Duo HD UK mounting problems kindly resolved by NEXTBASE

DaveGY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Next base Duo HD
After hardwiring and trying to find the UK legal windscreen position for my cam today I ended up with my cam on the far passenger side of the A180 with several round saliva marks everywhere else. Obviously this is ridiculous and not only renders the rear facing camera completely useless but obscures the passenger view. I did a fair old bit of reasearch before my other half ahem cough cough..... bought me the Duo HD for Christmas, hence I’m a little annoyed with myself for not spotting the obvious and never giving the bulbous head console on my Mercedes A180 a thought. Now I’m not blaming NEXTBASE for me being unable to keep within UK the law regarding encroachment into the drivers swept area (please correct me if I’m wrong but 40mm into passenger swept area and 0mm into drivers swept area of the windscreen).

Now I am asking NEXTBASE

@NextBase Tiffany
#NextBase Tiffany

if there are any plans to solve this problem for me and other drivers with sensor consoles etc blocking a legal mounting position in our cars. I have seen the non OEM 3D printed stealth mounts that are available but not tested etc etc are there any plans to release a Shrtr alternative to the looooooooong mount and if so can I have one please?

Hello and Welcome @DaveGY

In regards to the mount you should have a little adhesive mount in there too, that is a low profile version of the large sucker.

I have just sent an email to you before seeing this post. Are you able to turn the camera 180 degrees, then turn each lens 180 degrees. This will essentially switch the lenses so you have the rear view in on the right and the front view on the left. I'd recommend turning on screen saver mode so the LCD isn't on in this case.

Something a little more practical - This one will depend on the rake of your windscreen, are you able to swivel the unit so that the forward facing camera is pointing directly out front. I have just tried on my car and it worked surprisingly well. See photo below:

1514717362765.png

Last edited:
Good Morning @NextBase Tiffany , Thank you for your reply. Now that’s something I never thought of and a great example of thinking outside the box. I will give that a try as I never have the LCD on anyhow. I have ordered the 3D printed mount from stealthmounts on eBay £12.50. I’ll let you know I get on in both cases. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Update..... I have tried your suggestion Tiffany and it works on my 2014 Mercedes A180. It actually makes the cam a little more stealthy. ThanksB086ECEC-25C9-49C1-8DD3-4C8690147713.jpegC8B14629-32A8-4C75-87DB-F0606D60BDFA.jpeg

Last edited:
You're welcome, its really important that it is positioned in the right way so to not cause a distraction!

That looks fantastic thanks for the pictures - I can't see it at all in the second one.

Happy New Year to you too.

Yes all credit to you. @NextBase Tiffany That’s what I was trying to show in the second picture (stealth) so I’m glad you got what I meant. I will post back here when I try the 3D printed mount from @stealthmounts .

Once again if NEXTBASE do develop another mount I would be happy to test it for you ;)

Did you see this little thing in the box? Its an adhesive version.

1514731684436.png

There should be, where was it purchased from? I can get one posted for you pop an email over to me with your address.

I have sent a message thanks !!!! :)

Last edited:
As a footnote to my Original post. @NextBase Tiffany has resolved all of my niggles with mounting my DUO HD and is second to none for service. Not only did she send me a picture of the camera set up in her own car, she is sending me out a new adhesive mount next business day and all of this on not just on a Sunday but New Years Eve Sunday. You are indeed a credit to top notch customer service. Thanks

@NextBase Tiffany . The smaller mount arrived on Thursday thank you. The stealth mount from eBay also arrived the same day. I have to say that there is hardly any height difference between the 2. After holding up both on the windscreen I have decided on permanently sticking the NEXTBASE mount on there as there is more flexibility of movement, I have also mounted the dashcam side-on as you previously suggested in this thread as this is a better option regarding positioning for my huge rear view mirror/lighting cluster and a far more stealthy option as previous pictures. Thanks again for all of your help a true credit to costumer service and satisfaction !!!!!!

Did you see this little thing in the box? Its an adhesive version.

View attachment 35413
Sorry for hijacking this thread both - but, Tiffany, is this available to purchase as I want a second one for my wife's car. I purchased a second GPS quick mount but it only comes with the suction cup attachment and I cannot see anywhere how to buy an extra one. I resorted to ebay but it is not nearly as good as the OEM :)

That is true @JeffB pop an email over to me on support@nextbase.co.uk or PM me and I can post one.

Moving forward we are likely going with adding the sticky part into the box of the GPS mount so they customer has a choice.

Last edited:
Back