Dual channel dashcam or 2 x spy cam?

Stratus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
One of the issues I've had with most dashcams until the present is their size and the difficulty in locating them which is why I purchased a particular model which was quite small but also cheap. Alas the rear cam ceased functionning quite quickly. As a temporary solution I installed one of those very cheap and tiny spy cams with motion detection. It worked very well.

As I need to get a new dashcam for the front too I'm toying with the idea of simply getting 2 x spycams. The whole unit slips under the rooftop liner with the lens only jutting out. I can also have motion detection for both the front and rear of the car which no dedicated dashcam seems to have. The only downside I can think of is the more complicated wiring set up. Basically two systems instead of one. Pricewise 2 x spycams cost less than A$100 a pair. A dedicated cheap dual channel dashcam is at least A$300, whilst better models are from A$500.

Does this seem like a reasonable solution, or are there other considerations required?

I would expect spy cameras would just melt in AU, but then again i don't know if any part of the rather large country get blistering hot in the summer time.
It is my general understanding all 2 channel dashcams also have motion detect on both cameras, if it only have on one camera you could compensate for that by reversing into your parking slot.
What mini cam did you try before ? i assume the 0906

But Anything with a lipo battery in it i would not trust in Danish weather conditions ( which top out around 30 degrees on the few really warm summer days ) Australian summers i assume would make any battery camera i fire hazard for your car

You might want to have a look at the B1W- a pair of these could do you well for relatively low cost, and they're one of the best "budget" level dashcams ever made IMHO. A good reputation for reliability in high-heat climates, good vids, and good after-sales support in a sleek cam the size of a roll of small coins. It should give you many years of trouble-free service. The original Mobius still does good in daytime but isn't much good at night; the "matchbox" form-factor may be better for you though. Don't forget that it will need a seperately purchased mount and PS when considering cost. Plus you can buy and install one at a time if money is tight.

Two channel cams can be more convenient, but there are few good ones and of those none will be as cheap as two equally-performing single cams, or their rear cam performance will be lower than what most folks want today. Some newer models are emerging but of the currently available ones, I can't recommend anything less than the A129 Duo as cheaper options have all shown issues with reliability or lifespan and sometimes both. The "spy" type cams I've looked at are all built to a cheap spec with low card-size support, low vid bitrates, and low-end hardware. Might be good for their intended job but nowhere near what I want from a dashcam and I'm not all that hard to please.

Phil

Back