Driving mode recording also if the car is parked...temperature problem?

Berserk80

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7950 WD
Hi all

Sometimes, after work, I go back to my car and I find that the dashcam is recording in Always mode also if the car is parked...
This is bad for 2 reasons: it can drain the car battery if the car remain parked for days (I suppose that the camera doesn't check the voltage if it's in driving mode) and with the original 8GB SD card it overwrites all the memory content in something about 1 hour...

This happens for example with both FI17 and FI23 and it's a little bit strange because I checked the connections with a multimeter and on the ACC contact there is no voltage...
Parking mode is activated but I'm not using the motion sensors and there was no event recorded, only "Always" videos.

Simplified: the dashcam is switching from parking mode to driving mode without starting the engine, totally automatically and with no apparently reasons.
This happens normally at about 4.30p.m. (30 minutes tollerance).

Maybe can be something about hot temperatures because the car is parked in my office parking lot under the sun and this never happens in the garage. But guys...I live in Switzerland, not in Arizona!

I've also checked the voltages on the power supply connector on the dashcam and they are all correct (12V active and ACC not active).

Is someone experiencing the same problem?
I can suppose temperature dilatations that cause strange contacts or simply that the dashcam is freaking out with hot temperatures and starts recording without the ACC contact activation.

Thansk for your help guys.

I have not been able to test this on the LK-7950 yet.
You said that you have disabled motion detection. If this is true. Then the parking mode isn't going to do much.
From testing this on a Z970. The camera will go in parking mode. However, parking mode does not function. I got a mix of motion and always videos.
The parking notice always is always blank.
Parking mode has been designed to detect motion.
Setting the camera to go into parking mode, but then setting the camera not to record motion does not compute.

Sorry Robert, thanks for your answer but I do not agree with you.

With the LK-7950 the parking mode without motion sensors makes sense because the dashcam records 30 seconds on the microSD card as Event video if someone hits your car.
Moreover during the night my car is parked in a parking house with 99 cars and mine is the 5th on the left after the main gate, the first near the elevators to the appartments. This means that every moving car and every person makes my dashcam recording every 30 seconds (also tried the minimum sensitivity) for a big part of the night. This means that for me the motion sensors are unusable.

This was only to be precise, but it's not part of my problem.

My real question is:

if my dashcam is correctly cabled (and this means that it switches to driving mode when I start the engine and back to parking mode when I turn it off, and I'm sure about this because the camera's voice says that and also the display shows DRV and PAR), why does it start to record in driving mode without turning on the engine and also if the ACC contact is inactive (checked with a multimeter both the fusebox and the power connector to the dashcam)?

I'm supposing something about hot temperatures because this happens only when the car is under the sun for the whole day.

I analized the videos that the camera recorded two days ago and I noticed this (I can also show screenshots):
  1. I parked the car at 8.00 a.m.
  2. at 2.48 p.m. the dashcam started spontaneously to record, without any interaction from anybody with the car. The sun was in that moment on the top right of the image.
  3. at 3.23 p.m. the sun moved behind the truck parked on the right of my car. From this moment my car and the dashcam were not directly exposed to the sun light.
  4. at 3.45 p.m. the dashcam stopped recording. This happened after about 22 minutes in the shadow of the truck, I suppose because the temperature was going down.
As already wrote, I live in Switzerland and a black car under the sun can maybe reach a temperature about 40 or 45 Celsius degrees, that is far away from the max. declared operating temperatures for this dashcam (maybe about 70-80 Celsius).

Should I ask for warranty replace?

Thanks to all

I tried this out on a LK-7950 over the weekend, and I did not find any errors with motion detection disabled.
The camera only recorded in Event and Always modes.
I did not find any Always videos from while the vehicle was parked.

There is a chance that the settings are not saved correctly on both memory cards.
To fix this, format and save the settings on both memory card via the computer version of the Lukas viewer.

It could also be hardware fault.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Same problem here as well.
firmware FI23.
When the outside temperature goes high to around 25-26°C it happened parking mode to always mode.
did what Robert suggested above but same.
am in Lower mainland BC.

Thanks.

Hi guys

Thanks Robert for the suggestions but I've already formatted both the memories with the Windows program and also directly on the camera several times and tried with all the available firmwares from 17 to 23 but nothing changes.

Situation is very simple: when the car is under the sun the dashcam switches to driving mode without starting the engine or the dashboard, if it's in the garage or it's simply raining this never happens.

This cannot be involved with the settings...if the ACC pin on the power supply connection is inactive, the dashcam cannot switch to Always Recording! This should happen only if the ACC pin is active, in every other case it can record in Motion or Event mode, but NEVER in Always. Someone agrees with me?

Tokki, I'm sorry that you have the same problem but I'm happy that I'm not alone.

Other ideas?

See you

Last edited:
I see what you are saying.

I will try and find out if there are other reports of users experiencing this, and if it is a hardware failure.

In my tests, I was driving around and parking Nevada in 90+ degree (F) sun and did not get this fault.

I see what you are saying.

I will try and find out if there are other reports of users experiencing this, and if it is a hardware failure.

In my tests, I was driving around and parking Nevada in 90+ degree (F) sun and did not get this fault.

Any update?

Thanks

Hi guys

Thanks Robert for the suggestions but I've already formatted both the memories with the Windows program and also directly on the camera several times and tried with all the available firmwares from 17 to 23 but nothing changes.

Situation is very simple: when the car is under the sun the dashcam switches to driving mode without starting the engine or the dashboard, if it's in the garage or it's simply raining this never happens.

This cannot be involved with the settings...if the ACC pin on the power supply connection is inactive, the dashcam cannot switch to Always Recording! This should happen only if the ACC pin is active, in every other case it can record in Motion or Event mode, but NEVER in Always. Someone agrees with me?

Tokki, I'm sorry that you have the same problem but I'm happy that I'm not alone.

Other ideas?

See you

Looks like the capacitor is failing or about to fail on your device. Assuming that it is designed with supercapacitors, the device shouldn't have an issue with hot temperature (up to certain degree, refer to manual).

I have similar climate like yours, and I leave my car out in the sun. I've had one or two incidents happened to me, about 6 months into using the dashcam. Decided to throw in towel and get warranty replacement, after the fact that my rear LED is not working. Everything works fine even on F23, for now...

Looks like the capacitor is failing or about to fail on your device. Assuming that it is designed with supercapacitors, the device shouldn't have an issue with hot temperature (up to certain degree, refer to manual).

I have similar climate like yours, and I leave my car out in the sun. I've had one or two incidents happened to me, about 6 months into using the dashcam. Decided to throw in towel and get warranty replacement, after the fact that my rear LED is not working. Everything works fine even on F23, for now...

How have you done for the warranty replacement? Have you contacted your reseller or directly Lukas? (I've bought the dashcam on ebay)

Thanks

How have you done for the warranty replacement? Have you contacted your reseller or directly Lukas? (I've bought the dashcam on ebay)

Thanks

I got mines from ProCom Technology on Amazon. They have a 1 year replacement warranty, and their return service is great!

You would probably have to go through the re-seller to do warranty replacement. If you can't go through them for replacement, you will have to dig deep to find Lukas/Qrontech warranty service. If there are such service, it will most likely be stationed in Korea...

I've been looking around and found that warranty is not done directly to manufacture, only through distributors/re-sellers with RMA process.

Thanks
How did you go with replacement ?
I have same issue and it is happening only when temperature is high
I have sent my device for warranty replacement RMA

How did you go with replacement ?
I have same issue and it is happening only when temperature is high
I have sent my device for warranty replacement RMA

ProCom Technology has their own RMA form I filled out with the S/N model, etc. and description of defect. Returned the defect with original box. The rest was handled through them. They basically issued a replacement. No repair done.

For your case it would be probably the same for ebay seller as they will have their own set of instructions and RMA form.

Been over a year already, so far the replacement was a good decision. No issues so far.

I bought it on ebay, from a seller named CoolGuys or something like that. They were very slow reacting, at the end they told me to send the camera without accessories back and then no updates for 2 months...after a couple of angry mail they answered me something like "What's your device's serial number?"...they had no idea where my camera was...they asked me again what for a problem. They found it and then sent to me back again with also a new power cable a couple of weeks ago.
At the moment it seems to work but I'm still using it with the old power cable (I have to dismount parts of the car to replace it) but here in Switzerland is still cold.

Back