Dual-cam setup that can withstand high-ish temps..

What's your favorite Taco Bell meat choice!?

• Ground Beef, 93% soy meal but also possibly vegan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicken, most likely the opposite of "free range"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

staticoverdub

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd originally purchased a G1W last year, and the hot summer of Alabama causes it to freeze every 10 minutes or so, and has melted off the faceplate. I'd been in the market for a new cam, and the fantastic driver in the white van who thought merging across two solid white lines into the space my car had occupied milliseconds earlier has given me a sense of urgency.

Anyways:
- Needs to be resistant to high-ish temps
- 2 cams a plus
- parking feature not necessary
- gps not necessary, but desired
- some tinkering okay (I'm thinking something like the Yi, with its chinese firmware, is doable)
- Would like to keep it sub-$200.00

I have browsed the "what should I get?" section but it seems a bit dated.

Thanks in advance!

Yi is a battery cam, not the best choice for warmer climates

Exactly, but the point was to illustrate that I'd be willing to navigate a foreign language interface for the right camera.:cool:

A118c , mine has been a very good so far ( no issues )

Dated or no, with a similar requirement list to yours, I went BlackSys CF-100 with optional GPS. Add a hardwire BDP kit and that gives you everything you're looking for plus pre-buffered parking mode still within budget. Dual channel even if the rear cam is nothing special, capacitor power so good heat resistance, Sony Exmor sensor for good low light performance at the front. Even comes with a 16GB microSD and SD adapter to get you going (I'm still using mine). Drop the parking mode and you don't need the BDP either, so some $$ still in your pocket for a few decent microSD's instead. Use the supplied viewer software only for retrieving any GPS evidence, otherwise for clarity play the files in the free downloadable VLC player which doesn't read the GPS stream. The tinkering comes in aiming it manually and having to bring the card to the PC to see the files, because there's no screen or wi-fi. Also in splitting out the two channels into separate files for proper control in VLC, for which Gibson99 on here has a very easy-to-use script.

Dated or no, with a similar requirement list to yours, I went BlackSys CF-100 with optional GPS. Add a hardwire BDP kit and that gives you everything you're looking for plus pre-buffered parking mode still within budget. Dual channel even if the rear cam is nothing special, capacitor power so good heat resistance, Sony Exmor sensor for good low light performance at the front. Even comes with a 16GB microSD and SD adapter to get you going (I'm still using mine). Drop the parking mode and you don't need the BDP either, so some $$ still in your pocket for a few decent microSD's instead. Use the supplied viewer software only for retrieving any GPS evidence, otherwise for clarity play the files in the free downloadable VLC player which doesn't read the GPS stream. The tinkering comes in aiming it manually and having to bring the card to the PC to see the files, because there's no screen or wi-fi. Also in splitting out the two channels into separate files for proper control in VLC, for which Gibson99 on here has a very easy-to-use script.

Thanks!

I'd had my eye on that one anyways. Was a little hesitant that it didn't have a screen at all, but thinking about it, I never really liked having a screen on my last one.

Picked it up with the GPS for $90ish.

Result!

Happy to have helped, and hope it works for you :)

Back