DV988 Pro - storage and other issues

BTV

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've recently purchase a DV988 Pro and just got back from my first bike trip with the camera. This is my 3rd bike DVR - Wonvon? MT23, and a BlueSkySea B1M.

The main reasons for purchasing the DV988 Pro were the mirror function for displaying the rear camera feed, having a decent size display, and being relatively happy with my B1M.

My biggest concern is the lack of storage control. I turned all of the SOS type settings OFF, as I am principally wanting to record my rides, with accident protection as a secondary concern, and parking/bumping protection being unimportant to me.

The camera shows 9 1/2 hours of video time available with a new 128gb card, so I thought I was good for my 8-9 hour trip. Unfortunately, it started over-writing my videos once it got 2/3 (80gb) full, and I lost significant footage of the trip. I can find no information on how to enable the full storage space on the mSD card. I'm assuming the unit is reserving space for SOS videos, but that is not what I want. Any ideas on how to bypass this, or is there a firmware update? Mine is 2021-03-22, so it is fairly recent.

The RoadCam software recommended in the manual was terrible, but I saw the other thread stating that BSS no longer recommended it and instead suggested YingZhen. This is much better, even though it is not fully translated to English on the main menu and some of the sub-menus. There wasn't anywhere in that software to control the storage, either.

Is there a way to increase screen brightness? The screen is fairly sensitive to viewing angle, but even when it is set perfectly, it's hard to see the screen in overcast/cloudy conditions, and impossible to see in bright daylight. It works fine when the sun is down, with the understanding that headlights sort of overpower the display.

Mine did not run well off USB power, either from a computer or a power supply, at home, but it works fine hard-wired to the bike. On USB power, it kept resetting itself in well under a minute.

The image stabilization is fine on smoother roads, but it doesn't quite keep up on rougher (paved) roads. I've tried different camera mounting positions, which has helped, but not completely eliminated the issue.

Sorry for the long first post. Really need some ideas/suggestions/solutions on the storage issue.

I'm assuming the unit is reserving space for SOS videos, but that is not what I want. Any ideas on how to bypass this, or is there a firmware update?
Yeah, reserved space for SOS files; Some users said that it is more important to save these locked files;
Is there a way to increase screen brightness?
No. Cannot adjust the screen brightness; We know it is not visible during the day time riding, but more cost to find a high brightness screen for DV988;
Suggest add a screen shield/cover?
On USB power, it kept resetting itself in well under a minute.
If USB power source, make sure its output 5V 2A to the DVR unit, or it will happen;
I've tried different camera mounting positions, which has helped, but not completely eliminated the issue.
No EIS for DV988. More practical to find a stable platform for its camera installation!

Well, I like this camera even less after your reply.
It is very poor design and customer service to no allow the customer to decide how much storage space to allocate for emergency files. Other cameras simple lock the emergency files, instead of wasting space and wiping out important memories. In my case, it wiped out the prettiest/most interesting part of the trip. The display shows the time for the entire card, so it was wiping my files while still showing that I had over 3 hours of recording time left. This really needs to be fixed.

Nothing in the advertising (ebay & aliexpress) gave any warning that the screen was useless in the daytime.

Nothing in the advertising indicated that the unit would not work with a standard 1 amp USB outlet. FWIW, I had the same issue with 2.1 amp USB chargers/power supplies.

The advertising indicated that the unit has "Dual Image Stabiliztion". From looking at the videos, it clearly DOES have EIS, but just not very powerful/high quality EIS. This is sold as a motorcycle dvr, intended to be permanently mounted. It is disingenuous to suggest "find a stable platform".

There is no option in the settings to disable the time stamp on the videos. Customers should have the choice to not have time stamps.

The "RoadCam" app is still being recommend on the website as well as in the booklet. It is a horrible app with invasive and unnecessary permissions.

I am very sorry that I purchased this camera. At this point, I am issuing a very strong DO NOT BUY for this product for anyone wanting to record their travels. It might work okay for people who only want a security camera, and never want to watch or publish any of their videos.

I was considering the BSS XB701 at the same time as the DV988 Pro, and clearly made a mistake in buying the DV988. Supposedly the XB701 has an adjustable brightness screen that can be seen in the daylight. It has buttons so that the menus can be accessed while wearing gloves. It boldly claims EIS instead of hiding it in the fine print. It doesn't indicate whether it wastes a huge amount of storage space. After the disappointment with the DV988 Pro, I'm not sure I want to throw away another couple of hundred dollars on another BlueSkySea product.

I'm not sure I want to throw away another couple of hundred dollars on another BlueSkySea product.
You can send it back to the seller for a refund if you do not like it!
The advertising indicated that the unit has "Dual Image Stabiliztion".
It was wrong if the advertising saying it has EIS;

I agree BTV. I would like to find another brand also. Waste of time for me to go on.

Reactions: BTV
I agree BTV. I would like to find another brand also. Waste of time for me to go on.
I'm going to check out the XB-701 closer, but have started the return process on the DV988 Pro. My B1M has been usable, but it turns out that not having a screen has more minuses than plusses for me. I haven't given up on BSS, but if the XB-701 doesn't look like it will work for me, I'll just move on.

I use my dv988 in a Polaris side by side and I am interested in something else. Curious about the xb701. I hope to god it don't output mov files.

My DV988 Pro's mirror function does not work. I tried settings, and reset but still no mirror for the rear cam. Anyone hacked this yet?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaioRider DV988 3
O DV988 3
Hawk5 DV988 9
Hawk5 DV988 7
Hawk5 DV988 4
Back