DYI A307 Novatek 96658 IMX323 with 16mm & 25mm aftermarket lens / CPL / 6MM F1.2 3MP STARLIGHT LENS

Leo_SF

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ended up putting a 25mm after market lens on a A307 96658 Novatek IMX323 sensor. There's a gap between the lens and the case so I temporarily put some thick black double sided sticky tape(I am sure someone could probably 3D print a little adapter). I am not sure what the exact magnification is but I would venture to say 4-8x? I usually drive about 3 car lengths behind the vehicle in front of me in the city where speed limit is 25-35mph. I had the dashcam on a suction cup so I'd venture to guess the stability wasn't optimum versus having it stuck with 3M tape.

Here's Zeepin brand of A307 for 40$(There was a deal in May for 25$). I bought a generic for 58$ of Ebay a few months back.

I got the 25mm lens of Ebay for 10$ but you can buy same lens on AliExpress for about half that.

http://www.zeepin.cc/product/zeepin-a307-wifi-hidden-dash-cam

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-Mount-Infrared-Night/421274_32832913855.html

Here's a sample night footage driving city streets:

I ended up attaching the dashcam with 3M tape under my rear view mirror next to my DDPAI MINI2.

It seems like the camera is not able to focus to infinity. When I turn it left or right from about this point, it becomes blurrier during focusing.

-----

It looks like vehicles in the neighboring lanes are completely out of view unless they are at least 5-6 car lengths in front of me.

Attachments

• A307_25mm.jpg
    A307_25mm.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 27
  • A307_25mm_.jpg
    A307_25mm_.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
25 mm thats mighty strong, i like 8 - 12 mm for my "zoomie"

Yep. I think it is probably 8x magnification(which is what Mobius likely uses for their airsoft cameras) which is a bit much. But Using Novatek 966658 / Sony IMX323 cheap dashcam is a solid option and I highly recommend it. Having a screen / WIFI is just a huge bonus. There's a few different cheap form factors for this chipset/sensor.

I ended up putting 16mm on the A307 and will see if its zoom is more useful. I will post comparison videos later.

Here's 16mm lens footage..

Here's a video with 16mm lens and CPL filter on. The CPL completely eliminates all dash reflections.

I used CPL from my mini 0806.

Here's the 6mm f1.2 1/2.5 3MP lens on the dashcam. It looks like left side is out of focus? Any suggestions on what to do?

I decided to try the FW96658A firmware file. Now I get a Chinese greeting and the screen doesn't turn on.

On the bright side the camera 37.374 (39.739 even for short clips) MBPS. If only I could get the screen to work. I am guessing WIFI cannot work at such a high MBPS.

This was ofcourse after I damaged /cracked my QIGE ACC500 sensor so there's now a hairline fracture when looking at footage.

Last edited:

This 3MP 6MM F1.2 has amazing night time performance. Here's a sample driving down a freeway with almost no light and yet I could clearly see a license plate next to me. I have not been able to get that with any other lens.

I originally recorded this with 37.4MBPS bitrate in 1080P@30FPS however I had to flip this video 180 degrees so the quality is slightly degraded going from 270MB to 61MB MPEG4 to MKV format.

Back