BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
Created this CPL Alignment video after noticing dash reflections reappearing in road footage clips caused by the CPL shifting after one year of use. The Alignment method in this video uses the Dashcam's LCD screen for a quick an perfect DIY repair.

you didn't put a mark on a filter glass right after initial aligning?! :)

you didn't put a mark on a filter glass right after initial aligning?! :)
CPL used is this video was replacement, original was defective with strong rainbow pattern from extreme heat from day one. Can't return it once lens is marked.

Once I have it aligned, does it matter which way up I put the filter?

Is the official CPL filter okay for night use, or should I take it off?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Up to you if you use it at night or not, it does have some effect on the picture

Works the same either way

Many TV's (and many computer monitors) aren't the correct orientation, but mine all are standard so I use the following method.

1DLnzTN.png

Once I have it aligned, does it matter which way up I put the filter?

Is the official CPL filter okay for night use, or should I take it off?

Thanks.
Once aligned you can clip the CPL in either position but as shown in the video always attach CPL with wide slot upwards so the lens won't slip out on a hot day.

Many TV's (and many computer monitors) aren't the correct orientation, but mine all are standard so I use the following method.

1DLnzTN.png
Nearly all TVs are correct, a TV that looks black if you happen to be wearing your polarised glasses would be useless!
Not all monitors are though, for some reason you are not supposed to have polarised reading glasses.
And you can expect phones and dashcam screens to be at 45 degrees, which isn't much use since you don't know if it is + or - 45 degrees.
3D TVs are no good.

Align it in the vehicle by placing something on the dash that reflects in the windshield/windscreen.

Looking through the filter rotate it until you get maximum reduction of the reflection in the glass. You're done.

No worries about the orientation of any screen you might be using.

Once aligned you can clip the CPL in either position but as shown in the video always attach CPL with wide slot upwards so the lens won't slip out on a hot day.

Thanks, I hadn't realise there was a wide/narrow slot! I did my adjustments as though I was inserting it that way.

Align it in the vehicle by placing something on the dash that reflects in the windshield/windscreen.

Looking through the filter rotate it until you get maximum reduction of the reflection in the glass. You're done.

No worries about the orientation of any screen you might be using.

Thanks, I used a piece of white paper on the dash and did this method. Now I just need to get my CPL clean after adjusting it!

You all are correct. Tested as follows:
On PC monitor as @BCHobbyist
On TV as @Street Guardian USA
In the car as @DT MI
All variants have determined the same CPL position. And the reflections on the windshield are almost invisible.

Back