Driver of Black Truck Crosses Solid Double Yellow Line to Overtake Four Vehicles

thomas-dash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4k, Viofo MT1
The driver of the truck didn't want to be behind some slow moving commercial vehicles and decided to cross a solid double-yellow line to overtake four vehicles. There was some oncoming traffic, but I wasn't able to see how close the oncoming traffic got to the truck illegally overtaking the vehicles.

In Texas, even when you have a Viofo A129 Pro, you can't always read the plates!

1658742138808.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In Texas, even when you have a Viofo A129 Pro, you can't always read the plates!

View attachment 61171

There are a number of reasons why diesel engines can cause blue, black, or white smoke such as problems in the engine, impurities in the diesel fuel, improper fuel air mixture and mechanical faults.

While BIG diesel trucks (18-wheelers) will sometimes blow black smoke on a long, steep hill climb, that's abnormal for them and they burn clean after they top the hill or are running on level ground. Certain drivers of diesel trucks have been known to intentionally exploit the flaws mentioned above to induce such highly polluting black smoke but it is certainly not "legal". It is a technique known as "Rolling Coal" and some diesel truck drivers (Rednecks) like to intimidate and harass fuel efficient and electric vehicles by "smoking" them. You can generate black smoke by overflowing the injectors by giving them excessive throttle, especially in a modified engine.

Diesel vehicles have to pass a smoke opacity check during inspection or they are not considered road worthy. Deliberately altering your engine to create these conditions is a crime and you can end up paying a big fine if you get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
I acknowledge all arguments for diesel vehicles being able to lay down smoke, but i mist also remind people that it is in some circles popular to tamper with the engine, so it for sure cough out a lot of black smoke, this horrible thing is caller " rolling coal "
And i am pretty sure it is illegal in all American states, even the states that are a little " my kind of crazy" which i will take any day over my birth country's kind of crazy.

I dont think a diesel engine have to smoke very much even at full load, if it was that way i am sure trucks ( 18-wheelers ) would be very unpopular on the road even if it is them that bring us just about everything we buy.
And shipping would be very bad with the super massive engines that burn a very cheap form of diesel.

Here trucks dont spew more than a nice diesel smell, which i like almost as much as the smell of fresh cut grass, you will on occasion hear a semi that have a modified exhaust and so are even louder / too loud, and that i dislike even if i do like the sound, but that level of noise should not have a home on public roads.

I am 100 % on board with wanting to be different, BUT ! you can not do that in a way where others have to pay / suffer for it, so color your hair pink and tattoo every inch of your body, and that is okay as i can look the other way, and even if i think you are a clown i will stand by you.
But be a obnoxious A-hole in / on a loud vehicle and i have to put my foot down cuz i can not close my ears or tune into the chirping birds only.

I'm not sure if the driver was intentionally rolling coal. It seemed like it may have been more to do with fast acceleration. I notice that a lot of the trucks here put out more exhaust when they're accelerating.

Back