Dual channel DVR with small remote lenses?

wiedzmin

Reaction score
Does there exist such a thing as a remote dual (or more) channel car DVR with small, unobtrusive, remote lenses? I see no point in having the DVR itself (with all the screens and buttons and such) hanging in the window, attracting someone to break in next time I park. The DVR unit itself can sit in the glovebox, or under the seat, until the need to review the video arises, and tiny cameras can be mounted on any window, connecting to it with thin, easy to pull wires. I tried searching this site and the rest of the web, but nothing jumps out... Thanks in advance!

So far i have not come across remote lenses doing other than SD (PAL/NTSC), so just very limited resolution, plus poor color quality due to CompositeVideo (CVBS) signal.

Some 720p (HD) models do have tiltable optics, but there is a multiwire (flat cable) inside and probably no chance of extending those leeds for distances longer than a few inches (and even this at high costs for bold pairs of shielded cables).
So the maximum i guess is looking for a devices with no screen and small form factor. (Like the K9M/A8)

Itronics ITB-500HD is exactly what you want.

Hello Everyone

We are new here to DashCam Talk, but we agree the ITB-500HD from iTRONICs is the best choice for a dual cam setup where the DVR is not mounted to the windshield. The DVR portion on the iTRONICS ITB-500HD is mounted separately in a small black box (under the dash, uder the seat etc.) and only the cameras themselves are visible.

We are one of the only ones in Canada that stock this camera, check it out here: http://www.lockdownsecuritycanada.c...ull-HD-2-Channel-Drive-Recorde-p/itb500hd.htm

How large are the cameras on this unit? They look pretty big on the pictures.

LockdownSecurity.ca said:
Hello Everyone

We are new here to DashCam Talk, but we agree the ITB-500HD from iTRONICs is the best choice for a dual cam setup where the DVR is not mounted to the windshield. The DVR portion on the iTRONICS ITB-500HD is mounted separately in a small black box (under the dash, uder the seat etc.) and only the cameras themselves are visible.

We are one of the only ones in Canada that stock this camera, check it out here: http://www.lockdownsecuritycanada.c...ull-HD-2-Channel-Drive-Recorde-p/itb500hd.htm

Pics of the ITB-500HD cameras and the hideaway box below , they are actually pretty small and compact

iy379v.jpg

dw5sp2.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the fast response! Looks like a great setup.

We just installed an ITB-500HD in a 2002 BMW 528i if you want to check out some video of the camera in action, some video of the software as well (apologies it's in Korean)

Last edited by a moderator:
We are currently waiting for the English user manaul and English software link to be sent to us, but I believe there is a way to shut the LEDs off (for security etc.)

Hey Justin

Yep the cameras can be mounted vertically and horizontally, the image can be inverted/rotated via the viewer software.

wiedzmin said:
Does there exist such a thing as a remote dual (or more) channel car DVR with small, unobtrusive, remote lenses? I see no point in having the DVR itself (with all the screens and buttons and such) hanging in the window, attracting someone to break in next time I park. The DVR unit itself can sit in the glovebox, or under the seat, until the need to review the video arises, and tiny cameras can be mounted on any window, connecting to it with thin, easy to pull wires. I tried searching this site and the rest of the web, but nothing jumps out... Thanks in advance!

The iTronics ITB 500 seems to fit the bill for what you say that you want.
But my own perception of needs goes wider and more ambitious than that.
For a system to protect the whole car, looking out the front and rear windscreens with cameras just doesn't cut it, since there are many incidents (such as supermarket parking events) where all the action happens at the sides of the vehicle. So my own needs go to 4 cameras :). With cameras all over the car the wiring back to a central recorder seems overly complex. If it is possible to put WiFi into a system, then why not have wireless cameras ? - then all that is needed is to power the devices.
Lastly there needs to be more competition in the market, to weed out the crappy products and the overpriced products. Perhaps car manufacturers ought to start offering this sort of thing as an option ?

we're probably a fair way away from it becoming a factory option in cars, maybe one day

4 channel systems exist now but not wireless, there's some other complications with wireless cameras based on current technology but that may well change in time, things do change at a rapid pace

Also, once you start to do wireless, you will have all the security issues associated with it. It will consume more power, be bigger, and potentially less reliable, due to it being more complex.

i would want to have a switch on the front lens to turn on/off the wifi on the DVR. this way, the DVR can be hidden and buried deep in the dash, and all the recording could be viewed/downloaded via smartphone/laptop without having to have physical access to the dvr.

this is the specs of the camera system that i am waiting for.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=704&start=160#p18584

Actually there is out there already for few month 4ch 1280 x 1024 standalone car dvr.
64gb SD/ ssd, usb record, external hdd, gps, LAN option ( wifi, 3G etc )

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/76378 ... om=wap&s=p

just need to add high quality low lux cameras

Also for wifi / 3g transmission need to sort out battery issue, for example adding additional car battery or special high capacity battery pack.

Question for everyone looking for a multi-camera dashcam:

Would you be interested to see Lockdown Security carry a multi-channel DVR with WiFi, similar if not the same as what some have posted links to in this thread?

We are gauging market interest and would like to know if this is a category of product we should also get into.

We look forward to hearing from everyone!

LockdownSecurity.ca said:
We are gauging market interest and would like to know if this is a category of product we should also get into.
We look forward to hearing from everyone!

I've decided to wait until A7L-A solutions have matured a bit as far as dual cams are concerned.
The stuff on the market at this point is overpriced for what you get or just not good enough, IMHO.
In the meantime it's separate cameras for me with a Mobius on the way for the rear to go with a GT300W up front :cool:

I would like to see the mobius with bluetooth capability.

OR, same high spec but from 2 remote lenses & a master recording unit capable of high quality recording onto 2 64GB SD cards, 1 card per lens (mobius supports 32gig max & 10 min file = 1.38gig)
maybe offer a couple of systems - a basic system where only date/time stamp + a higher system with GPS, G sensor, motion detect etc for those wanting more

Back