E button function

venezian

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A139Pro
What is the process the dashcam follows when the e button or g-sensor are triggered?

Does it only lock the file that is currently recording?

I've wondered what happens in a scenario where if you've got the camera set to 3 min intervals and it happens to be recording at minute 2 and 55 seconds, you catch an event, and by the time you press the E button, it's recording on the new file. Does it lock the previous file that just ended recording as well as the current clip?

finally, is this the same behavior for all the models? mainly interested in the 2K cam.

It always saves 2 files into the RO folder. (When you press the event save button) Either the current and one before or after depending.

If the current recording is 1-50% it will add the previous clip too
If the current recording is 51-100% it will add the next clip

Should be the same on all current models

This procedure of SG is by far my favorite event doctrine.

Others only save the current segment, which when you press the button might be right at the start of the segment or right at the end, and so things from before you press the button or things after you press the button are not in the locked file.
Locking #2 segments increase the chance of you having everything needed in a locked state, but i still strongly recommend that you do not skimp on memory card size in your dashcam system,,,,,, just in case.

As with any system you should of course secure important footage as soon as possible.
You should also as always make sure your system do not generate too many events, not least false ones that just clog up the storage set aside for events, a G-sensor that is on while you drive, and trigger by the sight of a pothole are no good.

Yet others only save XX seconds from before and XX seconds after,,,,, i do not like that at all, but it can still work again with a sufficient large memory card, and picking footage off as soon as you can.
But in that case i would only look upon event files as sort of "beacons" where something happened, and know there might very well be footage before and after you want to save too.

BTW the cameras also snap a PIC when you press the button, and as i use that button to save little things, going for that footage weeks later, and many of the things being "little" things in traffic, the picture taken are a nice beacon to where in the footage to look.

I have also made it a habit to say out loud why i pressed the button, i do this some seconds later so it is outside of the part i would use in a youtube upload.

With as little as i drive, and only get locked files when i press the button as i dont use G-sensor, my event folder have footage going back many - many months or at least to the last in camera format.

I do wish they’d mark the point at which the button was pressed on the timeline and map in Dashcam Viewer. I could swear it used to be that way in the older software I can’t remember the name of, the Russian developer who passed away. Started with an R.

Registrator viewer.

Back