DVR-207 Low resolution & frame rate

Dan Martin

Reaction score
I just wanted to post some feedback for anyone considering the DVR-207. This model generates files at 1280x720 and 30 fps but the compression it uses delivers much lower resolution and frame rates. The actual resolution is not much better than 800x600 due to heavy artifacts as a result of poor compression algorithms. You will not be able to read a license plate from the video unless the car is less than 15 feet away and in bright daylight. The frame rate is also around 15 to 20 fps when recording at 720p. The file will read 30 fps, but some of the frames are duplicated resulting in a somewhat choppy playback.

I have tested multiple SD cards even an expensive 80MB/s Sandisk card and nothing improved the recording frame rate. This is a limitation of the chipset or firmware in the camera. Formatting cluster size also had no impact.

At the end of the day, we're talking about a $70 video camera here, so the price is probably fine for the quality. Just don't expect to get blu-ray 720p quality or even anything close to what a modern smartphone can record.

Agree with you. I was so disappointed with mine, I sent it back. Supplier (estore009) was very happy to change it for a different camera, and gave me a discount. Still waiting to receive it though. ;)

May I ask what new unit you went for ? I was going to buy a DVR 207 until I read all the bad reports !

Back