DV688 some issues with install and electrical interference

Rob L

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 Black Box G1's, and 2 Blueskysea G1w-CB'S
I installed a DV688 on my 05 HD FLCTC last fall. The unit was operating great until I removed it from that bike and installed it on another HD, a 2012 FLHTCI. I noticed that the camera extension was damaged so I requested a replacement. It did take a couple of weeks for the part but I had a second DV688 kit to use on another bike, so I just borrowed the part from it until the replacement came, BUT… when I got the replacement camera extension, I found it would not work and the end was different. My original DV688 was an early model and they reversed the plugs on the newer model so the DVR had to be replaced.

I had trouble with the front camera not functioning sometimes after the install on the 2012 machine and after several Facebook conversations with support I decided to rethink my install. Originally on my 2005 which was a carbureted bike, I had the DVR mounted under a side cover which is the way I installed it on my 2012. The possible problem I thought may be the proximity to the ABS system on the bike, as it was directly over top of the DVR. The general consciences was that I was picking up electrical interference and since it was happening with only the front mounted camera when I moved the DVR into the tour pack I also placed the front cameras cable inside some electrical shielding that I picked up on Amazon. I ran the shielding over the camera cable as it went above the engine and tucked it under the fuel tank.

With the DV688 inside the tour pak it was much easier to access the memory card to check up on the recordings. We did replace the front camera and since then everything seems to be working as it should. I have replaced the longest camera lead and I also had the original DV688 replaced (no charge) when I bricked it trying to do a firmware update. I find the Lvbo and the support staff to be very helpful. I currently run 1 DV688, 3 B1w’s and one older G1w-c with a second G1w-c that I took out of a car I sold in March. Very inexpensive dash cams that can be great witness.

Attachments

• DVR.JPG
    DVR.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2489.JPG
    IMG_2489.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date