Dropbox killing off Public folder links

flip9

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
F770, SG9665GC
https://www.dropbox.com/help/16

Incase anyone here uses dropbox's public links to post their images and files, it will soon become dead links. All my links here will soon become dead (not that ive posted much)

Goodbye to Dropbox

I had this a year or so back with imageshack, they were free hosting, then after a few years they went subscription only, and gave those not subscribing a month or so to gather all their images before they took them down, how were people expected to know where all these images were linked to, now I have lots of old posts on other forums where I describe things and showed images, only now there's no images

I'm sure they were hoping people would subscribe not to have their images link cut

I just wiped my mega.nz account to make room for fresh video footage, so i will be hosting a few links in here thats gone mute too.
For pictures its not so bad, i have long used a free local service called peecee.dk, they have changed hands a few times in the years i have used them, and that have cost me some pictures.
But for a free service i cant really complain, currently my oldest pictures there is like 4-5 years old.

I wish more things on the internet was wiped / renewed now and then, just to keep things up to date.
No doubt people will still be asking the same old stupid questions 10 seconds in google could provide the solution to.

I'm sure they were hoping people would subscribe not to have their images link cut

The sad part is the link cut will also happen to paid pro and business accounts. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

Gotta fire up the old FTP

So you can still share links to files and folders ... but the public folder is changed to a normal one and the old links won't work. What a bizarre change. Makes you wonder if it's leading to something else.
The hardest hit will be people hosting web pages via Dropbox in a separate change. Won't affect me.

I still think Dropbox is great. The way files are stored on your PC(s) as well as in the cloud is an essential requirement for me.
For me it's about sharing my files across all my devices, not with other people.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old4570 Off Topic 6
Back