DV688 - Disappointing Installation

amorley

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been successfully using a MotoProCam for about a year on my 2015 BMW K1600GT. Like the Blueskysea DV688 it uses dual Sony Video Cameras interfaced to a central control unit which also supports a GPS. The only issue I had with the MotoProCam is that the control unit is not waterproof so I had to install it under my seat. It was a PITA to have to lift the seat to swap out the 128Gb microSD card every day if I needed to retain the videos of my long rides.

A fellow rider showed me the Blueskysea DV688 and I was very interested that the control unit is waterproof (IP67 rated). I went ahead and purchased a Blueskysea DV688 through Amazon earlier this month.

As recommended, I tested the unit using a USB powered source with the cameras, Remote and GPS installed. The DV688 did not operate correctly. The Blueskysea splash screen displayed for a few seconds and the unit made audible tones. The LED showed blue but then turned a solid red. Pressing the Menu button, or any other button did not provide any response. I tried two different, formatted high speed microSD cards. Although the unit writes the directory structures to the cards, no video was recorded.

I pressed the reset button, but the unit still did not turn on and operate correctly.

I decided to go ahead with the installation on my K1600GT and connected the DV688 power cable to the PDM60 which I use to power all my accessories.

I was very happy when I turned on the bike and the DV688 powered up correctly. I started to go through the Menu to configure the system to meet my needs. I was half way through the configuration when the DV688 just died. The LED went out and none of the buttons, or the rest had any effect. Shutting off, and then turning the bike on had no impact.

My only conclusion is that the DV688 control unit is defective. Can Blueskysea provide a replacement?

If I cannot receive a replacement controller, I shall be forced to remove the system from my K1600GT and return it to Amazon with necessary bad product reviews on Amazon, ST-Owners and the K1600Forum forums.

My only conclusion is that the DV688 control unit is defective. Can Blueskysea provide a replacement?
Thanks for your report, I will help you to solve it! We offer a 1-year warranty for our products, so a free replacement camera will be available for you!
Please PM your order number, thank you!

Thanks for the prompt response. I have PM'd you the information on my order and shipping address

Blueskysea promptly sent me a replacement DV688. :D

After installing the new unit, everything worked as advertised. :D:D:D

It is now installed on my BMW K1600GTS. :cool:

I shall post an update on how it performs at the end of this month when I return from a 5,000 mile around the central states and back through the Rockies.

Blueskysea promptly sent me a replacement DV688. :D

After installing the new unit, everything worked as advertised. :D:D:D

It is now installed on my BMW K1600GTS. :cool:

I shall post an update on how it performs at the end of this month when I return from a 5,000 mile around the central states and back through the Rockies.
amorley,

How'd that road trip go!? and how did the camera perform?

thanks!
Albert

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z DV688 2
T DV688 1
M DV688 15
M DV688 16
34Ford DV688 4
Back