Dual cam : Reading license plates and parking mode

RaXavier

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,
I unfortunately got into a hit and run and have learned my lesson (need dash cam asap) .

I would like a dual cam, which is good at reading license plates and parking mode. I'm fine with a hit or motion sensor; since I'm in NY.

I was thinking of getting the thinkware 800pro but it seems that all the reviews are on all the extras which I don't need.

Thanks for all the help.
PS I have a Lexus es with that auto shade thing. Will the small amount of space on top be enough?

I am sorry you had a run in with one of those low life's, that really must suck.

But i must warn you before you get your hopes up too high in relation to plate capture, cuz that are one of the biggest challenges for dashcams, and i must say you will often find conditions where it just dont work.
In general i always say a plate capture you can only count on if its mid day and sunny, at least if it is a fast moving event.
If its someone swiping your car or ding the door at a parking lot, then you might be in luck with a plate capture too, cuz you have a chance in low light too but the speed of one or both cars must be slower than walking speed.

Also at the moment it seem like if a camera have good parking mode it have less than optimal regular every day recording / image quality, not quite sure why it is like that but its often that way it seem.

Right now here in Denmark i cant get a plate capture if my life depended on it, that will have to wait a week or so until the grey skies clear out and let the sun thru, this time of year its only when the sun are out i can capture i plate in regular driving conditions, when the sun are blocked out by skies its simply too dark for the little sensors to handle.

Getting a dashcam are a good idea indeed, just dont get your hopes up too high, even the best cameras are still held back by technology not least in the sensors them self.

Dashcams can't really protect you from dangers- all they can do is help to document the problem so that Police and insurance can function better for you after the event. Plate capture is nice for hit-and-runs but today's cams can't assure that. When you're parked most of the better ones do OK; when you're moving all bets are off. They are still a good idea in proving your innocence and in documenting an insurance claim which can be done without having plate numbers ;)

I don't know how your cars sunshade works but the SG9663DC is one of the better dual cams though parking mode hasn't been implemented with it yet (it's in the works right now) and the Mini 0906 is popular though it's parking mode isn't optimum and can't be much improved with it's current hardware. Blackvue has cams with good parking modes but they have other issues and they aren't cheap. Every choice you have will be a compromise of some kind :rolleyes: The 'G-sensor' function of many cams is cheesy and wlil have a boot-up delay involved unless the cam is pre-buffered. Whether the delay time and it's duration is acceptable is your decision to make, and if none meet your criteria you'll need a pre-buffered cam.

I'd suggest reading the forums here on each cam you're considering to narrow down your choices as every cam has it's quirks and issues. What you'll find here are real-world experiences by real people who are generally unbiased and honest, which is a far cry from what you usually see on seller's and manufacturer's sites these days. Armed with that knowledge you'll be able to make the best choices :cool: From what I've seen here, the F800 Pro may not be ready for prime-time just yet but only you can decide.

Phil

In high speed my camera has a hard time capturing plates, but in slow traffic like in the city the cars closest to me can be read.. Even when its dark outside. (the distance for it gets a bit shorter though.)

I have had a few encounters where I just in case have read out the plate of another car loud for the camera to catch the audio. Then I know that even if the camera missed the plate I have it saved. :)

I use a Blackvue DR750s 2CH in one car and a Blackvue DR650GW 1CH plus a GW1 HD as rear camera in the other car.

Hey everyone,
I unfortunately got into a hit and run and have learned my lesson (need dash cam asap) .

I would like a dual cam, which is good at reading license plates and parking mode. I'm fine with a hit or motion sensor; since I'm in NY.

I was thinking of getting the thinkware 800pro but it seems that all the reviews are on all the extras which I don't need.

Thanks for all the help.
PS I have a Lexus es with that auto shade thing. Will the small amount of space on top be enough?

Great questions. How would you compare the Thinkware 800pro to Blackvue 650S-2CH? I am also looking at the similar specs (dual cam, read license plates, parking mode) for similar reasons.

the Thinkware is the better of the two

the more i read the more i get confused. I live in NY and may leave my car out for for like 3days parked. Im looking for something that when im parked it will notice when it gets hit, since motion sensors will always record in my area.
From what i understand Street guardian has a better video capture, but everyone says no parking mode... But then it says it has the crash sensor if its parked.. isnt that a parking mode? Sorry im a so lost

PS Jokiin you rock! been helping me for like a month if not more, and knows his stuff!

the more i read the more i get confused. I live in NY and may leave my car out for for like 3days parked. Im looking for something that when im parked it will notice when it gets hit, since motion sensors will always record in my area.
From what i understand Street guardian has a better video capture, but everyone says no parking mode... But then it says it has the crash sensor if its parked.. isnt that a parking mode? Sorry im a so lost

G-Sensor is not parking mode, the Thinkware does timelapse which will give you extended recording capability, 3 days running is likely too much for your vehicle battery though and beyond practical limits for this purpose

G-Sensor is not parking mode, the Thinkware does timelapse which will give you extended recording capability, 3 days running is likely too much for your vehicle battery though and beyond practical limits for this purpose
Ya from what i understand the "parking mode" is it keeps recording right? in my situation i cant use motion and time lapse because there are times i leave the car for days. So what i need is if my car gets hit for it to record it.

Give that, my idea of parking, does SG work? and it has better video quality no?

parking mode requires power, nothing is going to cover you for days at a time without having some sort of extra power source

parking mode requires power, nothing is going to cover you for days at a time without having some sort of extra power source

if i hardwire it to the car, i still cant leave it on for days with just the sensor which detects hits while parked? thats what i need, just if its detects motion to record from front and bacl; thats what i assumed parking mode is.

if i hardwire it to the car, i still cant leave it on for days with just the sensor which detects hits while parked? thats what i need, just if its detects motion to record from front and bacl; thats what i assumed parking mode is.

it will be using power to do that, the cameras don't work without power so can't just standby and wait

If you need something today and can't wait, thinkware is probably the way to go.
The new Dual Channel Street Guardian SG9663DC will eventually have similar parking mode, but the special 3-wire SGDCHW accessory kit that activates the new firmware function isn't ready yet.

it will be using power to do that, the cameras don't work without power so can't just standby and wait
no but i dont need it to record until or rather unless it gets hit.

So i cant have any camera if i plan on letting it sit for a few days at a time?

If you need something today and can't wait, thinkware is probably the way to go.
The new Dual Channel Street Guardian SG9663DC will eventually have similar parking mode, but the special 3-wire SGDCHW accessory kit that activates the new firmware function isn't ready yet.
but i dont really need that constant recording, all i need is if it gets hit to record...

there's no real solution that meets your criteria at this time
so the sensor thing which records impacts needs to be constantly on? again i dont need it to prerecord, before impact. just when it senses it.

so the sensor thing which records impacts needs to be constantly on? again i dont need it to prerecord, before impact. just when it senses it.

it needs to be powered, there are some solutions that have an internal battery which can go into a sleep mode and can wake on impact and record, they're flawed in a number of ways, an internal battery is not a great idea but they also wake after the event and while if you're lucky you could catch some details of some offending vehicle or person involved you won,t have any proof of the actual event that triggered the camera to wake up

Back