Dumb Ass

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c

There is no reason to be on the wrong side of the road here .. But that dont matter to dumb ass

High speed ? There was no high speed .. Area is 50 kmh , and he was probably doing 40kmh .. ??????? As to why

Gibson are using irony.
But yeah dumb ass indeed, it seem like this race line driving are pretty common now, i have even seen little old ladies do it, pretty much everything from punk kids and up.

It also frustrate the living hell out of me when people ride the brake pedal, not really as they want to stop, but just enough to turn on the brake light, many people drive like its Ford Model T brakes on their car.

"Smart" cars are also making people stupid.

...It also frustrate the living hell out of me when people ride the brake pedal, not really as they want to stop, but just enough to turn on the brake light,...
Yep, one of my top 3 also.

High speed ? There was no high speed .. Area is 50 kmh , and he was probably doing 40kmh .. ??????? As to why
yeah the /s at the end is meant to indicate the end of the "sarcasm" section. :p it's used on several other forums i frequent (though i see it primarily on arstechnica) so i figured maybe it was becoming more well known.

Yep, one of my top 3 also.
yeah it's extra annoying with the super-bright LEDs like on that escalade. though that one looked like they were left-foot-braking while they tailgated the crap out of the vehicle ahead of them. these same people probably wonder why their brakes wear out so fast (and their front wheels are always black from brake dust), and they get such bad fuel economy. i'm certain they blame it on the vehicle.

i do sometimes use my left foot to apply brakes, but pretty much ONLY in an actual race, where it makes a difference, such as minimizing the time to transition between acceleration and braking, to deliberately upset the balance of the car to make it rotate, or occasionally just light, steady braking during a steady state turn (or sometimes a slalom) to help the LSD do its thing. i'm still not that great at switching my feet around between left foot brake and heel-toe downshift, mostly since downshifting is so rare in the type of racing i did (basically get into 2nd and leave it there) but it was obvious i did both in the miata - if you looked at the brake pedal, the center part looked new, but both edges were heavily worn. :D

that said, i also left foot brake (in an automatic) when pulling a boat out of the water up the ramp, or just to keep from rolling backwards when starting on a steep hill. in a manual i use the handbrake for the same purpose. i'll never understand manual vehicles that have a foot-operated parking brake such as the F150. in toyota's trucks, they have a T-handle on the dash you pull out to set the brake, then squeeze a trigger and twist to release it. keep the trigger down and handle turned, and you can manually control the parking brake as needed without worrying about it locking in position.

I have never been able to come to terms with left foot braking, in the normal stick shifts here or on the rare occasions i have tried a automatic.

I can do it if its on the limit, but otherwise i find it weird to dose the brake force for day 2 day driving, its the same trying to man the gas pedal and brake ( heel / toe ) with the right foot, i can do it but again got to be race conditions where the gas are floored mostly anyway.
Dont get people that drive along on a road, then want to go into R or L turn lanes ( empty and long ) so they start "braking" 1/8 mile before, where i just keep up the speed turn into lane, and then do my braking there.
Same going downhill, many brake more or less, i just downshift and use my motor / gearbox to make sure i dont over-speed due to the downhill.

I don't left foot brake or heel toe during normal driving. And the first time I tried left foot braking (to slow the car, not to hold it on a hill) I nearly ate my steering wheel because my left foot was accustomed to quickly pressing the clutch, but the brakes require more finesse. Like anything else, it takes practice.

Even in an auto I downshift when going down a big hill or mountain so I don't cook the brakes.

Hmmm , a friend of mine said .. Brakes are cheaper than auto transmissions ..
I don't ride the Auto too hard , I try to be gentle with it .
At the same time I dont ride the brake , I will save the Auto , but I wont save the brakes .. Pads are relatively cheap .
Just got to know when to slow down and how much ..
But then some hills are monstrous ..

Around Houston I never shift the auto box... But in the Rocky mountains, I absolutely do. You can and will overheat the brakes, and then you have NO brakes, and potentially a brake fire. Which is not a feeling I ever want to experience in the mountains. I've experienced brake fade on the race track but that was tolerable since there were safe runoff points designed into the track. Not so much on a mountain.

Yeah just brake fade are a sinking feeling when it strike, i only encountered it on public streets as aside for getting my truck license i never been on a race track.
Trucking Teacher did come over the radio telling me that yes this is a race track and i was encouraged to push it to learn my limits and that of the truck and trailer, but still he said,,,, chill :giggle:

Having 1/4 or so braking ability on public streets was bad,,,,,, really bad :oops: thank god i am not that kind of douche bag anymore.

Never suffered brake fail / sag / ...
Not even with drum brakes ...

We have some really big hills in the mountains - Maybe not as big as the ALPS - But one hill ..
Is a very long steep winding road that people often suffer brake fade on and end up crashing ...

I was driving a manual car , and had it in 2nd gear for the decent , and the tool in front of me was ridding his brakes hard
About 3/4 down I saw flames come out of his rear brakes ( drums probably ) ...

Almost always some one put their car into the side of the mountain or off the mountain ..
Family sedans are not race cars , they were never designed to handle extreme braking for extended periods ..
And this one particular hill was long and steep , and it caught out idiots all the time .

they're pretty serious about your brakes on the way down Pike's Peak - http://www.pikespeak1.com/descending-pikes-peak-by-car

I've not driven pike's peak myself, but have driven other mountains not far from there, and some of those passes are quite steep - if you don't use engine braking, you will most likely crash in short order, or if you're lucky, run off into one of the gravel traps designed for runaway vehicles.

Even with the aircon on recirculate, i can smell other peoples' hot brakes as we go down those mountains.

the thing that gets me is that it's so easy to do. Even our hybrid (which has a "gear-less" CVT) has an engine braking mode - you just move the shifter to B and it maxes out the regenerative braking till the battery is full, then you can hear the engine rev up to do traditional compression braking. if you're used to regular transmissions (both auto and manual), using engine braking in a vehicle with a CVT is just weird, how it revs all over the place. but it works fine.

I like the retarder brake in Semis, on the older trucks i learned it was a additional "pedal" to step on.
But worked like a charm going downhill.

Remember my first car it had a foot switch for the high beams.

Me too , my first car had the high beam on the floor ..
1st gear had no syncro ( Called a crash box - gearbox ) .. 4 wheel drums , bench seat , 3 speed , drove like a boat ..
Still , not a horrible car , gave good fuel economy even by today's standards

Me too , my first car had the high beam on the floor ..
1st gear had no syncro ( Called a crash box - gearbox ) .. 4 wheel drums , bench seat , 3 speed , drove like a boat ..
Still , not a horrible car , gave good fuel economy even by today's standards

worth a mint in the current market

Yeah ...
Should'a RT/49 , GTR XU1 , RT/58 (? Think it was a RT58 )
Phase 3 Ford ...

Should'a / should'a / should'a

Even a HK GTS with a 327 ..
Oh dear !

I saw Mad max on TV last night, sort of made me want a car with that interceptor paint job.

Lane discipline seems to have been consigned to history. It's just a logical extension that being on the right side of the road is optional.

And god, I wish I was joking. Certain classes of road users DO think both sides of the road are available to them, and oncoming traffic has to get out of their way. Yes, I do mean that literally, I see it every day.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back