DV688 bught from Amazon

MichaelB-WA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. I recently ordered a DV688 and a GPS module from Amazon to install on my 2017 Honda Gold Wing. I received the DVR and GPS module in about seven days. It would have come earlier except for the inclement weather we had here in western Washington around Valentine's day.

I installed a 128 gb SD card and set it all up on a table in the garage on Tuesday the 16th. The DVR and cams worked very well. The buttons on the DVR are kind of difficult to use, it takes a lot of well placed pressure in exactly the right spot to activate the switches, not glove friendly at all. But that is probably the price one has to pay for a relatively rain proof DVR.

I encountered a bit of a glitch. With the GPS module connected, it never located any satellites. The GPS Icon on the DVR screen never changed from gray to red as documented in the manual. I kept the unit in an open area outside of the garage for about an hour. No satellites.

I called the support line in Los Angeles. Evidently they don't take voice calls so I sent them a text. Someone got back to me within 15 minutes. However, the texter said that they were not familiar with the DV688. I was surprised. The individual said that they would open a case and their people overseas would contact me but with Covid and the Chinese New Year holidays, the responses may be slower than usual. Oh well. Wait I will.

So, as a pre-emptive strike, I sent an email to their support email address detailing what the issues were. I figured it would not hurt to launch a two pronged approach.

Later that evening, about 9 hours later, I received a text and a few minutes later an email. Don't know who sent the text but the email was from Vicky. The texter asked for a picture of the DVR so they could see the status of the GPS icon. They also suggest that I download and use the GPS player GV player. I never found that player, just a GX player and it is not so hot. It does not show picture in picture of front and rear cams. Documentation is non-existent as well. The texter said that they, not sure who they are, will send me a new GPS module.

Vicky's email confirmed that a new GPS module would be sent to me so I provided an address for her. I did not get a tracking number yet nor did I receive an estimate on when the module would be sent. I was kind of thinking I could just order one from Amazon. It would be delivered by next Monday. But I decided I will wait and see how long it would take them to get me a new module.

So now it is a bit of a waiting game before an installation can begin. I'll keep you posted.

By thw way, I had no idea that the DV688 was an outdated model. Anyone know what the newest version is?

The new model is the DV988, and the company who makes them are our member @estore009 who will take care of you :) But it's Chinese New Year and for 2 weeks nothing gets done over there during that time- not just this company but all Chinese companies. So as soon as they're back in their offices, factories, and warehouses your promised GPS module will be on it's way ;)

Phil

Arranged for this GPS module shipping, and let me know when it arrives!

Thank you estore009. I got the email a couple of hours ago about the approximate delivery time from China. I appreciate it.

Yes, this is June and we initially communicated in February but there is still an issue.
I connected the GPS module and it found the satellites. I thought the issue was solved.
I continued to use the DV688 and filled a 128 GB SD card. The front and rear videos were very good but, I continue to have an issue with this DV688 cam. For the last several months, the screen on the DV688 indicates that it is connecting to the GPS module but when I look at the videos, there is no map, no speed and no location indicated on the Graph, Dashboard or Satellite views. I connected a third GPS module and it finds the satellites on the DV688 screen by showing the RED illumination of the icon. Still, there is no GPS data recorded on the SD card. I have tried two different dash cam viewer software and get the same result. I am using the Dashcam Viewer Plus and the DV Player. Can you recommend a solution?

I connected a third GPS module and it finds the satellites on the DV688 screen by showing the RED illumination of the icon
How about this GPS data stamp in the video footage? If no GPS stamp in the video clips, it should be faulty!

There is no GPS data stamp in the video footage that I can find. Perhaps I do not know what I am looking for but what I do see is a Date, Time and Speed in KmH.

Speed, yes but there is no GPS location. And the Satellite map that is visible when I zoom out shows the Equator and somewhere in Africa.

Speed, yes but there is no GPS location. And the Satellite map that is visible when I zoom out shows the Equator and somewhere in Africa.
that's a player issue, not the camera

would suggest sending a sample file to @DVPlayer so they can work it out, they're very good at adding updates for things like this, for the most part they just need the sample files to be able to work it out, they'd be able to follow up with @estore009 if further technical detail on the file is required

The player seems to be working as it should. I also have a MotoProCam on my other motorcycle and that GPS is working properly. I've viewed the videos of both systems on both the Dash camera viewers I have and only the DV688 is lacking.

Download GX Player on our website :)

Can you provide a link to your site please? I do not know which site that is or what the GX player is specifically.

I have the GX Player. It would appear that this is the only player that will work with the DV688 to show speed and satellite images. The Dashcam Viewer and the DVPlayer will not work with the DV688 other than showing the video.

I have the GX Player. It would appear that this is the only player that will work with the DV688 to show speed and satellite images. The Dashcam Viewer and the DVPlayer will not work with the DV688 other than showing the video.
that's just further confirmation that your camera is fine, if you want it to work with the other players you'll need to supply sample files to the developers, they can only add support for different cameras once they get the sample files to work with, not all cameras store the data in the same way

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z DV688 2
T DV688 1
M DV688 15
34Ford DV688 4
1 DV688 1
Back