Dual camera dash cam - Using the rear for a backup camera?

WhatWhat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a BlackVue DR550GW - it has a camera for the front and a camera for the rear.

Is it possible to split the wire to the input on my Pioneer Appradio 3 and use it as a display for the rear camera as a backup cam?

How would you go about doing this? And would it in any way alter the recording of the rear camera?

without even seeing the hardware I would say not technically possible and much simpler (and cheaper I'd expect) just to add a dedicated rear cam

I cannot justify doing a dedicated backup cam - As I don't really need one. If it was a fairly simple cable splice to do it with the camera already mounted then I'd do it.

I cannot justify doing a dedicated backup cam - As I don't really need one. If it was a fairly simple cable splice to do it with the camera already mounted then I'd do it.
it's not something you do like that unfortunately

To my knowlege the rear camera on that BlackVue model is a HD camera ( 720P )
This mean that the signal that come from it and to the front unit is a digital signal, and not a analog NTSC or PAL signal witch is what your headunit in the car accept.

This should however be possibel with future dual cam models ( me look at jokiin ) so when i car is put in REV the display on the DVR display the rear cam footage, or the footage that come via the AV out on the DVR is from the rear cam when in reverse.

The latter will proberly be prefered as the screen on the DVR is a lot smaller than what is on car headunits.

You can get a cheap NTSC ( witch is what is used in the US ) reverse cam for allmost no mony on fleabay, but i agree its "stupid" to have 2 cams mounted in the rear window.
Some reverse cams are allso waterproof and for mounting flush in your bumper, one of those will not clutter your rear window more than it is allready.

Somthing like this witch is far from the cheapest cam on fleabay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261050835380
PS. be sure to draw power to the camera from the reverse lights otherwise the cam is allways on and your headunit will think you are in reverse all the time as it detect the video signal and change to the reverse camera automatically. ( atleast my cheap ass dual din headunit do )

Last edited:
This should however be possibel with future dual cam models ( me look at jokiin ) so when i car is put in REV the display on the DVR display the rear cam footage, or the footage that come via the AV out on the DVR is from the rear cam when in reverse.

not something I'll be putting in my cameras anytime soon, similar in name but they are very different types of cameras

I was think dual cam setups might as well have a reverse cam feature, but then i just gor thinking, a reverse cam is pointed at the ground just behind the car and only covering 3-4-5 M behind the car.
A rear camera part of a dual cam dashcam should cover Things on the road behind the car and not just the asfalt directly behind the car.

Sorry :oops: some times when i brainstorm my own brain cant even keep up.

you might also notice that reverse cams are normally mirror reverse image where DVR rear cams are not

True ;)
Some times i just cant keep up with myself, i have even been told a couple of times that i have to Work slower :p but thats hard to do when i am not trying to Work fast.

No Wonder i feel burned out at the tender age of 47.

Back