Easily accessible Emergency / Lock / Accident Button for SG9665GC

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
There are times where you want to "lock file", but to do this while driving can be quite difficult to find a correct button ( centre "emergency lock file button" ) and at the same time keep your eyes on the road, especially if dashcam is hidden behind a RVmirror and if you have a thick fingers.

Here is a very simple solution.
Kitchen Cabinet Door Domed Buffer Pads. They are with a sticky glue from the flat side and size fits exactly over the Street Guardian SG9665GC lock file button.

SANY0001.JPG

SANY0003.JPG

SANY0004.JPG

SANY0005.JPG

SANY0006.JPG

SANY0007.JPG

SANY0008.JPG

SANY0009.JPG

SANY0010.JPG

Lol :D Kudos for ingenuity!

That's much better than fiddling around but I still think it's bad idea to take your attention (eyes, hands, mind) off the road when you need it the most.
It's okay for something that you want to save like someone driving bad, cutting off, a nice sports car, something interesting on the road etc... but not during the events when it involves your own car.
You'll have the file if needed on the card and if it's serious, you'd stop and take the card out anyways.
Now if there is a remote button next to the steering wheel, that'll be perfecto.

That's much better than fiddling around but I still think it's bad idea to take your attention off the road when you need it the most.
It's okay for something that you want to save like someone driving bad, cutting off but not during the events when it involves your own car.
You'll have the file if needed on the card and if it's serious, you'd stop and take the card out anyways.
Now if there is a remote button next to the steering wheel, that'll be perfecto.
I agree with you on safety point.
This "diy solution" is meant for those who have "magnet in their finger" and are really tempted to push that button. Its makes their "attempt to push" more safer.
We can do nothing if button is there, - there will be people who is going to use them no matter how many warnings you write into user manual. I guess from same logic in-car mobile phones hands-free was invented.

@niko
I've never used that button in over a dozen dashcams I have/had.

You know what would be a better solution?
Voice command.
Dashcams already have microphones so all they need to do is activate voice command.
As soon as you shout/yell 'SAVE VIDEO' or something similar (fk fk fk etc... when you are mad), it saves that file as event.
That'd be perfect and no need for additional hardware for remote button.
I think that's doable like voice calling on phones.
Now it's my idea and I need royalty if anyone implements it. :D

Remind me of when i tried to use that "poo" on my android phone, frustrating as hell and allso big fun.

Create a (wireless) link to the horn signal ;-)

And now seriously: I use the finger to hit the camera and create locked file.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Create a (wireless) link to the horn signal ;-)
Bad idea.
Looking/hearing all the road rage incidents, quite a few started with honking.
You want the video, don't want to piss off already mad drivers even more.

@niko
You know what would be a better solution?

Yes, I know ;)

But there is a difference between "what would be" and "what it is here / now".

Of course we all have tons of ideas how to develop / change dashcams to be more advanced, or user-friendly ( we have for that other thread in SG sub-forum ), but this thread is about what and how "average Joe" with minimal effort can make SG slightly better and more practical on basis of existing solution, if he decides it is useful for him.

Good idea for this diy . I think i will do it too.

I don't know if anyone used to experience this situation.
I was driving and i wanted to lock the footage. It was kind of busy traffic , so I had to keep my eyes on the street. I just pressed the emergency button one time, and I thought it lock the file for me already.

Unfortunately, i found out that it did not lock the file for me, it just wake up the display.

Now, I know that I have to press it twice.

Please correct me if I misunderstood this function.

it will take two presses, once to wake it, another to save, that's standard on most cameras

we may look at fine tuning this procedure, some more pressing issues at the moment

I find it easier to just keep one of these within easy reach :cool:
images77D34G7K.jpg

I have a voice command that works 100%
I yell "keep" (rather in french garder) and the wife presses the button. Fast, dependable, easy, safe.

At least she can see the cam behind the mirror. I don't.

And, did you know that this pad is now standard in deliveries from Hiniko?
No need to ask where do I find one....:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T SG9665GC 2
Back