Dumb question regarding DR-750S installation

stream41

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys - I'm planning on installing two Blackvue DR-750S cams in a Nissan Frontier and a BMW 335i. I want to use mirror tap cables for both installs. On the Nissan all I have is the auto-dimming/compass/temp cable, but on the 335i there's also a rain sensor cable. Which should I use on the 335i? And here's the dumb part - will the car's mirrors still work properly after I've tapped their cables? And how does the cam know how to draw the right amount of power when not using its factory power cable? Also seems like an auto dimming mirror wouldn't supply enough power for a dash cam.

I would leave the original cable on the car alone and tap into the fusebox if you have to.

Only stupid question is the same one asked over and over in expectation of a different answer ( A. Einstein )

Im not familiar with these brand / models of cameras / cars, but i too would leave the car wire harness alone and tap into fuse box.
Im told new cars can have "smart" wire looms and tapping into it can be problematic, though the fuse box are also a part of that loom.

Just my opinion.. but you could use either of the two power supplies.. Providing... they are full voltage ~12..14 volts. It comes down to where the "dimming" or "rain sensor" voltage is taking place, .. most likely inside the unit itself (especially the dimming).. the rain sensor is up for grabs. Lots of folk tie into the various wires that are in the roof liner area. Just find one that is full voltage. One thing to consider... if that power supply is hot all the time.. or off with the key.. You will not want your camera running all the time without some low battery protection.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'll be using a multimeter to test voltage on all the wires to find the right ones, with the ignition on and off.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'll be using a multimeter to test voltage on all the wires to find the right ones, with the ignition on and off.

If your car uses the Canbus protocol you might be heading for trouble. A friend of mine fitted some lights to his new car and he ended up paying for a new ECU. Out of his own pockets.

Back