Dual purpose camera: SJCAM M10 or Mobius?

Why do you say that in the past tense? Don't they make those versions anymore? And how different is the case? So different that it wouldn't be able to use the waterproof case?

That means they could have the same problems with the heat in the long run as the others, when used as a dashcam? If I decide to go with it my plan is to stick the waterproof case to the helmet, so I don't know if it'll cool that much inside it, even with the heat transfer bands that come with Joovuu's case.

My plan from the beginning was to use the sticky back mount. The M10 comes with two of these mounts.
It would be very difficult to have a passenger helping me to aim the camera because my bike is a single-seater. :D

You could experiment with some decent double-stick tape and a safety string securing the cam should the tape fail while testing. Once you find the exact right spot, reattach with a better adhesive. I can't comment about the waterproof case and cooling, but without the case I think you'd be OK as long as you keep the helmet and cam out of the sun and turned off when not riding. You could use super-caps but that would require a power lead from bike to cam which could fail without notice, and to me anyway those things are too awkward. I guess all you can do is try and perhaps have a new battery ready should the old one give problems.

Phil

The thing is I don't want to use whatever camera I choose on the helmet without the case because of the wind noise, bugs and other flying things that could hit and damage the camera.

The thing is I don't want to use whatever camera I choose on the helmet without the case because of the wind noise, bugs and other flying things that could hit and damage the camera.

Have you asked @JooVuu whether the 90° rotated version of Mobius will fit in their waterproof case? If it doesn't, it should fit in the flexible alternative case...

image.jpg

Didn't know they had that weather cover but it doesn't seem to be available here in Europe. Too bad because it seems to let in a lot more sound than I assume the waterproof case will.
Didn't find the 90º version over here as well.

Ok, after giving some thought to it I decided to discard the 90º Mobius, for two reasons:

1- If I chose it my idea was to place the camera on the left side of the RVM stem but then I remembered I remove the card every day and the card slot is on the back of the camera. I could do it anyway but I'd have to move the RVM all the way to the right and reajust it everytime, just to remove the card or the camera. Another thing is the camera would have to be attached to some sort of mount so that it could be properly aimed and there's not enough space between the left of the RVM and the windscreen to fit the camera. I know I could mount it on the right side, where there's more room, but then I couldn't remove the card from the drivers seat. It may look like I'm being picky but any camera installation in this car can't be permanent.
2- It would probably look better vertically than horizontally on the side of the helmet but it might create a turbulence area that would increase the noise inside the helmet, right next to my left ear. My bike is a hypersport bike, with not much wind protection and designed to use the rider's helmet as part of the aerodynamics.

I could just buy the M10 and end this thread, but I don't want to do it (buy the M10, that is) thinking I could be missing out on something that would definitely convince me to buy the Mobius instead.

Back