dvr207 ebay ebuyingsnow dashcam

directore

Reaction score
Country
United States
This ebay seller sells a fake dvr 207 claiming high definition, the camera is the well executed total fake it records at 640x480 as you can see here, all higher resolutions are interpolated. This video
is the best the camera is able to produce. Pictures on the ebay are total misrepresentation, both resolution or angle of view wise. Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/310717039698

Last edited:
I think anyone that buys a DVR207 these days (real or fake) hasn't done a lot of research, far better options in the market now

True, but this is meant as a warning to save other people the necessity of doing "research" on ebay. I would expect some appreciation of this public service not a comment like above.

True, but this is meant as a warning to save other people the necessity of doing "research" on ebay. I would expect some appreciation of this public service not a comment like above.

I think they would need to do research outside of eBay, the price says it's not an original version, as does the box it comes in, not the kind of thing someone could work out just by looking through eBay, that said though there are no decent products you could buy at that low price, it's an unreasonable expectation that it would be any good for the money

the eBay seller is not honest in describing the product and that alone is worth pointing out for sure

I think getting stung on EBAY may be a rite of passage.
Happened to me.
I had a feeling what I was buying would come up short but the cheapo in me kept saying "push the buy button"
Jokiin hit the nail on the head.

This ebay seller sells a fake dvr 207 claiming high definition, the camera is the well executed total fake it records at 640x480 as you can see here, all higher resolutions are interpolated. This video is the best the camera is able to produce. Pictures on the ebay are total misrepresentation, both resolution or angle of view wise. Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/310717039698

actually if you purchased this camera (assuming this is what it's about) then I'd suggest raising a claim if you paid through PayPal, don't put in a claim for 'not as described' though as this requires you to return the goods to get your money back, obviously not cost effective, if you put in a claim that the goods are counterfeit you don't need to return them (it is illegal to send counterfeit goods through the mail) and the charges can be credited back, a bit of mucking around but the seller obviously misrepresented the product

I see some people have left this vendor negative feedback on this camera already. In the text it does state:

WXGA 1280 x 960 pixels, 30fps (interpolated by software)
WVGA 720 X 480 pixels, 30fps (interpolated by software)
VGA 640 X 480 pixels, 30fps (recommended)

If it was legit, it should state 1280*720p. The title is incorrect though by stating HD720p.

I see some people have left this vendor negative feedback on this camera already. In the text it does state:

WXGA 1280 x 960 pixels, 30fps (interpolated by software)
WVGA 720 X 480 pixels, 30fps (interpolated by software)
VGA 640 X 480 pixels, 30fps (recommended)

If it was legit, it should state 1280*720p. The title is incorrect though by stating HD720p.

True re the fine print but the rest (the bulk of the description) is a blatant, in your face falsehood.

With a fake, who knows what you'll get, BUT even with the real DVR-207, to me the resolution appears to be 854 x 480. It can upscale it to 1280x720, but the source is always 854x480. Now if you don't mind an EDTV resolution, the camera does the job.

Now in looking at the video, the yellow text for date/time shows that the camera is a fake copy. The real DVR-207 is black text on a white background at the top of the screen.

Bob Diaz

With a fake, who knows what you'll get, BUT even with the real DVR-207, to me the resolution appears to be 854 x 480. It can upscale it to 1280x720, but the source is always 854x480. Now if you don't mind an EDTV resolution, the camera does the job.

Now in looking at the video, the yellow text for date/time shows that the camera is a fake copy. The real DVR-207 is black text on a white background at the top of the screen.

Bob Diaz

Agree, they all seem less than 720p to me, regardless (other than some ebay posts) where I look. My pocket Cannon takes far better 720p than that. I'm looking at this and similar models. Videos there show quality I would like to have, but can they be trusted? Anyone knows?

the screen text that shows the model is hard coded into the firmware, the sample video would be from the same camera they are selling, I've never dealt with Foxoffer personally but their reputation suggests you'll get exactly what you order

I've gotta admit eBay is not as bad as most people think, at least they weren't in this case, despite my filling my claim as "not as described" they issued a full refund after I escalated the case (the seller offered only $10 partial discount). The item was clearly a 640*480 fake. Robust fake but fake nevertheless as they advertised it as HD. It will go back on eBay now.

At this point I'm playing with another eBay DVR207, this time from futuretrend01, that is described in the FAQ on this site as real not fake. Real it appears to be, there is a (presumably functional) HDMI port, decent that is sufficiently wide field of view and I see some difference between 640x480 and 1280x720 settings although not enough to call it anything even remotely resembling 720p. On top of it there are massive problems with exposure as mentioned on this forum in a number of places already. Will go back on eBay too, soon.

Wring your hands people and weep if these are the best that can be designed/produced in China today , these cameras are epic examples of gross technical incompetence - optical, electronic or software wise. Junk anyway you look.

Strongly recommend not wasting your money on either one.

Finally how come some major camera manufacturer with well established credentials in HD recording will not take some of their pocket cameras (Canon for example), change the software a bit and start selling it as a dash-cam. Would make a killing I think.

Wring your hands people and weep if these are the best that can be designed/produced in China today , these cameras are epic examples of gross technical incompetence - optical, electronic or software wise. Junk anyway you look.

you started at the bottom of the market, nothing looks good from down there

What would you guys suggest is the best dash cam out on the market?

Have no idea, would like to hear from somebody too.

BTW here is my direct comparison of DVR207 (futuretrend01 on eBay, appears real)) and regular Canon pocket camera PowerShot Elph 110 both recording at 1280x720. Looks like DVR207 does not look that much worse.

BTW, managed to solve the problem with widely swinging exposure on this DVR207. The problem is the new lens design where the lens is flat with the case without any optical shielding (how stupid). This causes massive exposure problems unless corrected which in my case took a piece of black velcro attached with the help of a glue gun. (The fakeDVR207 that I had purchased previously had properly shielded lens and no problems with the exposure whatsoever, weird!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61121142@N04/10046530036/lightbox/

Last edited:

It depends on you needs.
If you have a strict budget i would try to hold out if you already have a camera and see how the G1W pans out.

If you have a bit of money to work with, don't mind the size or not having GPS i would look at the Vico TF2+ Premium for it's high heat resistance and night time picture quality.

Back