traffic lanes which has now been reduced to 2 which does absolutely nothing to aid traffic flow. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back