Dual channel cam with reverse safety lines for no more than $120 USD

blazer123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi.

In the past year and a half and one year I've had two different budget cams on two vehicles. Both are dual channel. One is an Apexcam while the other is a Jeemak as seen here:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B07PX24LL6
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B0792S4CV9

They both have hundreds of great reviews so I don't understand why both have screwed up for me. Though they are about $50 to $65 USD.

The Apexcam has very mediocre video quality despite the high reviews. It also asked me many times to format the card. And if I drive for like half hour or more, I check the footage and there are many missing files. It has always done this. It also says every single file is 483mb when viewing the SD card on my computer.

The Jeemak clearly has better video quality, but again, drive for a while and tonnes of video files are missing. And this will turn off while driving at random times and sometimes it will stay off while other times it turns back on. It is plugged properly into the 12V. It also sometimes has corrupt files that refuse to open, same like the other cam.

For both I have legitimate name brand 32GB class 10 SD cards that I bought new at the same time. I have full formatted both several times but the problems with missing footage always continues.

I'm sick and tired of constantly fooling around with these garbage cams. But at the same time, I'm on a budget and need a new cam for each car. I want to start with one and try it out for a couple of months before buying the other.

Can someone recommend a better quality cam that is dual channel with rear cam that can hook up to tail lights to give me backup cam with safety lines? I prefer to the have the backup cam on the trunk with the lines because we occasionally have to park our long cars in single file on a driveway and park very close as the driveway is only 18" longer than our total car lengths.

Like the title says, trying not to go over $120 but if I must I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

rubbish cameras, reviews are a combination of fake reviews and people with low expectations, happens a lot at the bottom of the market

suggest not looking at any dash camera that incorporates reverse camera function, it's going to be more of the same, if you need a reverse camera buy a proper one

You would think so, but really reversing camera and dashcam don't go too well together.
For a reversing camera to work best it either need to be mounted down low on the back of the car, or up high looking down at a steep angle so you have everything behind the vehicle covered.
A rear dash camera, just like the front one are best mounted as high as you can on the respective windows, but if you have a car with a boot this mean you have a blind spot as the boot block the view.
And as it is this area pretty much right behind your car you need to see while reversing, then the rear dashcam are not optimal.
Of course if you like me have a car with a rear hatch / flat rear SUV / 4X4 / VAN then you don't have anything that block view, but then to get the first few feet behind the car in frame you need to aim the camera down at a angle that's higher than what are good for a dashcamera that pretty much need to be aimed horizontal or with a slight down angle.

The cameras you do look at that combine the 2 also often have a lesser resolution on the rear camera, and you do not want to go below 1080p on any dashcamera.

Some dashcams now do have a remote camera you could mount down below on the outside of your car, but it will get a lot of dirt that will impede capture of small detail,,,, but are fine for reversing.

120 Dollars will get you a fine true reversing camera and a 5" LCD screen, but then you still need to get a good dashcam, but the only way to really save money here are to just go with a single front camera ( which i feel are fine for documenting what you do with your car, and if you do nothing wrong then surely you can not be blamed for whatever not seen on the camera )

Reversing camera don't have to cost much and can be low resolution just fine.
But with a dashcam you in a even larger degree get what you pay for, so it is easy to fall for one of the thousands of cheap garbage cameras on the market.

The view from my rear camera while parking, and still i don't have a foot or two right behind the car in footage, and as you can see this rear camera at the time was aimed down quite a bit.

I think I'll go above my price range and get the VIOFO A129 Duo 2-Channel Full HD 1080p 30fps Car Dash Camera with GPS Logger & CPL Lens Filter.

It's on amazon for $160 USD.

I think I can get away without the reverse safety lines. If I like this cam I might then get one for my wife's car as well. She is running the Jeemak. I can leave that cheap cam there just for reversing when needed and wire the reverse cam into the tail light to provide the safety lines.

Back