Dual Dash Cam required, UK, Mid-low budget - SUPER confused!

OverwhelmedNewbieUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am really sorry to have to post here, I can see that there are many posts constantly; I have tried working through this, alongside the 'bestbuys' etc but this has led to me being super overwhelmed!

I passed my test on Thursday (I'm 29, yes...well overdue!!) and have purchased my first car today - a Peugeot 208 (I know people have mixed opinions, but I kinda fell in love!)

At this point, the car is paid for and will be ready to collect in a few days (Saturday, with tax paid), I have my insurance sorted (£950, I expected much worse) so my next task is finding a front and rear dash cam. I have included as much information as possible below and any assistance that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated! I hate being 'that guy' who posts for help but being so new to everything I really need someone else's opinion! Please excuse my formatting, I have tried to make it as easy to read as possible but who knows if it has actually helped!

Car Model: Peugeot 208 (1.2) VTi Access+ 3dr hatchback (2012)

Fitting: I would like this fitted into the car to minimise trailing wires, free up 12v access for satnav/phone charger, auto start on ignition on. From what I understand, this will require a hardwire kit (purchases separately) where is best to get this fitted? (I wouldn't be confident to do myself)

Cameras Required: 2 - 1xFront road, 1xback road. From what I understand, a dual cam would serve me best here?

Video Quality - must be good or better. I want to be able to make out number plates with both front and back cameras.

NIghttime use - would be good if suitable.

Size / Screen estate - I would like both cameras to be fairly discrete, as a new driver I would like as much of my view to be unobstructed as possible. - I originally looked at those mirror cams for use with a reversing cam, but these seem HUGE, something which is tucked away under the mirror so I can't see it would be ideal.

Reliability - Obviously important!

GPS - Yes!

G-sensor (I think this is what it is called) - Would be nice!

Record while parked - Unsure about this, would be great to record if seemed like car was bumped, but concerned about draining battery of car?

Other - Not sure what else to suggest, any other features worthwhile? Would be good if was easy to remove or had an sd card to put onto PC. What about people stealing cameras? is this an issue people notice?

Budget - Assuming £40-50 to hire someone to fit, I wouldn't really want to pay more than £100 for the dual cameras, as then would need to purchase hard-wire kit and SD card. (Toal buy, under £200 ideally)
What I have been looking at: "VIOFO A129 Duo Dual" has been recommended a lot on these forums, this is a little more than I wanted to ideally pay but would this suit my needs and is it worth the extra outlay?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Yours:

Jon

Welcome to forum, Jon.
Your introduction and "what should I buy" is one of the most detailed and easy to read. I wish most other peoples would stick to the similar format. This way would be much easier for others (experts, enthusiasts) to recommend suitable dashcam.

You are on the right track, Viofo A129 Duo is probably one of the best choices within your budget.

although the A129 might be above what you want to spend I would say it's the minimum you should look at to meet what you want, anything cheaper and you're going to be giving up a lot, not worth saving a few dollars and having a much lesser product

Easy with dashcams to buy too cheap.

Thank you for your replies, I am glad that the layout makes it easier to read Niko!

Is the A129 easy to fit? (i.e. any garage could fit it without issue, how long would this normally take?)

How does this work with the car battery in parking mode?

Is it easy to remove? Or should I just leave in place and only take Micro SD?

You can see a good short overview of the A129 Duo from Car Cam Central here
, there is also a mention about Hardware Kit.
This Dashcam allows easy removal

Thank you for linking that video! It has been really helpful, I imagine I will go for the A129 - just need to find someone to fit it and hope that doesn't cause battery troubles for car haha

Back