Dual dash cam in COLD weather

Wynter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What I'm looking for in my dual dash cam:
-temp rating that can function well in -40 degree (same in C and F) weather (I believe supercapacitor shines better here)
-wifi (don't want to fiddle with an sd card with cold fingers)
-good night vision (gets dark here starting at 4pm in winter months, however I'm in a city with lots of light around. 1080p on both would still be preferable)
-wide angle front and back (I drive on roads with 6 lanes daily)
-parking sensor
-ease of access buttons (my current autovox has small buttons tucked under the mirror - hard to press with gloves and not easy to press in emergency situations)
-gps capability would be a bonus
-max price is $300 CAD

I thought I had my choices narrowed down to the AUKEY Dual Dash Cam and the Rexing V1P Pro (considering this one first). Con for the AUKEY is that it doesn't do wifi and con for the Rexing is that it doesn't have a parking sensor (I think I can update the firmware to do this. Company site said for the V1 and V1p, so hopefully that includes the V1p Pro). I had also considered the VIOFO A129 Duo, but the temp rating doesn't look good for my needs and the viewing angles are less than the other ones I mentioned. Are there other ones that I should consider and does anyone know if the V1p Pro would get the firmware update to detect motion and have a parking sensor?

Viofo A129 Duo would be good, with optional remote control.

-40 may be colder than specifications, but won't cause much trouble. Maybe slightly out of focus until it warms up.
The viewing angles will be similar to the others, they are just measured correctly instead of exaggerated for marketing reasons! The Pro version is slightly wider, and probably warms up faster.

I too live in a climate that can experience extreme sub-freezing winter temperatures. Minus 40º exceeds the specifications of practically every dash cam DSP on the market. Regardless of which brand of camera you purchase it is possible that any of them might not boot up properly after a prolonged period of sitting un-powered in such tempts.

If you should encounter this when you start your vehicle the solution is to leave the camera plugged in for about 60 seconds or so to give the chip-set and other electronics a chance to warm up. Then unplug the camera and plug it back in. The camera should then boot up and begin recording.

Viofo A129 Duo would be good, with optional remote control.

-40 may be colder than specifications, but won't cause much trouble. Maybe slightly out of focus until it warms up.
The viewing angles will be similar to the others, they are just measured correctly instead of exaggerated for marketing reasons! The Pro version is slightly wider, and probably warms up faster.
The viofo pro looks good, but it doesn't come with a rear cam.

I was hit in the rear at a red light a week ago and my rear cam only recorded a blue screen. I had a truck back up into my car while I was parked and his trailer hitch punched a hole in my front bumper. I also have paint scratched off of my side bumper, so it looks like I was hit from the side at a parking lot. Every area of my car has been hit and that's why I'd like my new cam to have front and rear and as wide of a viewing angle as possible. Is the Rexing exaggerating it's 170 degree viewing angle? Not sure how they can do this.

I too live in a climate that can experience extreme sub-freezing winter temperatures. Minus 40º exceeds the specifications of practically every dash cam DSP on the market. Regardless of which brand of camera you purchase it is possible that any of them might not boot up properly after a prolonged period of sitting un-powered in such tempts.

If you should encounter this when you start your vehicle the solution is to leave the camera plugged in for about 60 seconds or so to give the chip-set and other electronics a chance to warm up. Then unplug the camera and plug it back in. The camera should then boot up and begin recording.
My current dashcam doesn't like the cold temperatures for the rear camera. I always get a blue screen when I go into reverse (it's a backup cam) and it'll start working once it's warmed up. I was recently looking up surveillance cams and not all of those can function in colder temps, so that's why I have put an emphasis on it. It seems like they are designed for a broader customer base than the surveillance/video doorbell systems. Good to know!

I thought I had my choices narrowed down to the AUKEY Dual Dash Cam and the Rexing V1P Pro (considering this one first). Con for the AUKEY is that it doesn't do wifi and con for the Rexing is that it doesn't have a parking sensor (I think I can update the firmware to do this. Company site said for the V1 and V1p, so hopefully that includes the V1p Pro). I had also considered the VIOFO A129 Duo, but the temp rating doesn't look good for my needs and the viewing angles are less than the other ones I mentioned. Are there other ones that I should consider and does anyone know if the V1p Pro would get the firmware update to detect motion and have a parking sensor?
the Viofo is by far the better option of the three you are looking at, don't put too much faith in the numbers quoted by Aukey and Rexing for temp, viewing angle etc, it's just marketing fluff so not something you can use to compare with others

I don't know about doorbell cams or similar consumer products but actual CCTV cameras will function just fine in extreme temps. I've been running a range of CCTV cameras for over ten years now in both extreme cold weather and extreme hot weather and none of them have had so much as a hiccup. There are some high end CCTV cams on the market designed specifically for extreme cold that have heaters inside the housings but for most situations such heaters are not required.

Last edited:
The viofo pro looks good, but it doesn't come with a rear cam.
The A129 Pro does normally come with a rear cam, probably called the A129 Pro Duo, but it is possible to get it without.
Is the Rexing exaggerating it's 170 degree viewing angle? Not sure how they can do this.
Easy enough for some of these companies to simply lie, but viewing angle could be horizontal, vertical, diagonal, the field of view of the sensor, the field of view of the lens (much bigger than the sensor), and apparently a few other options too!

When it comes to temperature, if it is made in Korea then they will never have experienced -40 and probably don't realise that anyone lives in such temperatures, so why would the specs allow it?! In reality most cameras will cope with -40, although it is not good for lithium batteries so definitely go for a super capacitor camera. Temperatures around -1 tend to be worst since then you also have humidity issues and ice inside the camera is definitely bad. Colder than -40 and things do start to go wrong fairly fast, but then your vehicle doesn't survive either.

Finally made a decision and put in an order for the VIOFO A129 Duo and also bought a 256 GB Samsung EVO Plus (green colour) sd card. @Nigel I found some of your comments from a post last year about what brand and type of sd card to use. Even VIOFO responded in the thread and I believe I got the same one that they were using for their testing. There is a pro duo version shipping out on the 8th, but I think I'll be happy with the one that I ordered. Looks like the pro does higher definition for the cams and offers "advanced" parking mode. The link that I gave for the viofo doesn't include the CPL filter, but I can get that later if I feel that I need it. I found a link that included it after I put in my order that would have been cheaper overall, but oh well, I get mine tomorrow. Thank you so much to everyone for your suggestions and education for a dashcam that will work for me. Much love and appreciation <3

Back