Dual cam : Reading license plates and parking mode

it needs to be powered, there are some solutions that have an internal battery which can go into a sleep mode and can wake on impact and record, they're flawed in a number of ways, an internal battery is not a great idea but they also wake after the event and while if you're lucky you could catch some details of some offending vehicle or person involved you won,t have any proof of the actual event that triggered the camera to wake up

so what do people use overnight?

You would use a dashcam that has parking mode (either low frame rate or pre-buffered) ideally with 3-wire power and low voltage cut off. G-sensor activation would cause a saved full recoding event.

they either run off the car battery or an auxiliary power source, parking mode is still a minority use case thing, not something everyone does or needs
ya im planning on hardwiring it

But i must warn you before you get your hopes up too high in relation to plate capture, cuz that are one of the biggest challenges for dashcams, and i must say you will often find conditions where it just dont work.
In general i always say a plate capture you can only count on if its mid day and sunny, at least if it is a fast moving event.

If I need to extract a number plate from a clip & I find it is a bit blurry, I first make a copy of the clip, then use a video editor to extract the section of the clip I need & take a few snapshots.

I then use an image focusing software to sharpen the pictures.

With Linux I have found openshot seems to be a nice video editor but I haven’t found any image focusing software for Linux yet.

Only one time have u had a need for a plate number, but the guy was right in front of me and i had my long range camera too. so the police was happy when i turned the guy in and they could go repossess his driving license.

If I a traveling 60km/h in an urban area & the guy traveling in the opposite direction is also traveling 60 km/h then I can capture his number plate but anything faster than that or if the sun is shining directly into the camera then I start having problems

Back